West Virginia Legislature Passes Bill Confirming There’s No Constitutional Right to Abortion

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    West Virginians will have the chance to vote on a constitutional amendment that makes it clear that their state does not recognize abortion as a “right.”

On Monday, the state House of Delegates passed the proposed constitutional amendment in a 72-25 vote, WVVA News reports. The ballot measure, which does not require the governor’s approval, passed the state Senate in February.

West Virginia Senate Joint Resolution 12 will be on the ballot in November. If approved by voters, the following would be added to the state Constitution: “Nothing in this Constitution secures or protects a right to abortion or requires the funding of an abortion.”

The amendment would make it easier for the state to pass pro-life laws, including a restriction on taxpayer funding for abortions. West Virginia is one of 17 states that funds elective abortions for low-income women through Medicaid.

West Virginia Legislature Passes Bill Confirming There’s No Constitutional Right to Abortion | LifeNews.com

2. Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which makes complete sense. The Supreme Court ruling that embraced the "right to privacy" to enact the legalization of abortion was absurd. We do not have an unlimited right to do whatever we want by claiming a "right to privacy".

3. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When someone says a woman has a right over her body - I mention that I am glad they are against the seat belt law. Of course, they get all upset - and state that seat belts saves lives. I will rebut that "But dont I have the right over my own body".

(BTW - wearing seatbelts is NOT a guarantee that you will survive a crash)

4. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what have Replicans ever done for abortion?

(Now let's watch the response of Dems and the liberals of this board who wear masks of spirituality.)

5. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am against the adult seat belt law, buts that is a discussion of its own.

6. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A woman does have a right over her body. The problem is the baby is a separate life with a separate body. DNA proves that. Like all other rights, they end where the rights of others begin.

7. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reynolds - basically I agree with you. When I use that example - to an extent I am being facetious.
    In essence - a person who says she should to have an abortion - but defends the seat belt - is actually a
    hypocrite. Thus if you believe in abortion - you have be against the seat belt law.

ON the other hand you can be against the Seat belt law and be against abortion, since, as you stated
    the baby is a seperate life.