1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Welcome to North Carolina

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Martin, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OH MY Goodness!

I get a jury summons once a year here. It is the most frequently summonsing place that we've every lived.

Slipping it through the car window. I don't think I'd ever leave the house!

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in Ononadaga County, you are subject to Jury service no more than every 8 years - that right - eight years:thumbs:

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've lived here for nearly 28 years and never been summonsed. My husband who was born here was summonsed 2 years ago and they let him off because our son is a felon who was on parole at the time.

5. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

One hour to show up for jury duty? I can promise you that no lawyer would want me on the jury. I would be prejudiced against the local sheriff's department.

#5 Carolina Baptist, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2007
  6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Here, everyone gets a summons about once every 16 months. You serve for a month at a time. However, we have few trials, so during my last round, I had to show up at court once, and the person pled guilty before the jury was even select. In my wife's last round, she didn't have to go in at all. We did have a murder trial recently, though, and some national news show came and interviewed the jurors after the trial because they came back with "not guilty".

Of course, before the trial, reading through the news, I told my wife that no matter how guilty the man was (and there is little doubt in anyone's mind that he was guilty), that they would never be able to prove intent. If the prosecutor had gone for a different charge, he would at least have received some punishment, because they could have proved some of the lesser charges. (And, everyone knows everyone, so...)

But, here, if you don't show up for jury duty, you don't get your pfd check. That gets almost 100% compliance with jury duty, although I'd say locally, about 75% of the people consider it their duty and don't even try to get out of it.

Oh, last time I served, I knew 14 of the 48 people called, and 3 of them were teachers at the same school, where there are a grand total of 6 teachers. Talk about tough finding substitutes!