1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

West Virginia admitted to Union as a Slave-Free State

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, WV came about because the wealthy "Tidewater" counties of Va. looked down upon the mountainous counties that later formed WV, & those people figured they'd get more of the same treatment & no state benefits from a state govt. that was part of the CSA, & who were sharply against secession from the Union. Thus, they organized & formed their own state & seceded from Virginia. Yes, Salty, you're right-the formation of WV had nothing to do with slavery. It was mostly over the secession of Va from the Union.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonder why they never taught that in History class

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the writers of the textbooks were too fixated on slavery.

However, going to school in WV, I took WV history & learned a lot about that state, such as their beloved Senator Robt.Byrd was once the leader of the KKK.

#4 robycop3, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    yea, it seems like a lot of people want to forget that!
    My little Sen Byrd story.

Back in 1994, during the election season, I was manager of WAMN in Bluefield. I was going to give all candidates the opportunity to come on to our station and be interviewed. Three basic rules - 1) had to be in person, NOT by telephone - 2) all candidates would be notified by US Mail based on their WV address as listed by the WV Dept of State. 3) All interviews would have to be completed 3 weeks before the election.

Well, I sent a letter to Sen Byrds WV address. I did not receive an answer from Sen Byrd until about a week before the election. Evidently, he spent all of his time at his temporary Washington address. Oh, well - maybe he should spend more time in WV!

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did Byrd ever do for WV except get umpteen things named after himself ? (West BYRDginia!) Yet the people kept voting him back in ! One of my wife's doctors is in the Ora C. Byrd center in Huntington, WV. She was the senator's wife. What did SHE ever do to deserve anything being named after her ?

WV once had an even more useless dud of a senator-Jennings Randolph, noted only for voting 'yes' on the Panama Canal treaties. but finally that state wised up & went GOP, heavily supporting Trump.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He probably brought a lot of bacon back to WV

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or SPAM !

BTW, I played football & baseball at Vinson HS in Huntington, 1964-5 6. We lost to Northfork in the football semifinals(66), but we spanked them in baseball. (as we did Welch, both regular season games) Our basketball team, which I shoulda played on, but didn't, won the state AA title.(That team nicknemed the "Penicillin Kids" because of a flu bug that hit almost the entire team, had to beat Matewan & Cedar Grove to get into the title game against Mullens, which produced Lew, Dan, & Mike D'Antoni among others, & is still a basketball power to this day. They beat Mullens 58-55!) We didn't play Bluefield in any sport, as we were in different classes, but they were tough then as they are now. (Northfork HS fell victim to the hated "Consolidation" bug in 1985.)