1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about what isnt in the word?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by superwoman8977, Jun 18, 2008.

1. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay well the was Jesus married post got me thinking, there are so many other things not mentioned in the word why is that? After talking with my friend again we came to the consencus that it was so we could form our own opinions. It just frustrates me that things I am struggling with in my own life I cannot find an answer in the word with, so share your insight of why you think that is and can we all be civil with this?

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I believe in the priesthood of the believer, therefore every Christian has the Spirit dwelling within them to address the blanks and gray areas of our faith. Remember the Bible says, "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." and may I add not opinions!

#2 Cutter, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Somethings aren't mentioned in the Word because they wouldn't have been relevant when the scriptures were written. This would include such issues as marijuana (sp), stem cell research and even electricity.

But just because something isn't directly mentioned doesn't mean we can't find the answer in Scripture. Marijuana advice can be found in another mind altering substance: alcohol and well as in scriptures dealing with obeying the gov. Stem cells="thou shalt not kill" Electricity = how resources were used and whether they were used and whether modern conveniences are "worldly.

The answers are there, we simply have to learn to apply them

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

We must be able to properly apply the scripture we have, what information we were given is all we need for life.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

You should post this in the Joyce Meyer thread, it shows exactly whats happening.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Let me offer a few thoughts. Without a doubt not everything that can be mentioned or talked about is in the Bible. But I would submit to you that everything you need for life and godliness is found in Christ Jesus, and that His Holy Word is completely sufficient for all things we could face in this life.

Consider these Scriptures:

"According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 3-5

Now considereing things not mentioned concerning Jesus, consider this:

"This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen." John 21:24-25

But why are the things that ARE written, written?

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name." John 20:31

Why else is what is written in Scripture, written?

"Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. " 1 Cor 10:11 (speaking of Sodom and Gommorah, et.)

I would encourage you to be confident in what God has revealed to us, and not to pry into and speculate in your imagination in what He has not revealed to us. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. He has given you everything you need in Christ and in His Word for your life.

"But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:13-17

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've made it my goal to try to understand what's IN the Bible, and not get sidetracked by other things. If each of us would strive to learn and understand what's in God's Word, and then apply it to our lives, that would be a worthy goal.

Trying to understand what God's Word doesn't say seems like a waste of time to me.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

IMHO, Since I can spend my entire life studying what is in the Bible and never finish that task, I am not going to worry to much about what is not in it. I think our lives are well spent trying our best to understand God's Word and what He did choose to reveal to us. I trust he chose wisely what to put in and what to leave out.

10. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Some context is helpful here, from the ESV:

Php 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,
    Php 2:13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.