1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Were Joseph and Mary ever "married?"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Jun 26, 2012.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

Or did they simply live together?

Did Jewish priests and rabbis normally conduct official marriage ceremonies? Was a marriage added to a temple list of married people? I don't know. You all instruct me.

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

A lot of folks around here take the position that if the Bible doesn't say it, it didn't happen. The Bible says nothing about a wedding between Mary and Joseph so I guess they were "living in sin." :eek:

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The answer is not complicated at all.

Matthew 1:24-25 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
    --The account declares that they were married: man and wife. He took unto him his wife. Couldn't be any clearer. Before that time, he was thinking of divorcing her.

25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
    --They had not yet had marital relations. They abstained because of Mary's condition, which of course, was from above, a supernatural condition. Joseph obeyed the Lord. But the verse says plainly that the marriage consummated physically after Christ was born.