1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Westcott and Hort text?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Elijah, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Elijah

Elijah New Member

One of the most popular accusations I hear about modern Bible versions is that they are based on Westcott and Horts texts. (not saying that is either bad or good) The point of this thread is to ask the question "If most modern versions are indeed based on the work of Westcott and Hort, please let us know which ones." One article I read said that the only version based largely on the W/H text is the Jehovas Witness, NWT. Please do not answer with baseless opinion, facts only please.

[ February 27, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Elijah ]

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

It's sort of a hard question to answer, as it depends on what you mean by "based on".

If you mean the "as is" Westcott/Hort text, I'm not sure if any well-known translations would fully qualify, with the possible exception of the NWT, but even here many "liberties" in translation can be found, where they don't follow the W/H text. Even the "Revised Version" of 1881 did not use W/H exclusively, but rather was "based on" the KJV but made changes according to both W/H (1881) and Tregelles (1857). However, I have come across some practially unknown translations, done by individuals, that are done strictly from W/H - but no details come to mind at the moment, and I'm sure they would be basically insignificant (i.e. most probably would never have heard of them, let alone be able to find a copy) if they did. [​IMG]

However, the Westcott/Hort text is very similar to the Greek New Testament (UBS & Nestle/Aland) used for most modern versions: I don't have the numbers handy, but there is only a 1-2% difference if memory serves. W/H's text was the "heritage" for the Greek texts used today. So in that sense, most modern versions (the ones that use UBS / N/A) are "based on" Westcott and Hort's text.