1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Were Old Tesament Saints Born Again?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you fallible?

#301 Jedi Knight, May 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
  2. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

DHK do you have some thoughts are you just being a drive by shooter?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Peter 1:3 says we are born again through the resurrection of Christ. Is the inspired word of God fallible? Did God say the OTS had to wait to be made perfect? Did God say no one had ascended to heaven before Christ died?

Your problem is not with my often flawed efforts at understanding scripture, your problem is scripture period.

4. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

OP: Were Old Testament Saints Born Again? You said "no" and shared so......NOW anyone else?

#304 Jedi Knight, May 11, 2013
  5. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

OT believers experienced the new birth and indwelling of the Holy Spirit. When Nicodemus was bewildered about Jesus' demand for new birth by the Spirit, Jesus responded (John 3:10), "Are you a teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand this?" In other words, I'm not teaching or requiring anything new. Any Israelite who has ever been saved had to be born again by God's Spirit. Otherwise how would they ever overcome their natural hostility to God? How could they have ever submitted to God's law and pleased him—as many did, like Abel and Noah and Abraham and Moses and Rahab and Ruth and Deborah and David?

Paul says in Romans 8:7–9, "The mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law, indeed, it cannot; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh, you are in the Spirit if the Spirit of God really dwells in you." There are two groups of humans: those in the flesh (born of the flesh) and those in the Spirit (born again of the Spirit). Those in the flesh are devoid of the Spirit and cannot submit to God's law or please God. Those in the Spirit are indwelt by the Spirit and are enabled by him to fulfill the just requirement of the law.

This means that all the saints of the OT who trusted God and followed his ways in the obedience of faith were born again by the Spirit and indwelt by the Spirit. For example, Numbers 14:24 says of Caleb, "My servant Caleb, because he has a different Spirit and has followed me fully, I will bring into this land." And Numbers 27: 18 says, "And the Lord said to Moses, 'Take Joshua the son of Nun, in whom is the spirit, and lay your hand upon him.'" The OT believers were saved the same way we are: they were born of the Spirit, they trusted in God's promises, and they followed his commandments in the obedience of faith. John Piper http://www.desiringgod.org/resource...evers-experienced-the-spirit-before-pentecost

#305 Jedi Knight, May 11, 2013
  6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yes indeed, if we believe in the inner logic of Scripture and thus its unity.

7. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

This false teaching of regeneration before faith takes away what is important. His words the words of life. Without that no one will find out the path that leads us to life and the Holy Spirit not to be just used by the Holy Spirit. If you did not receive His word you would not even know about the resurrection that we are born again through. It was His word that lead me to Jesus my life before that I was created for destruction and Jesus saved me for what I was destined for. He gave me a new life through His word that lead me to Christ. We can never understand until you know what you were and headed for when you was walking on your own. Then when you know who you really are you will not trust your mind your own understand only His word your new heart.

#307 psalms109:31, May 11, 2013
  8. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This is an excellent OP and topic. As such it exposes the belief systems of those who respond, finding such to be either Scripturally accurate in their theological stance or otherwise. OT saints were certainly born again. John 3 secures this truth and expounds upon it. Those who oppose this truth need to examine their theological error as to why they disbelieve something that is so glaringly apparent in Scripture.

- Blessings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.