1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Were you home-schooled?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Rubato 1, Mar 13, 2008.

?
  1. Home-schooled throughout and happy with education

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Home-schooled throughout and unhappy with education

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Home-schooled in part only and happy with education

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Home-schooled in part and unhappy with education

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Were you home-schooled for a portion of your grade schooling?
    How long and how beneficial was it?

I was home-schooled for 2nd through 5th grade, and am happy with how I was taught.

#1 Rubato 1, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008
  2. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rubato, I'd love to answer your question ("Were you home-schooled?") but there's no option for lowly little me.
    Not even an 'other' button. :(

Perhaps you could add two more options:

I was public-schooled throughout and happy with education
    I was public-schooled throughout and unhappy with education​

I'm guessing you would have more participation with the added options ...

#2 PJ, Mar 13, 2008
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was public-schooled throughout grades 1-12 and was sometimes happy and sometimes very unhappy with my education.

Based on what I have seen working for a non-religious private school, I believed I would have thrived in a strong non-religious private school.

My local school district worked toward training us for blue-collar union refinery jobs instead and almost completely ignored the fine arts. Of course when my senior class graduated, those jobs were almost impossible to find, the power of the union was broken (mostly a good thing) and long-time employees were being laid off.

I spent a lot of time in college playing catch-up in the liberal arts departments.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I receeved a publik ejacashun but my three yunguns wur home skooled.

5. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I used to get home whippins for what I did in public school. :rolleyes: Does that count?

6. Joe

Joe New Member

The Principal of our school used to give spankings to some of the kids. I was called in for smoking cigarettes on school grounds, they had warned me twice prior but I was addicted. I noticed he locked the door behind me, and the secretary had left early. He told me he was going to spank me.
    I thought I was going to be raped (no grown man is touching me there!) so I started swearing, threatening him then grabbed a chair, and broke out the window in his office. Jumped out the window, ran to the bus which was right in front. It wasn't my bus, just the only one left. This was in the fourth grade.

It took until I was in my twenties to realize he probably wasn't planning on attacking me. The scar from the stitches is still somewhat visible.

Funny thing is, he died of AIDS

Homeschooling is the better option imo, because only when your children are with you, do you know they are safe.

#6 Joe, Mar 13, 2008
  7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Like PJ, I found it strange that the poll question, "Where you home-schooled?" did not have a "No" option. I was educated in state schools ("Public school" means something quite different over here - an independent fee-paying secondary school, such as Eton or Harrow). I find it impossible to judge whether I would have received more or fewer benefits from home education; I think that question could only be answered by someone who has experienced both.

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I was public schooled. Homeschooling would have been far worse. Mother is mentally unstable and only had a 6th grade education. Her father thought girls needed no more. Thinking like that is why we now have complusory education laws.

Was I ever happy with my education? Not that I can recall. High School was better than the rest, but for the most part I was rarely challenged until we moved when I was in eighth and then I discovered just how bad my earlier education had been. Add to that the fact that I was half blind (literally) and undiagnosed until the end of that year (due to said unstable mother who insisted for months that I didn't have a problem) my education till then was really, really bad. Took two years of high school to catch up. In retrospect, someone should have insisted that I retake 8th grade. But, because the grades from the previous school were all A's(from someone who couldn't even see the blackboard) they passed me on.

All in all, homeschooling and having to deal with mother all day every day, would have been much much worse!

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i wuz a publik skool produk two...my children are in a Christian School.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Not enough options.

11. billreber

billreber New Member

I was in a public school all the way, but my step-father actually taught me most of the stuff I learned.

To give an example of what I mean, when the school was trying to teach me how to multiply, they did not teach the multiplication tables, but something they then called the "New Math". Dad wrote the tables out for me, and required me to memorize them. Then I could pass the tests at school!

The exception to "Dad taught me" was my love of reading -- Mom did that! She was a librarian, and we read every night. It got me in trouble once, though! You see, I let this door-to-door book salesman in the house one evening while Mom was in the bathroom. Yep, she married him!

Bill :laugh: :laugh: :godisgood:

12. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I was public schooled from 1st thru 9th grades, then Christian schooled. We had very conservative public schools then, with mostly Christian teachers. We even said the blessing before lunch, and the Christmas story was read at the Christmas Party. That is, up until the 9th grade (1972), when I started high school. Lots of drugs and lots of teachers who were just plain ungodly. That's when my parents moved me to Christian school.

I was happy with the Christian School as well. I was ahead of most of the other kids when I went to college, and didn't need any remedial courses.

13. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Public school throughout, though there really weren't too many choices back then. One of my friends went to a private Christian school -- Colonial Hills.

Overall, I was pleased with my high school experience (but what did I know?). As a parent, I'm much more pleased with Westminster (my kid's Christian high school).

14. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Since the question is "Were you home-schooled?", shouldn't there be a "NO" choice? The choices seem to assume that everyone was, or was the question only meant for those who were/are?

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Either that, or the question should be: "If you were home-schooled, how did it go?"

16. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

For a year, I wish it was for all twelve years. Home schooling is the best choice.