1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Were the Authors of the Federalist Papers Liars?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

C'mon, you don't really believe that, do you? What exactly do you deem aggressive acts? For that matter what about North Korea?

2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Excellent point!

3. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Quite the oxymoron isn't it! :laugh:

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I don't believe in war for the sake of war but I do believe there will be war until the end of time and that we must do what we must to keep the peace. In the case of terrorism I think we're in for a very long hard fight.

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

North Korea is an example often thrown up by those that oppose what we're doing in Iraq. We've already fought a long hard war in Korea and succeded in at least helping to establish a division. We still have military forces present in South Korea to hold that line although less than we once did. We've been there 50 years - a long time - and stuck to our resolve. North Korea does a lot of saber rattling but hasn't been the kind of threat to the USA that it once was during the high times of Communism. It still bears watching but it's not necessary for us to fight North Korea right now. That could change depending upon what they do.

#45 Dragoon68, May 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

There has been and will be perpetual war on this earth. That's no oxymoron!

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Okay, if you want to compare national debt to GDP rather than national defict to GDP then the numbers are different:

1945 - 118%
    1953 - 71%
    1961 - 55%
    1973 - 36%
    1981 - 33%
    1993 - 66%
    1997 - 66%
    2001 - 57%
    2006 - 68%

It goes up and down. It's too high and always has been! The trend is up and that's not good! Personally, I don't like being in debt. I've worked hard to eliminate all my debts. I think it's better that way. I'd like to see government do likewise.

There are three ways to get there: (1) increase taxes (that reduces GDP), (2) reduce spending (that increases GDP), and (3) increase production of goods and services (that requires investment which requires borrowing or harder work against harder competetion). We struggle will all three of these for many reasons way beyond the scope of this thread.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree it will take a long time to defeat al Qaeda and its Taliban allies. It's too bad that President Bush foolishly took his eye off of them and decided to go after Saddam Hussein instead.

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Saddam Hussein and his government was most certainly a major and long lived problem and clearly addressed in the joint resoultion by Congress. He's been taken care of now and we're busy with the other items. Meanwhile, things have also continued to move forward in Afgahistan. No one, except maybe the news media, has taken their eye off them.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iraq has never been a threat to these United States.

Anyone who thinks that the Bush administration did not take its eye off the ball by invading Iraq and that things have continued moving forward in Afghanistan while the debacle in Iraq has developed is blinded by Bush "conservatism".

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

No doubt!

Dragoon there is a difference between being a long lived problem and being a long lived threat. The two are not synonymous. Sadam, while evil in his own right, was more a thorn in the side than actual threat to these United States.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, the able jurist, Joseph Story, was the youngest man to ever sit on the Supreme Court of the USA, appointed at the age of 32, and did so for over 33 years and 7 mos. until his death.

Ed

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, the USA has had a 'standing army' since at least the adoption of the Constitution, although at one time in the late 1700's it was fewer than one hundred troops, and the military reached it's maximum during WWII, I believe, at over 8 million.

Ed

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. That is why I wrote "or certainly not a very large one". It is only since World War II that we have had a large standing army on a constant basis.

15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That also is a result of unresolved problems from World War II which set the stage for several subsequent wars.

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No, Iraq was and Iran, Syria, and others still are threats to the USA. Choose your own term - problem or threat - but in this case they are synoymous.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I have no problem with maintaining a large standing army. I just want it used to defend the interests of the United States and to defeat those who attack us such as al Qaeda and its Taliban allies. It should not be used to try to build the neo-con dream of an American Empire by invading Iraq to try to start remaking the Middle East in the neo-con's image.

18. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The dream is an America secure from terrorism wherever it might originate. Dealing with Iraq was and is a part of that effort not the exclusion of others.

The dream has nothing to do with an American Empire. Building empires abroad is the goal some other nations - some friend and some foe - have fancied over the years.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evidently, Dragoon68, I am more familiar with the neo-cons, who talked President Bush into invading Iraq, than you are.

Iraq has not, to this very day, ever attacked the United States.

20. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Ken if you were a miltary industrialist with most of congress the executive and alot of media in your pocket which would you "bank on". A shorter more limited war or a much longer and more destructive war over a wider area?