1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Well known Calvinist that have died for the faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Martyrs who held to the doctrines of grace.

Paul having received the doctine from God and after writing them and sharing with others was put to death.

Many who were killed doing the 3 major Roman persecutions cannot be claimed as only free-willers.

Augustine of Hippo resist the Vandals Arian heresy and was killed because of it.

The Waldenses, are well known for their hold to the doctrines of grace and had numerous martyrdoms. The Waldenses met with Luther, and asked Calvin to translate the Bible into French. If I remember right, it was Calvin's cousin that Calvin asked to translate this for them.

Wycliffe did not die because of his faith, but the RCC sure wanted it that way. Three decades after his death, Wycliffe's bones were dragged from their grave and burned.

John Huss, the proselyte of Wycliffe, and a believer of the tenents of grace, was burned to death.

Jerome of Prague, was likewise burned.

William Sautre, John Claydon, Thomas Bilvey, Tyndale, James Bainham, John Lambert, and Robert Barnes were all burned to death for the Christian faith.

Cranmer, Ridley, Latimer , and John Hooper (1495-1554), also died in flames of fire.

John Foxe, not a martyr, but martyr-historian ["Foxe's Book of Martyrs"], was also a Calvinist.

Now this list about is not full. This is mainly leaders.

Augustus Toplady once challenged the Arminians of his time to produce evidence that an Arminian had ever gone to death in martyrdom.

I can think of one. Is there another?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me get this straight...you are claiming as Calvinists Paul, a bunch of Romans, Augustine, the Waldenses and a bunch of other people who lived before Calvin systemetized his doctrine? Absurd! :laugh: :laugh:

One more reason to stay out of the C/A debates! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Thanks John. I recognized that a couple of those predated Calvin but I didn't want to be the one to "rub the cat's fur the wrong way" over it.

BTW, Dr Rogers used to say that if you feel like a cat whose fur is being rubbed the wrong way, the simple solution is to TURN AROUND! :laugh:

skypair

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alas, I just couldn't resist that post. It's bedtime here in Japan and I've been up too late already. Shouldn't post this late! Hopefully Jarthur001 will forgive me--but it still seems absurd! Maybe he meant it as a joke. :smilewinkgrin:

Oyasumi nasai. ("Rest well.") [​IMG]

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

The other day when Skypair asked the question about Calvinist martyrs, I thought immediately of all the Huguenots who died in the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre. Seventy thousand in all, we're told.

#5 russell55, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Absurd? :)

And still there is no understanding of the doctrine. Most of us would call it "the Doctrines of Grace". Calvinism did not start with John Calvin. It is those that do not like the doctrines of grace that nick-name those that DO by another name in mock. The latest of these nick-names being Calvinism.

In other words, any one that has studied church history, would also know that the Reformation was essentially a revival of Paulinism, for the distinctive Pauline doctrine of justification by faith was and has remained for all Protestant churches "the article of faith by which the Church stands or falls" (Luther). In fact this was the 1st label given to the Doctrines of Grace. For a good read on this please read "The History of Dogma Author: Harnack, Adolf (1851-1930)

Absurd?

Also another book you may want to read is this .....BOOK LINK

When Augustine came around, those that did not believe as Augustine called the doctrine...Augustinism. Augustinism is the same doctrine found in Paulinism. Both are the doctrines of grace.

Augustinism can be read about in this BOOK
    Absurd?

Waldensian doctrine was very much toward the doctrines of grace. This can be seen in many places. They were more in line with Luther then Calvin, but fact remains on the doctrines of grace they all agreed.

at this LINK you will read the text below.
    Is it absurd that the long list already given in the OP, held to the same doctrines? :)

Reformers of the middle ages from Agobard to Wessel in the bosom of the mediæval Church.... Luther after the Scholastics...all held the same doctrines of grace...now known as Calvinism.

And how about Jansenism after the council of Trent?

We may not agree with all of Jansenism, but the doctrines of grace now known as Calvinism is the same as Pauline doctrine of old.

#6 Jarthur001, Sep 9, 2007
  7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Some have marked this number as high as 110,000.

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I read somewhere that the hatred of a certain pope against the Jansenians was especially fierce. Of course, how much more fierce could be expressed beyond killing so many Huguenots that there bodies clogged the flow of the water in the nearby river?

The shallow history of the reformation, like the history some of us learned as college freshmen, depicts a fuss over bad priestly behavior that got out of control. But it was the "reformers" of the like of Erasmus that was of this opinion. Luther clearly led a doctrinal reformation - a return, as you said, to Paulism, the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith.

The most shocking of all the martyrdoms for me was the story of Cranmer and Latimer. They were the king's buddies one day and were burned the next day.

A lot of people don't understand the complexity of the reformation in England. In the early days, both Catholics and Protestants were subject to persecution. The Church of England, once it was finally identified as a separate entity from the Roman church, didn't officially adopt protestant doctrines until much later. And then there was the back-and-forth between catholic and non-catholic monarchs.

It all makes me so grateful to be alive in this day and in this country, where we can preach without threat to our lives and well being.

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

And not just Calvinists of old (Jarthur, your post was excellent in bring the knowledge that the doctrines of grace have been held by Christians for centuries) but those who hold such doctrines today. One such couple, a Reformed Baptist couple, we learned this morning were recently murdered in Pakistan. They went to Pakistan to being a Church, and did, with many souls saved and among opposition of the Gospel. Two church members (obviously false brethren) murdered them.

I don't think Jarthur's post was to shed special light on calvinists as martyrs, but that such have stood the test of faith like others. They are our brothers and sisters in Christ, as others, preaching the Gospel and suffering for their faith.

