1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about Tattoos?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by jv717, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Read it again and look a little closer. The phrase "for the dead" makes it clear that it's forbidding tattooing specifically for the purpose of consecrating oneself to pagan rituals, not tattooing in general.

2. TWade

TWade New Member

You asked where in Leviticus, and I only provided the chapter and verse that the other posters were refering to. I didn't offer an opinion either way.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Remember, though, I asked in response to a poster who said that there was a verse or verses that showed that it was forbidden.

4. TWade

TWade New Member

[ April 14, 2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: TWade ]

5. TWade

TWade New Member

I assumed that you were not familiar with the verse the other posters were refering to, and that is my sole reason for providing it for you. I didn't realize that you were asking a loaded question or I wouldn't have replied.

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I assumed that you were not familiar with the verse the other posters were refering to, and that is my sole reason for providing it for you. I didn't realize that you were asking a loaded question or I wouldn't have replied. </font>[/QUOTE]That's OK. I appreciate you replying, anyway.

That's the verse I assumed he was referring to but since someone already pointed out that it is only referring to tattooing in the course of pagan rituals before I did, I wanted to be sure.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

So what does that mean to people today?
    Does that mean if a person isn't being tattooed as a part of pagan ritual they can do it?
    Just asking opinion.

8. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

In my own opinion getting a tattoo itself is not a sin, but of course sometimes what the tattoo IS can be a sin . . . &lt;ggg&gt;

9. Dina

Dina New Member

OK, here goes. I *personally* have no problem with them. Nor do I think that the Bible speaks against them. I think this is once again an area that is between the the person and God.

As far as what the secular world sees when they see a Christian with a tattoo....well I'm sure there are those that will think negatively. Just as there are those that won't care either way.

From the perspective of someone who was once VERY backslidden, I ca honestly say that when I heard people "preaching" on topics such as this it REALLY turned me off. WHY? Because you have some one up there saying how horrible and how sinful it was, all the while not accepting the person "where they were". When the whole time I was screaming inside myself "Here I am, show me God's love, not your standards." Are you going to really care when that Biker with a *sleeve comes in and repents? Are you going to close the door on him and refuse him entrance? Or are you going to accept him, love him, and show him how much God loves him.

Aren't we showing God's love IN us by accepting him? Are we truely being an example of Christ when that person comes to us and asks what being a Christian is all about and all we can think of is "well, it's not tattoos"

I know MANY people, saved and unsaved that have tattoos. Some have tatts that are plain scary looking, some have tatts that they drew themselves and had done, some even have Bible verses. And, Yes I have even seen some use it as a "tool" for witnessing.

I personally have 2 tatts, and am currently debating on a 3rd.

* a Sleeve is a tattoo/group of tattoos that covers an entire limb.

10. jasonW*

jasonW* New Member

This is one of those topics that I feel people have a strong opinion on for the wrong reasons.

Here is a another site:

http://www.axxent.ca/~gennaro/

Also, somethings to think about:

1. If we go by LEV, then all men are to have hair and beards at all time. (at the same time, if we go by LEV, you cannot eat shellfish, cannot wear clothing made from two types of material and a bunch of other things that pretty much all of christianity has done away with for one reason or another)

2. No cutting? That means no ear pearcings, no vaccinations (how many people here have that small circular mark on their arm?), surgury (for the more legalistic of the bunch) etc etc

3. Does a cosmetic/medical tattoo count? People who are badly burned and disfigured get cosmetic/medical tattoo's that look like skin to cover up the disfigured areas. (just checking)

Personally, I don't see a problem with tattoos as long as the tattoo itself is not the problem (suggestive, satanic etc etc).

jason

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Topic Moved at the request of original poster. [​IMG]

12. KimS

KimS New Member

Well, I have two. I had them done when I was overseas. They are tasteful. I don't really see the problem.

Leviticus also says not to shave your beard. I don't see many Christians in my church with beards. Why pick on people who are tattooed?

Kim

13. Gib

Gib Active Member

Belief that the tattoo is associated with the corrupt.

14. KimS

KimS New Member

Out of all of the people in my division at work, I am the one that people watch their language around and I am the one who people avoid telling dirty jokes around, etc. Me, with two tattoos. These are professionals who would never consider getting a tattoo but have no problem bringing in magazines of scantily clad women and discussing them (in hushed tones of course). These wonderful people who sit in church on Sundays and complain about it on Monday, ask me why I have a bible at my desk (I actually have three).

And they think I'm corrupt? Good grief...

Kim

15. KJV Warrior

KJV Warrior New Member

From the site you gave
    And G and PG rated movies aren't worldly?

Actually the only verses in scripture about tattooing are part of the law.

And just to inform you, I am anti-tattoo anyway, just no grace scripture to base it on, and I will not ask anyone, nor myself to conform to the law which Jesus fulfilled.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes we are under grace, but that does not give us the right to do anything that we want. We are still to abide by the law, it is still wrong to kill, commit adultery, etc. As for there is no "grace scripture" what about James 2:10? "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all."
    Another one is 2 Timothy 3:16. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Okay, my view aside for a moment, the Holy Spirit has told me what he wants me to know. It is found in the Word. If you have a special phone number to him, please pass it on.

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Actually, we don't have to live by any of the Mosaic law. Paul told the Galatians that they were fools for trying to live under the law.

Just so you know, killing and adultery were not limited to the Mosaic law.

18. Another Messenger

Another Messenger New Member

That if you believe in God,, and his perfect work, and have asked him into your heart, then it is by grace you are saved, through faith. and not
    .......By grace you are saved through faith, and that in itself is a gift, (unless you have a tatoo)
    The truth is, the law was written for the old testament people, and it is abolished by the perfect work of Christ on the Cross. Stick to the ten commandments alone via morality, not law,, then add, love the lord, your God, with all your heart, soul, and might,, and, (your neighbor as yourself) If,, you desire to get a tatoo, pray hard,, then,, find someone who is a christian to do it,, don`t subject yourself to the devils congregational music while some forked tongue crawler is cutting on you,, If he is a satanist,, then your blood for his ritual becomes a sacrafice. Remember, there are people on the dark side with a faith in their Dark Lord, that is as strong as your faith in Christ. So,, becareful where you go, as to what is performed upon your body. Cutting of the flesh, or blood letting can be glorified by the cutter,, and lifted to places you do not want it to go. There is no easy way to break it to you.!

19. dclark14

dclark14 New Member

This is from the "for what it's worth" dep't. and may not be entirely germain to the purpose of this thread, but I need to let you know that my son-in-law is tatoo'd and now has a serious case of hepatitis C. There is some evidence that hep.C can be traced back to tatooing.Specifically "yea" or "nay" biblically may not be the only issue here.

20. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I personally consider the practice very unwise. However, no one can say it is sin, since the Scripture does not forbid it.