1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What "amount" of Good Works validate Faith?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Nov 5, 2019.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you ever back up anything you post with scripture?

2. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It certainly appears that Solomon did exactly that.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lame.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Craig I can/do empathize with your position here, I've been there. I'll give you some advice which I'm pretty sure you won't do, but here it is anyway:

Strip away everything from your mind that you think you know about the Bible. Approach it as a child that knows nothing, praying as David, " Open thou mine eyes, let me behold wondrous things from thy law". Start reading on page one Genesis and read straight through as quickly as possible in order to get the 'ideal' of it.

You'll be amazed at the difference from what it says and what you've been taught that it says.

And, you'll never be sorry you did it.

5. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good works are motivated by love. If you go to work motivated by greed, it is a bad work. If you go to work motivated by love for God and others, it's a work of faith and good.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has to be an evidence of a changed heart and mind, such as desiring to pray, to read bible, to obey God, to be willing to witness etc, just something to show new life now in Christ!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stated just something as simple as giving someone a glass of water, helping out poor and needy, qualifies... God is not so much into quantity as into quality of the good works...

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. mailmandan

mailmandan Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there WILL be evidence IF we truly are saved. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Craig Betts

Craig Betts Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I should probably do that. My problem is that I'm too lazy to go and find the specific passages. I know they are in the scriptures but I've never been good about giving the particular address of the passage.

10. Craig Betts

Craig Betts Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But was the thief on the cross justified or not?? He had no time to exhibit good works. That right there proves that our salvation is proven strictly by faith. There SHOULD be good works, but that is NOT what saves you.

Folks, I think that what needs to be considered here is the fundamental truth that if you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, you will be saved. My whole point in my postings is the fact that our justification in Christ is only accomplished by our belief and trust in the gospel. None of us will argue with that because the scriptures are clear. Strip everything else away except this very truth. Faith alone is what saves you! Your works cannot be used as proof that your very soul has been justified by Christ. Your works prove your sanctification. The very singular act of a person being saved and immediately filled with the Holy Spirit is only accomplished through one method - FAITH. You simply have to believe and trust the gospel to receive this transaction. After that, then it is all about the works and spiritual growth. I am 100% for living holy as a follower of Christ. I don't think that you can just do whatever you want as a Christian and get away with it. There will be serious consequences for choosing to live rebelliously. God may even choose to just take you out early. God will discipline His children who willfully live in sin. But everyone still wants to backload salvation with works. You can't do that. I honestly think that the reason people do this is because ultimately they don't think it is fair that someone could simply believe and then become regenerate, and then still have a sinful life. People are proud and want to be able to look inside of themselves and rest in their good deeds as proof. But how many good deeds does it take? How many good works do I need before you will consider me to be a regenerate person? What about tomorrow when I end up having a terrible day where I messed up multiple times? Was the thief on the cross regenerate? He had no good works to prove it. I can't look at my good deeds to prove that the Holy Spirit lives inside of me. The issue here is the fundamental transaction that occurs when the Holy Spirit enters a man's soul and immediately he is born again. That can only happen one way - by believing in the gospel. God promised that if we believed, we would be saved. Is he going to break His promise? But who are we to try and look inside a man's soul and determine if he is truly regenerate based on how many good works he exhibits? You can have doubts, but you cannot say that he is definitely not saved. Only God knows if the man truly believed or not.

#50 Craig Betts, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our focus must never been on what we are doing, but must stayfocused on what Jesus did for us while on that Cross, as he accomplished salvation, I did not!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stay focused on making sure love for God and enemies remains my motive.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    its not love, but faith in Him that saves us though....

14. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua I'm surprised you forgot about:

John 13:35
    New American Standard Bible
    "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

That kind of does it though for this thread I realize.

Remember Matthew 10:42

New American Standard Bible
    "And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."

And Matthew 25:37-40
    37Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’40And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith works by love. No love no true faith.

“For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.” Galatians 5:6 (KJV 1900)

“For [if we are] in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith activated and energized and expressed and working through love.” Galatians 5:6 (AMP)

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why witness if man is saved with out faith. Don't you believe man's decision means nothing.
    MB

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love is the fruit of the Holy Spirit once we are saved, but not the cause of us being saved!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No true love unless we are saved first!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sinners must believe in Jesus to get saved, but its the will of God that saves them, not their own efforts and will!

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, not saying otherwise.