1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about a Christian's social responsibility?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by seekingthetruth, Sep 18, 2011.

1. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I am new here and this is my first post. I know I am jumping right into the deep end with this, but it has become a hot topic lately both in the national news and my community and church.

In my church we are split between choosing a president based on economics or social agenda. We have some members that say that they would lose everything they own before they vote for a candidate that supports social issues that are unbiblical, and others that say that money and prosperity is more important.

Me? I want my family to be secure, but I want to face God knowing I never supported immoral and ungodly political agendas. I am not looking for a theocrcy, but shouldn't we have some limits to the social issues we choose to support?

We are truly caught between a rock and a hard place.

John

2. billwald

billwald New Member

You have no "Christian" obligation to vote.

3. seekingthetruth

Hi Billwald

Nice to meet you even if only via internet.

I see your point from a very basic view. But, as citizens of the USA don't we have an obligation to vote? If we refuse to vote don't we give up our voice as a people? And as an individual do I have the right to question my government if I refuse to cast a vote?

Therefore, do we stop being Christians when we are exercising our rights and obligations as citizens?

It would be hard for me to "not vote", and it would be even harder to leave my Christian principles and the teachings of the Bible behind when I do go and vote. Even though I see your point, "not voting" is not an option for me.

I would hate to see what our world would be like with no Christian voice/vote in politics.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you limiting yourself to a choice between only two parties? There's also the Libertarian party, as well as the Constitution party. . .although most likely, neither will garner enough votes for their candidates to be elected.

Your other option is to vote against a candidate, rather than for one.

But I do agree with you that our citizenship in this country carries an obligation to do something. . .even if that something is nothing (not voting). Just remember that if you choose not to decide, you've made a choice.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Christians have only very recently become politically active so we've already seen what happens when we don't vote. As a condition of becoming politically active Christians have for the most part been cheerleaders for war, wars and more war.

There's the war on drugs. We're all for it. Nevermind it's a huge failure and costing us billions we do not have to squander it must still continue so we can say we're doing something good for mankind.

Then there's the war on poverty. We're all for it. Nevermind it's a huge failure and is costing us billions we do not have to squander it must still continue so we can say we're doing something good for mankind.

Then there's the war on anything liberal. We take this very serious! Matter of fact we can see little else going on in the world around us because we are so totally fixated on it. We can't even see that we have a two party dictatorship under the control of an un-elected, un-accountable, un- repentent global financier elite because of our loathing for liberals. Those who call themselves "conservatives" we let get away with murder on a global scale and lately we've even begun to let liberals like Obama get away with murder because we've been lied to by our clergymen for years about our true relationship to our republican form of government which they are at a total loss to understand.

Then there's war illiteracy. We're all for it. Nevermind it's a huge failure and is costing us billions we do not have to squander it must still continue so we can say we're doing something good for mankind.

Then there's the war unionism. We're all for it. Nevermind history shows that corporations prefer not to pay a decent wage or provide decent benefits or safe working conditions. We gotta wipe them unions off the planet.

Then there's the war on terror. We're all for it! Nevermind it's proving to be a giant farce based on lies and endless fearmongering by those who profit greatly by killing millions of people on a global scale. Nevermind we spend hundreds of billions we do not have to combat the same terrorists in one part of the world that we spend billions we not have to support terrorists in other parts of the world. Nevermind we claim to be doing the people of the world a great favor with our bloody regime changes overthrowing dictators in one part of the world while supporting dictators in other parts of the world.

We're all for it! Basically we Christians have turned into the world's biggest hypocrites and warmongers since we became politically active.

If you ask me the world was much better off before we Christians became politically active.

6. seekingthetruth

Yep Don

Yes Don, that is so true. My parents would never believe that a quote from a Rush tune would make perfect sense.

Alot of people think that apathy is doing nothing, but it really is not.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    STT, have you ever thought of running for office yourself? I'm sure there is some lccal position you may be able to consider?

8. seekingthetruth

Mayor?

Maybe I'll move to Chicago and run for mayor.

It's pretty obvious that they will elect anybody! :laugh:

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's my opinion that, as Christians, we should vote for people that uphold Biblical principles first and foremost. I'll vote for a big government liberal that is anti-abortion before I'll vote for a small government conservative that is pro-abortion. If a politician is anti-Israel, they will not receive my vote.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care who ya are, that was funny.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can get behind that.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

Christian principles like if you have two coats and see a person without any coat . . . ?

13. matt wade

I'm in Florida. What's your point?

14. billwald

billwald New Member

Do you understand

Christian principles like if you have two rain coats and see a person without any rain gear . . . ?

15. matt wade

I haven't seen anyone over the age of 6 wear a raincoat here in Florida.

16. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean you can't voluntarily give someone in need your rain coat?

17. billwald

billwald New Member

>You mean you can't voluntarily give someone in need your rain coat?

Say again? "Give" implies "voluntarily."

Atheists are forbidden to love their neighbors as they love themselves?