1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What About The Illegal Immigrants?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think an important figure for this discussion would be the number or percentage of illegal immigrants who make an income high enough to be in a taxable income bracket. The thinking being that even if they were legal, they would be making the same financial contribution to the system providing benefits to them.

Of course the flaw in that thinking is that if they were legal, they would be paid at a higher level.

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did a little digging and found out that if you make between 0-7,000 a year, you pay 10%.

In Canada we have a minimum of 8000 CAD that we are untaxed on every year. I guess my logic falls apart. [​IMG]

3. OCC

OCC Guest

Yeah, good point. So those "illegal" immigrants wouldn't make enough to have to pay taxes. And if they did have to pay taxes; they would I believe, if they weren't classified as "illegal" and didn't have to worry about Homeland Security chasing down their trail like bloodhounds on a fox hunt.

Many "illegal" immigrants are poor people with a great work ethic who just want an opportunity in the *greatest country* in the world. They aren't "terrorists".

4. OCC

OCC Guest

I also have to add...if employers wouldn't hire illegal immigrants...would illegal immigrants have jobs?

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

How are the illegal immigrants costing you money? They don't get welfare, medicare, medicaid or social security.

They aren't taking the job you could have had, because you won't work for less than minimum wage or clear out irrigation ditches in 114 degree (f) heat.

6. OCC

OCC Guest

They're not. But it's something their conservative hero politicians told them to be concerned about, therefore they are concerned.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'd rather not name specific bb posters. That would just be adding fuel to the fire.

Suffice it to say that there is no shortage of people on thie baord who will equate "hispanic" or "latino" with "illegal alien" just about every single time. Don't worry, Joseph, you're clearly not one of them [​IMG]
    Legal immigrants do the same thing, although they do pay taxes to contribute to those benefits.</font>[/QUOTE]Many illegal immigrants pay payroll taxes as well. It's the under the table jobs that skirt the tax paying. Unfortunately, there are plenty of native-borns who are working at under the table jobs as well.
    If there is a job sector that would be easily filled by immigrant labor, then I have no problem making it easier for those workers to qualify for temporary legal status. It's still no reason to permit rampant illegall immigration.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Granted, most illegal aliens enter illegally, but a good portion entered legally (via legal visitation, temporary visa, or temporary work permit), and stayed after their legal term expired. Interestingly, there's an issue in some of the northern states with illegal workers from Canada. The problem there is that the illegal Canadians tend to be educated and do too good of a job blending in. Of course, the numbers are small compared to the south US border, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

9. OCC

OCC Guest

Likewise, I myself, am not one of them. [​IMG]

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

James, you are right. the terrorists are here legally.

11. OCC

OCC Guest

LOL

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have worked with migrant Mexicans. One of the reasons there is no political will is that economically the illegals are a net benefit to the US.

Let me give you a micro-illustration. I worked with Mexicans (they had cards but who knows?) in packaging. They worked through a temp agency. When I arrived as manager, I wanted to try "Americans". They cost us about 30% more... and did about half the work... with extremely poor attitudes.

IOW's, a single Mexican was worth more to the economy than two Americans. About 5 Mexican workers provided enough value to make it economical to let the "American" draw welfare.

I now have a respect for them... and a whole lot more respect than "Americans" who think the world owes them a living for doing nothing but breath and consume and reproduce.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most would probably qualify for the earned income tax credit if they filed... so again, the economy and government benefit by their presence.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're not. But it's something their conservative hero politicians told them to be concerned about, therefore they are concerned. </font>[/QUOTE]As you know, I am conservative/libertarian... and I would probably seek to legalize our illegals... and welcome as many as would stay gainfully employed.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If they had proper paperwork, then you must assume they were legal, with every legal right to work and be here. And, apparantly, they worked an honest day's work and got an honest day's pay. These people are not the problem, methinks.

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you didn't assume I said they were...

BTW, we did have one girl who changed names while working for us. I think she was working under someone else's card then got her own.

17. OCC

OCC Guest

They're not. But it's something their conservative hero politicians told them to be concerned about, therefore they are concerned. </font>[/QUOTE]As you know, I am conservative/libertarian... and I would probably seek to legalize our illegals... and welcome as many as would stay gainfully employed. </font>[/QUOTE]That is good to hear. Does that mean you want to kick those citizens who aren't gainfully employed out of the country? A twenty year old man who should be able to work but can't because he is a quadrapalegic and has some mental disabilities is not able to be gainfully employed.

This goes out to all the conservatives. I am in a large amount of credit card debt (due to helping out in an emergency while I was laid off one of the many times I get laid off in my dead end job)...how do I pick myself up by own bootstraps the American way and get "gainfully employed" when I have no skills and no resources to get them at this time? Huh? I'm waiting...put your money where your mouth is and help...instead of putting people down because they are "lazy". :eek:

18. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

-----------------
    Aw give me a break Johnv. You know that I meant that they were hiring illegals, which is against the law but not enforced. You usually have some good comebacks but that one was sad. My point was that the very ones who looked to take advantage of the situation are now whining that these very same indivuals are using the rights they should have in their own country per NAFTA to organize and actually unionize their own shops. Seems the employers greed rose up and bit them in the butt. Wonder how the NLRB will handle this.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You said you were recruiting Latinos. That's completely different from saying you were recruiting illegals. If it's an innocent faux paix, I think that's a faux paix that needs to be avoided. Then again, I live in Southern California, where the Latino population is 45% of the population (and most of them are legal, believe it or not).
    Amusingly true, but now that the Union is recruiting illegals, is not the Union partaking in the same greed, since they're now collecting union dues from them? It's kind of a catch 22 there.

20. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

You said you were recruiting Latinos. That's completely different from saying you were recruiting illegals. If it's an innocent faux paix, I think that's a faux paix that needs to be avoided. Then again, I live in Southern California, where the Latino population is 45% of the population (and most of them are legal, believe it or not).
    Amusingly true, but now that the Union is recruiting illegals, is not the Union partaking in the same greed, since they're now collecting union dues from them? It's kind of a catch 22 there.
    </font>[/QUOTE]--------------
    Catch 22 in a sense seeing how any fake ssn they give means their pensions contribution is probably going to a dead voter in Chicago. But they and their families are getting health insurance that the taxpayers arent having to fork over. I dont know how this will play out. I believe most in my area are illegal. No way of telling for sure, except when they crash their car into someone, have no license or insurance, and when its time to go to court they are back in Mexico City. Doesnt really make any difference does it? I like to think I am a realist. We lost control of our border years ago and do not have the political will to recapture it. We cant evacuate 1 million people out of a major U.S. city who want to leave. How we gonna deport 10 million who want to stay?