1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Went to a Reformed Church tonight

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And when you have to reinforce each week that its human effort that accomplishes salvation...that is the determining factor.....same rules apply to the above commentary. Sickening isn't it.,...do you think that perhaps these churches are obsessive/compulsive?

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes she found out and me and her and the pastor had a debate/discussion last night. However the pastor spoke in my favor as I was not the type of Calvinist he was against which based on what he said more o the Hyper persuasion. My wife admitted she was wrong for attacking Calvinist which I found ironic considering she carries a MacArthur SB. I also agreed to become a member as long as they understand my Calvinism and not try and persuade me or attack me. I have been to IFB churches that did this and they made me angry. I have been to IFB churches that attacked the modern translations, and all in their ignorance. Once in SC in 2008 a teacher really ticked me off and I confronted him in the class about his comments which were very blasphemous. However I could not reason with a brick wall so I found it better to take a leave to another church.

I did say I would still read Calvinists but I would not go to another church but I also made it clear they are not going to convince me as I won't them. The pastor seemed graceful as my wife and the ending went well, despite the rocky start. God worked and I praise Him for the ending last night.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Why did you agree to not go to another church? We are free to go whithersoever we feel led to go.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know what I meant. Reformed with Dispensationalism are different than Reformed without dispensaionalism.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When doctrine becomes more important than one's wife then their is a maturity problem.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is that any of your business to say that oh great Oz.

I put my business before my wife I'm sorry to say....but we grew from there. So I wont criticize.....at least not publically. If you have something to tell him....call him or write him privately. So him some affection, some maturity, some mercy.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has it been your experience that most IFB churches consider differences in soteriological views to be valid reasons for divisions within the local body or even a measure of spiritual discernment among believers?

I understand that people reason through Scripture differently and with two conflicting views both cannot be correct - I understand standing on what you believe - although I suppose I lean towards the possibility of error in both views (including my own). But the idea that this is such a dividing force in our churches is something that is a bit foreign to me (experientially speaking).

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on the doctrine. But yes for once you are right and this one is not a dividing issue.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mitchell is not a encouraging but a discouraging type of person. Mitchell loves to criticize, attack, and dish out negative comments. I expect no better. But I only wish he would change his behavior.

#69 evangelist6589, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes some IFB churches are this way. Some are very anti-Calvinist and love to dish out attacks on Reformed. I myself am a former Arminian whom has seen the light about its doctrines. But a church that wishes to preach the "God has a wonderful plan" for your life message is going to rub shoulders against any Reformed. Sadly this message is more common in IFB churches.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the pastor clearly said there is no reason to divide from Arminian on these issues and I had a chat with him and another member about my situation after. They both agreed that Arminianism is wrong, however they did not classify it a cult, nor tell me to cause division with my wife. They did not have an answer for my situation.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in a tight situation. Also IFB can be very controlling.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes that reminds me exactly of KJVO type churches like the one you attend. So militant on their beloved KJV, and so anti NIV, and modern versions, they are AFRAID of looking outside the box. KJVO are some of the most bigoted types I have ever met. I have had debates with some of them on the streets while I was in SC. They were very anti Way of the Master, anti Reformed theology, and anti NIV. It was IMPOSSIBLE to reason with them.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crack that whip!

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And so is this church like that?

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You're correct, he sows discord daily.

As to the OP, I hope you can lead your wife out of that IFB mess.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank God no!

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much prayer... Much prayer...

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

We will pray for both of you.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There I am apt to agree with you...ive personally never seen one that was not at heart extremely legalistic and you can just about guarantee that someone there will speak desparigenly about Calvinism and those apostate Calvinists ....just wait for it. But then what are you gonna do Evangel? And your wife thinks she has won the battle of "the church "....and I will bet she isn't taking any prisoners. Not after she ratted you out to her pastor. Did it real quick too.

#80 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.