I thank God too that in His Providence He has given us freedom from threat of loss of life in the USA generally. Things may not alwasy stay this way for us. If it changes, may the Lord prepare our hearts to be faithful unto death.

RB

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, sorry, still absurd. Just like reading pretrib doctrine into the church fathers would be.

I have read quite a bit of the church fathers, and there is no way possible to make those dudes Calvinists, I don't care how you define it. Absurd!!

Any why do so many of you guys immediately scream, "You don't understand our doctrine!" You don't have a clue what I know. I've never interacted with you.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell you what, Jarthur001. I'll take back my "absurd" if you can prove the TULIP from the Apostolic Fathers. Take your time, don't hurry, you may be studying awhile.

I'll give you a head start. The term "election" only occurs twice in the Apostolic Fathers, and here they are:

The Martyrdom of Polycarp 20:1--Ye indeed required that the things which happened should be shown unto you at greater length: but we for the present have certified you as it were in a summary through our brother Marcianus. When then ye have informed yourselves of these things, send the letter about likewise to the brethren which are farther off, that they also may glorify the Lord, who maketh election from His own servants.

The Epistle to Diognetus 4:4--Again, to vaunt the mutilation of the flesh as a token of election as though for this reason they were particularly beloved by God, is not this ridiculous?

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Can I show TULIP? No you are right. Doctrines of grace with election just as Calvinist hold....yes I can show this. :)

But before I do this, you must see a point here. There happens to be good reason why you see little writing on this from the early church. I'm sure you have had seminary studies. If you think back into ancient and medieval Church history or maybe in Biblical theology, you were posed with why this is the case.

To prove my point using your own measurement of proof you placed on me, I want you to find for me the word "Trinity" in the "The Apostolic Fathers."

Trinity is not found, but I can show you where they believe it the trinity, but did not know how to say it.

So anyway..here we go.

BTW...never mind the taking back your "absurd". I use to it. :)

and....

You are wrong. You have attacked me before. It was over a year ago in the missions thread. No need to say your sorry on this either.

#12 Jarthur001, Sep 9, 2007
  13. ReformedBaptist

Now, I am thoroughly impressed with what Jarthur replied to this with. But my comment in this regard is why in the world would I prove it from the fathers (as the nickname goes) as though they add an authority equal to Scripture, which I highly doubt you mean to do or is your intent.

Let things be proved from Scripture, for they, and they ALONE are profitable for doctrine and instruction in righteousness. Let us not follow Rome in this type of reasoning.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to just approach this from a historical viewpoint. I don't have any desire whatsoever to get into a theological discussion on these issues.

The difference here is that the trinity, while being a Biblical concept, is not a Biblical word. Election, however, is an entirely Biblical word, and I believe in the doctrine of election (though you probably would complain about how I stated it).

Now, we may find the teaching of the trinity in the church fathers, but we won't find the term. On the other hand, we do find the terms "election" and "elect" in the Apostolic Fathers, but we will not find the teaching. They don't quote or explain any verses on election and precious few on the word "elect"--almost without fail simply as a synonym for "believer." The doctrine was just not on the radar of the Apostolic Fathers, just as many other doctrines were not. I'm pre-mil and pre-trib, but believe me I'm not going to call any church fathers pre-mil and pre-trib.

You may find a little more in the later fathers, but I doubt it except for Augustine. And to call Augustine a Calvinist in my opinion is again, absurd! It is historical revisionism. Augustine influenced Calvin, but it is utterly impossible for Calvin to have influenced Augustine--unless you believe in a divine time machine. :smilewinkgrin:
    Please know that I think your position is absurd, not you.
    No, I have never attacked you on the missions thread, nor have I attacked anyone else on the missions thread, not a year ago, not ever. I was very upset at that time at people dragging theological debates onto the missions thread, but you will not find where I attacked you. I may have rebuked you--but if you think that is the same as an attack, you are sadly wrong.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, I have carefully read all that you posted from the Fathers, and remain totally unconvinced that what you quoted shows Calvinism. I personally could agree completely with everything you quoted from them, and I am certainly not a Calvinist. What you have not proven (and cannot) from the Fathers is limited atonement or irresistible grace. I'm disappointed. Surely you can do better than this.

Oh, wait, I forgot to mention. None of your quotes are from the Apostolic Fathers. They are all from later fathers. Nice try.

#15 John of Japan, Sep 9, 2007
  16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, come now, you're smarter than this. The thread started out with a historical argument and I'm continuing in that vein. Are you going to then try to make it into a theological argument? The minute that happens the thread is hijacked and I'm out of here. :rolleyes:

#16 John of Japan, Sep 9, 2007
  17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

ok...why were we elected? Most non Calvinist say because God foresaw us believeing.

Calvinist say election was so that we will believe.

this is what was said in the post above. :)

#17 Jarthur001, Sep 9, 2007
  18. ReformedBaptist

Touchy touchy. Have fun in your debating.

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

John...no big deal about the going forward with the debate. But I have shown some support where you asked. I also understand you disagree. Such are all debates.

But as to why there is little seen on election...and why there is none seen on the trinity ties the two together. AND YES...IT DOES HAVE TO DO SOMETHING WITH HISTORY.

well...sort of. :)

do you know why? :)

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Annnnnd, that gets into a theological debate. If you want to hijack your own thread, that's fine with me. Just don't expect me to go along.

Let's try something else. You include Tyndale in your list of Calvinist martyrs. I'm very curious as to how you get that. Tyndale lived 1494-1536. Calvin lived 1509-1564. Furthermore, we have very little left that Tyndale wrote other than his NT translation, and I've never seen anything of it myself. So, how do you know Tyndale was a Calvinist?