1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What about Rom 10:9-10 ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Apr 25, 2012.

1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is doing something. The Jailor asked what must I do to be saved !

So, now are you admitting that you got saved by doing something ?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, that really qualifies as a "stupid question."

The jailer asked Paul, an apostle of Jesus, "what must I do to be saved?" And Paul told him, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved."

The reason your post qualifies as a "stupid question"? Because if you say that "believing on the Lord Jesus Christ doesn't save you," then you're calling Paul a liar, and you're saying that scripture lies.

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Believing the Gospel is a work, a doing, a deed !

James 1:25

25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Now what does James mean here by the Perfect Law of Liberty ? He is speaking of the Law of Moses, as it has been fulfilled by Christ, as explained in the Gospel. Gal 3:23-26; Rom 10:4. So the Perfect law of Liberty in James is also the Word of Truth [The Gospel] James 1:18

18Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

Eph 1:13

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

This word of Truth of the Gospel does include Christ's fulfillment of the Law in behalf of all that He did die for Rom 10:4, it gives believers a sensible liberty of having been set free by Christ Isa 61:1

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Jn 8:36;

36If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Gal 5:1

1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

So now a look into this Perfect Law of Liberty, being a Look into the Gospel, and a continuing therein, a continuing in the Truth as indicated back in Jn 8:31-32

31Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

32And ye shall know the truth, and the truth[word of Truth] shall make you free.

Then are ye blessed in your deed, or your doing, or the work , which can only mean or point back to the act or deed or work of believing or looking ! The word deed is the greek word poiēsis and means a doing or performing, a obedience to a law !

James actually calls this Look as being a doer of the work ! Yes, Believing is a doing of a work, a deed !

The word deed is also from the root poieō, and means do, of which the Jailor asked What must I Do to be saved ? Acts 16:30, and of course Paul commanded him to do something, which was to believe. The act or deed he must do to be saved was to believe. Now it cannot be denied that believing is not a deed that a person does, or how could James under inspiration of God call it a deed, a work ? So again, if anyone of us is claiming to get saved because they believed as in Acts 16:31-32, then we are claiming to get saved by our work, our deed. For the greek word for work in scripture is ergon and means:

business, employment, that which any one is occupied

a) that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2) any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3) an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

Also translated deed Rom 3:20

I have by the Grace of God, proven from scripture once again that believing is a work, a deed, that man performs James 1:25 !

4. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "doing something" is the basis for which someone is justified before God. The means itself also comes from God so that no one can boast.
    Election and justification are not the same exact thing, but all who are one are the other.
    Election is unconditional--according to God's eternal choice.
    Justification is "by/through faith."
    Faith for justification is given by God because of election.

Act 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

We are justified "freely by His grace." This means that God is free to justify whom He will, as you would agree. However, The Scriptures clearly define the means by which God justifies according to His will. Those who God justifies, He does through the channel of faith.

1. We are elected according to God's eternal purpose, not our own will.
    2. We are justified by God's grace through the means of faith apart from the Law.
    3. We believe only because God gave us the faith, resulting in our belief in the gospel.
    4. God justifies people for the purpose of having a people for Himself who desire Him to His own glory.

Those whom God saves He keeps. He draws a people to Himself to be His people, not just in an accounting sense, but in a real sense.

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 5:30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

You cannot divorce the means from the effect. We would both agree that an unregenerate does not "muster up" saving faith on his own, but that it is given to him from God. I do not see why you would have a problem with this.

6. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, but you have to take Paul's many statements contrasting "works" (often meant of the Law) and "faith" to understand that there is a difference between the "doing" of faith and the "doing" of "works" that Paul's readership would understand.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

arse

That's works salvation, a false gospel !

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I believe Acts 16:30-31, but what you believe is that one is saved by their work, their act of believing, that is not stated in Acts 16:31-32 !

If one obeys as Paul commanded the Jailor in Acts 16 there, then they were saved !

The Believing after the command proved they had been given a New Heart. Ezk 36:26-27

26A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Remember the Jailer's question ? What must I DO to be saved ?

Well, Paul said believe in Christ and Thou shalt be saved, because that is the only way one can believe in Christ, is with the New Heart that God gives in New Birth, which Ezk 36:26-27 is describing.

So, you best take note of this post here, maybe you want to write it down , so you can refer to it later. And what makes it so bad, these are things I have already stated on this board, over and over again !

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't have to write the heresy down.

The account goes this way:
    "What must I do to be saved?
    Paul did not say: "Well jailer, first you must turn to Ez.36:26,27 and learn about a new heart." He didn't say that. That is your corrupted theology.
    He simply said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved."
    Faith is all that was required.
    You deny the Scriptures.

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You calling the Truth of God heresy, you deny that Christ's Death in and of itself saved anyone, wow !

Si it is written Isa 5:20

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

11. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you have no problem changing God's word? The text does not say "were" but "shalt be" saved!

However, that is what you must do to justify your false and heretical doctrine you must change God's Word.

Paul did not say "Beleive BECAUSE you are already saved" but "beleive on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou SHALT BE saved."

What good does it do to discuss with someone who intentionaly changes God's Word to suit themselves and distorts our words to suit themselves???

12. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

the bib

Correct, shalt be saved also means, being in saved state !

For example. A friend told me to look for the man in a red shirt, he shall be wearing a red shirt and black pants !

Another example from a writer that explains the word shall be in a soterilogical phrase :

http://www.oldschoolbaptist.org/Articles/MustOneBelieveToBeSaved.htm

If you still do not understand, that is too bad !

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

What utter nonsense and what a utter rediculous illustration! Believe is the condition set forth by Paul and Silas in answer to the question "what shall I do".

The question is framed in a continuous present "what must I keep on doing and doing" while the answer is framed in a puntilliar complete act - "believe" and thou "shalt be saved."

You missed your calling, you should be a majician because they use slight of hand and deception.

14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk

The truth is nonesense to those who are perishing. Now I have explained to you what Shall be saved means, and you reject the wisdom of it, you have no cloak now for your sin !

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus/paul both were asked"What MUST we do to be saved?"

BOTH answered"believe on him who God sent, belive in jesus as YOUR messiah/lord,and you shall be saved!"

Person was NOT saved, per both of them, until they do one thing God requires!

NOT saved before that act, need to believe in Him!

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You believe nothing like Paul or Jesus Christ, you deny the Cross of Christ as the only basis of Salvation, and promote Salvation by works, by what a man does !

See post 32 !

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You blaspheme the scripture, distort the nature of God, reject the TRIUNE eternal covenant of salvation and then pretend you are God by judging others and you think you have any grounds to condemn others?????? What a joke! What you teach is neither Biblical, rational or true.

18. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You promote false doctrine, deny the saving death of Christ alone ! Jn 12:24

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Do you know who Jesus is alluding to as the corn of wheat ? Do you know what He is alluding to when He says " If it die" ?

Do you know what He means , as a result of it dying, it brings forth much fruit ! What is the Fruit here ?

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does God require of us in order to have Him apply effectually the atoneing grace of the Cross towards us?

Belief/faith in the name of His only Son, the name by which we MUST be saved!

IF you do not place faith in jesus, God Himself cannot and will not save you!

20. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

You deny that Christ's Death bears Fruit ! Work Salvation !