1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Are main Differences between Arms and Non cals?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Yeshua1, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. Thanks. :)
    Well, I do believe you can reject the Holy Spirit.

I guess I understand these doctrines less than I thought I did, since I had to ask. xD Oh well.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Calvinists believe the same things. That said, Cals haven't misused the terms, non and anti-cals have.

Get your act together. :thumbs:

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and incredibly they believe that while belief can only occur after regeneration it need not happen instantaneously, in fact they believe one can be regenerated and not be saved. This is how some Cals explain Hebrews 6:4.

I would add that God regenerates us because of belief and it happens in an instant.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Define the 'you' who reject the Holy Spirit.

All of His WILL come to Him, i.e. irresistible grace. Thus it is only applicable to His sheep.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Don't feel bad, Calvinism can be somewhat complex, and all Calvinists do not believe the same.

The problem that arises between Calvinists and non-Calvinists is they view God differently.

Calvinists generally (CYB) believe that God only loves a few certain persons called the elect. God chose these persons before the foundation of the world to be saved, based upon no conditions in the man himself, but known only to God. At God's chosen time, he will regenerate these persons so that they will be willing to believe on Jesus Christ.

All others God simply passes by and lets them perish in their sin.

Non-Cals believe that God loves all men and desires all men to be saved, but he does not compel anyone to be saved. God does not regenerate a person and make them irresistibly willing, but he lovingly persuades men to be saved. But the man makes his own choice. If a man does choose Jesus and place their trust in him, at this point God regenerates that person and makes them born again.

Calvinists object that non-Cals teach a man saves himself. Non-Cals object that Calvinism makes God non-loving and the author of sin.

Those are the basics, but there is much more to it. Stick around and you will understand it soon.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post answers the OP, IMO.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

See, it is getting complex already.

Calvinists believe God calls men with two different callings. God calls non elect persons with a "general" call. There is no supernatural power in this call, it will not regenerate the person who hears it, so that person will remain hostile toward Jesus and the gospel and will not believe.

The other calling is called "effectual" or "irresistible". This call goes out to the elect only, and will immediately make that person perfectly willing to receive Jesus and believe on him.

A preacher can preach a sermon to a crowd. Some may receive the general call and will not be saved. Others might receive the effectual or irresistible call and these persons will absolutely believe and be saved.

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Even thought "Cals" and non-cals disagree to one extent or another on most points, I think the biggest "issue" at the crux, is election. Non cals tend to see election more in terms of purpose, mission and corporate, whereas Cals tend to view election more in terms of individual soteriology.

9. Herald

Herald New Member

Calvinists certainly do see an effectual call regarding the individual. But they also see a corporate call (although not the same type of corporate call held to by Skandelon). God is calling a people for Himself (the Church). This one, called out people has existed from the time of Adam. As each person is brought into the fold they become part of the Church.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the comedic term is Calminian.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I modified your post to clarify.

First of all, many among those communions are unsaved. Those that are saved would overwhelmingly be of an Arminian stripe.

Within the Lutheran camp there are conservative churches. Many display an anti-Reformed stance --so their default position is certainly Arminian.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above bears repeating.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't think that is the great issue. The issue is how God is portrayed. I object to a system that portrays God as one who simply passes by people and lets them die in their sins, this does not accurately represent God in the scriptures at all.

And actually, in Calvinism God doesn't simply pass by folks, in Calvinism God cursed men to be totally depraved and unable to believe, and then punishes them for the very inability he cursed them with. Horrendous.

THAT is the issue.

#33 Winman, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminian is not by default the anti-Reformed stance - it carries it's own theology which is, to a large extent, aligned with Calvinism (after all, it was derived from Calvinism). There are plenty of non-Cals who are distinctively non-Arminian.

Lutheran is a good example. They reject Calvinism - but their doctrine also stands in opposition to Arminianism. In my area, there are plenty derived from Anabaptist doctrine, which is also non-Arminian to the core but remains anti-Reformed as well.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you've never read Luther's "Bondage of the Will". It's frequently cited by Calvinists to make arguments for man not having a free will. Lutherans are definitely not Arminian.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly am familiar with it. I have cited it numerous times on the BB. It is indeed excellent. However, most Lutherans have departed radically from Luther's soteriology in this area. The more conservative ones lean more toward Luther's POV in this regard.

Again, they are a varied bunch. I will contend that they are certainly not Calvinists. The more conservative congragations do have Calvinistic intersections, but they are not Reformed. And I know that Presbyterians and other groups would not dare say that any Baptists are Reformed either. But the more charitable among them would acknowledge our Calvinistic moorings. Present-day Lutherans by-and-large are not in the Calvinistic camp unless you want to make it an even bigger tent than it has become.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the Lord saved me, have jouneyed to being at first an Evangelical arm, to an Amyraldist, to holding now to all 5 points of calvinism, and still think
    Amyraldianism if a form of calvinism, and that some here might be in that camp and not realise what it was called!

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'some' calvinists hold to that, but as Spurgeon himself said, he preaches to those needing to get saved,not saved already by God, for why preach to thsoe already regenerated/converted!

So would as a Cal see BOTH happening so close to each other, like same event!

#38 Yeshua1, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Logical position for an Arm would be to have God honor free will even after salvation, and so could choose to fall away, but MOST arms also hold to OSAS!

Theri founder was himself unsure on this issue!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    election IS indeed the main division here, as that relates to how one views the part, if any, man plays in getting saved!

And while some cals see God as being active in determine the lost/saved state of sinners, MOST would hold to him being determining the stae of the saved in direct/active way, but passing over those still remaining lost!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.