1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Westborough ries to shame Christianity

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 23, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anyone who has passed by the westborough baptist web site has seen the damage they are trying to do to Christianity.

Question - if Christians of all strips (yes even Calvinists) do not do their best to expose the Westborough cult - then are we not guilty of the same non-stance as the moderate Muslim groups that fail to expose and condemn the militant radicals in their group?

Their anti-gospel must be exposed. Their message of hate must be condemned.

in Christ,

Bob

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Anytime they are in this area, or they make the news, I make sure and share the truth about them when they come up in conversation.

What they preach and teach IS NOT biblical christianity.

Mike

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I agree that when the subject comes up and they're already in the public eye, we should expose these inbred pharasaical hatemongers (those words are chosen quite carefully BTW) for who they are.

But since they seek to prostitute themselves publicity-wise...I don't like giving them any more airtime than absolutely necessary.

I love what the "freedom riders" did here not too long ago. Phelps and his Klan came down to show their behinds at a funeral for a soldier killed in Iraq.

The "freedom riders" (a group of patriotic bikers who honor our fallen vets with a flag procession, their attendance at funerals, et al) physically blocked Phelps and his children/grandchildren/church members from news cameras. The news folks didn't get one good shot or sound byte from Phelps & Co.

If these scumbags are relegated to irrlelevance, they'll dry up pretty quick IMO.

But hey...someone told me I was wrong once. I'm sure they were mistaken (grin).

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As to the title of the thread -

"NO-O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!

Say it isn't so, Ethel!!" :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Phelps is a disgrace. The good news is that no one outside of the Christian community seems to think that he represents the cause of Christ either. His hate message is so pervasive that's all anyone can see - with rare exception.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Too bad we can not lure one of the devotees to that group to come to this board for some enlightenment!

7. Conservative Christian

It's spelled "Westboro".

Where've you been, Bob? MANY Christian denominations and leaders have spoken out against his warped views. His message of hate has been consistently condemned for many years now. His anti-gospel was long ago exposed.

The Southern Baptist Convention and virtually every major Protestant denomination have publicly denounced Phelps. Jerry Falwell publicly referred to him as a "nutcase".

Since Phelps does not speak for true Christianity, I will not allow you to consign guilt on me and other genuine Christians for his actions, just because we don't have time to stop everything we're doing and waste a lot of time denouncing a hateful phony like Fred Phelps.

8. Conservative Christian

A statement regarding Fred Phelps, direct from the official website of the Southern Baptist Convention:

"Is Fred Phelps (the pastor of the Westboro Baptist Church and leader of those who protest under the slogan "God Hates Fags) or his church affiliated with the SBC?

We share concern over the unbiblical views and offensive tactics of Fred Phelps and his followers. His church is not in any way affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, and his extreme position not only stand in contrast to ours, more importantly they stand in contrast to God’s Word. God has stated clearly in His Word that homosexual behavior is sinful, but He also clearly states His love for sinners, including homosexuals, and that He offers forgiveness through Jesus Christ for all who repent and place their faith in Him.
    The SBC is not in a position to take official action regarding Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. Indeed, he has picketed the SBC Building in Nashville and annual meetings on numerous occasions because he believes the SBC to be part of the problem."

http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/faqs.asp#20

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Still it would be nice to have a chance to deprogram a westboro cult member disabusing them of the "god is hate" venom that they have been brainwashed into believing.

I think a good sola-scriptura based discussion on this board on the abundant Love of God would be "enlightening" for them should they care to read or participate.

in Christ,

Bob

10. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

The people of Westboro "Baptist Church," if they do not repent and follow Christ on HIS terms, that some Scriptures they did not like applied to them.

Jesus described the Day of Judgment as so at Matthew 7:20-3
    “Similarly, you will know people by the deeds they do. Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord’ will enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father in heaven. For many will say to me on that Day, `Lord, Lord, | we spoke for you. And through you we forced out demons and did many miracles.’ Then I will say to them clearly `Get away from me, you who do evil. I never knew you’” (NBV|ICB).​
    They have no doubt been pointed to such passages as Matthew 22:36-40, Romans 13:8-10, James 2:8 about loving our neighbor.

They will realize too late that the passages they ignored about loving our neighbor were binding on everyone, including them. In their hate for homosexual persons, they refuse to accept the teachings of these passages. They may too late realize that they should have truly followed Christ and not disregarded HIS teachings.

May more of us who hate persons because they believe `this-or-that' ponder the likely future of the Westboro "Baptist Church" group and why -- and learn from it.

As for the "Westboro Baptist" worship-group shaming Christianity, they give real Christians -- Baptist or not -- an opportunity to stand together and speak up about how Christ called us to much better.

#10 Darron Steele, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe we need to send some missionaries to Westboro

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

True. I can't imagine the gospel is being proclaimed there.

13. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would be easier to get them to volunteer to go to depest-darkest Africa.