1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What all was Jesus wanting to accomplish while on earth?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

So, your answer is that God decreed that all mankind would be born with a totally depraved nature, making them unable to even respond to God's own appeal for reconciliation. Right?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My answer as given here was to the first question...do not move the target after i answered your first question...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    God told Adam....dying thou shalt surely die....He was not joking,it happened.
    My answer which I repeat here is what God told Adam.After the fall into sin and death,mankind inherits the sin nature from Adam...yes....That it has happened exactly that way...shows it was decreed. Nothing happens that was not decreed to happen. Good things and sinful things are decreed to come to pass...but in no way is God to blame. You can keep blaming God for mans sin...but that would not be wise...but rather exceedingly sinful.....That is my answer.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree Icon. The sin of Adam brought death to all men. Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: 1 Cor 15:22 For as in Adam all die. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death;

Death is what man has to be saved from.

The sin of Adam even brought death to the one who had no sin, because all the sin of the world was laid upon him by his Father who had begotten him. And he became obedient unto death even the death on the cross and was paid the wages of sin.

And you are right again, God wasn't joking, the Lamb was slain.

And what gives man the only hope he has of ever seeing life after he dies?

The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. He had been just as dead as Adam.

BTW he was slain before the man who brought death to all men was created.
    That should say something about sin, and man and God and the Son of God the Son of Man.

4. Skandelon

Icon, I'm not attempting to argue that your view makes God the blame for man's sin. I'm saying that it was God's decision to bind all people from birth with a totally depraved nature as a result of the Fall. You haven't told us what is incorrect about that statement.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God tells us what we need to know,not what we might want to speculate about. We are told that upon disobedience Adam dying would surely die.

We all agree that is what is taught and try to understand it.God does not give an explicit explanation of how ,or what is involved in this death,only that it surely happens. We learn some of the effects of the death from other portions of scripture, romans 1,2,3, 7,8...eph2.4,5, 1cor2, 5,6 etc.

While this is the result of the fall....[agreed]....I am not comfortable with anyone saying what God "decided" to do....unless God Himself says so.

If you will think back to many of our disagreements.....this is where I oppose all such attempts.If scripture is silent on it...I will be also.

Can you provide a verse or verses that sound like your statement?
    I am not just nit-picking but we need to slow down and be careful before we ascribe any motive to God.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I agree.the most important thing about Romans 5 that cannot be compromised is the connection with the first Adam brought sin and death to all men that it touches. The gospel is based on the last Adam being linked to all believers that are found in Jesus on the last day.

You cannot deny the fall of the first Adam, and expect to understand life in the second Adam, the last Adam.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My guess is that you believe all that Jesus was suppose to accomplish on earth was done. I have always liked the saying born once, die twice, born twice, die once.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    17 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Jesus always did the Fathers will..... and then we have this also:
    8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.

I think this verse in hebrews speaks to what we are used of god to accomplish and complete the outworking of this work

#28 Iconoclast, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Questions

5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

What was this glory Jesus was asking of from God the Father? I believe there is another verse somewhere that states, "and gave him glory". Was it absolutely necessary for that glory, whatever that glory is, be given the Son?
    What would the Son have been without that glory?

10. Skandelon

Romans 11:32

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus in coming to earth ...we are told ..humbled Himself:
    The glory of God is in part a filling ...with the outshining of His Glory, or brightness of His Divine person..

Jesus in coming to earth as the Servant of the Lord....voluntarily veiled the visible manifestation of His Glory...which He had already as God.

In hebrews 1 we read this:

Isa described God's glory as filling the temple....