1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Westboro Church Exchanges Amish Protests for Airtime

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Oct 5, 2006.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

http://www.wibw.com/news/headlines/4312177.html

In order to get the Westboro group to not protest at the funerals of the Amish girls killed in the school shooting Mike Gallagher offered them 1 hour of free airtime on is national radio show.

Is Mike a hero for keeping these nuts away from the Amish funerals or is he selling out to a terrorist/hate organization by buying them off?

Personally I had never heard of Mike Gallagher before this and I don't know how widespread his radio show is. I doubt if I can get it where I live but I am going to try. I think he has made a noble gesture on behalf of familes he has never met and who he may never meet. I pray that he will not suffer professionaly because of it.

The Westboro group (I can't call them a church) has been discussed on the board before and I believe we are all in agreement condemning them for their protests. If you want to talk about them lets start another thread I would like to dicuss Gallagher's action here.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Gallagher may have had good intentions, but this will only encourage the Phelps clan to try for similar deals. While I am very pro free speech; I think we can legally restrict funerals from being protest venues by a group of nutty wackos.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with MP. This will only fuel more protests in hopes that they will get other similar offers. There has got to be some legal loophole that would allow these families to sue the WBC...

4. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Free publicity? No.

I think the best answer is for people to simply walk past them and ignore their histrionics. They'll go away if no one is paying attention to them.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listen to Gallagher when I get a chance. Im quite sure he wants the opportunity to debate and belittle them rather than give them a platform to spout their vile rhetoric.

http://www.mikeonline.com/

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

If they could ever get it before a jury I don't think they would have any problem finding a sympathetic one.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I heard that one serviceman's family (Indiana, I think?) is suing for defamation of character, or something similar for their deceased son. The WBC signs alluded to him being homosexual. I have not heard what the outcome was, or if it has been thrown out. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm with a couple of earlier posts. Let's ignore them. I would encourage a large tarp to be brought to where they are protesting, and we could stretch it out in front of them, thereby blocking anyone's view to them.

And just for fun, maybe a couple of Freedom Riders could wander over there accidentally...

I can't help but think this bunch will go away one day...Fred Phelps has gotta be getting too old to sire any more followers. That's how he gets them. One sick puppy, he is...

9. npc

npc New Member

I'll tentavely support Gallagher's decision. Air time only allows the Phelps clan to make fools of themselves without bothering the families of the deceased.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm ambivalent...admitting that I know nothing about Gallagher (the radio host, not the comedian).

Here's my conflicting thoughts:

Positive: Gallagher was trying to get the Amish some space, peace, and quiet, so he cut a deal with the scumbags.

Negative: Gallagher jumped on an opportunity to boost ratings.

Like I said, I don't surmise either as the truth...they just popped in my head.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

:thumbs:

We are in agreement with MP . . . that is historic . . .

:1_grouphug:

12. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Re: Westboro "Church" (Gag,retch,Huawwwp)

Hi All!

I saw Shirley Phelps-Roper on Hannity & Colmes and she was a very ugly,hostie,condemnatory,"Christian" and a good example of what aberrant theology,among other things can do to someone.

My wife,who works as dispensary nurse at the women's prison in Maryland and has seen all kinds of madness and evil for the past 11 years that she's worked there,said that Shirley was very mentally sick,if not purely evil.

Shirley did not give either Hannity or Colmes any time to respond,all the while shrieking her position about "God punishing those who don't folllow His laws".

I think that giving them air time is the best thing to allow them to further "marginalize" themselves and their "church".

Also,regarding the comment on the Amish families suing Westboro....The Amish believe and follow Paul's teaching regarding lawsuits and thus do not pursue them,leaving that to God.

In Christ,

Dale

#12 Dale McNamee, Oct 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2006
  13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How sad it is for people like Shirley Phelps who have been deceived by false teachings. She is full of anger and hatred and not just towards lost people either. Sadly, unless she and the others in her group repent, their souls will sink into hell. They will look up and who will they see in Paradise? Probably one of the soilders, or one of those children, who they condemned to hell but who God justified through Jesus Christ.

She needs to learn what Jesus said:

"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, Let me take take the speck out of your eye, and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye" -Matt 7:2-5

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall recieve mercy" -Matt 5:7

She also could do with a good dose of 1Corinthians 13.

Above all of that she needs to be born again through faith in Christ.

#13 Martin, Oct 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2006