1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about "The Shack"?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tamborine lady, Jun 17, 2009.

1. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

I had heard a lot about the book "The Shack". After all the rave reviews, I decided to read it for myself.

I was wondering if any one else here has read it, and what do you think?

If there has already been a discussion on it, please link me to it.

Sincerely,

Tam

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You can find a recent (sort of) discussion on it HERE.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. donnA

donnA Active Member

5. tamborine lady

That was my main problem with the book. If people don't really know the bible, or if they are looking for a "different" view, or validation for some wrong ideas, this book just fuels the fire!

I found a book report about "The Shack":

http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/a-review-of-the-shack-download-it-here.php

It is 17 pages and he lays out in detail some of main things that are wrong with the book. At the end he says that the book is very dangerous, and would not reccommend it to any body. I agree whole heartedly.

In His service,

Tam

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tim is a very solid Christian gentleman who reviews TONS of books each year!! I liked his review of this!

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Great, so this would be a reviewer to go to?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

agree

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was a very engaging and thought-provoking book.

Then again, I disagree with the majority of this board anyway.

10. tamborine lady

It was very thought provoking. It will tie the mind of a nominal Christian into a pretzel.

In His service,

Tam

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For the same reason why so many do not like it when I talk about discipleship.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. I subscribe to his blog and it's excellent. I have his book (his first book that came out this past year) called The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment. Very stolid stuff. His blog is www.challies.com

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Joh 3:20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.

2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables

#13 Revmitchell, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

From http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/the-shack-by-william-p-young.php

"Because of the sheer volume of error and because of the importance of the doctrines reinvented by the author, I would encourage Christians, and especially young Christians, to decline this invitation to meet with God in The Shack. It is not worth reading for the story and certainly not worth reading for the theology."

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm going to check him out then, I've noticed the last few years less and elss discenrment by chrisitans, accpting anything the world says and does. And this si just among people I know, not internet people.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A good indication of that is when the seminaries started seeing a decrease in biblical knowledge and then coupled with the fact of an increase in church growth promotion.

I keep coming back with an answer of they do not know their Bible. That is what happens when we focus on Bible studies and intellectual knowledge rather than coupling that with true discipleship which focuses on practical ministry in teaching people how to do ministry and teach them how to teach others. Nobody is truly taught anything until he can apply the truth of the Bible.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

I keep meeting people who will tell of never being taught this or that, about lioving scripturally. Example, a lady in our small group (all of them are older then us, by many years), told of being saved young, but never once being taught or hearing about living a christian life, based on scrpture, until she was 40. I don't know about anywhere else, but here, small country churches are really weak on discipleship and doctrines.

18. tamborine lady

Yes, Donna, I have noticed that small country churches do seem to be weak in the teaching areas.

It may be because they don't want to risk offending anyone and have them leave, or it may be that they just think everything is going O.K. so why change.

Whatever it is, we need to fervently pray for Pastors of the small churches that they will preach and teach the Bible, no matter what the cost.

Serving Him,

Tam

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I had noticed about some of them is that when it comes to evangelism their view is limited to the town where they already know everyone and assume they know about each person too.

One church I spoke with years ago complained about their former pastor preaching calvinism but when I spoke to them about reaching their town and engaging them in knckong on every door their immediate response was that they alerady knew everyone. Seems like the result would be the same no matter what they believed intellectually because their practice was zero.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Really? Who are these people?