1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the BEST Bible correspondence Schools?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

this includes correspondence Bible colleges and seminaries.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I'm having a really good experience with Seminary Extension.

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

Moody Bible Institute and Luther Rice Seminary should certainly be considered. Reformed Theological Seminary has a distance education program via the internet, and RTS is highly regarded among Reformed Baptists.

For those interested in ministerial training and not concerned about a degree, I would highly recommend the Founders Study Center. Check it out at http://study.founders.org/ .

Bill

4. Plain Old Bill

Thanks for the site Boadus.

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Bill, if you are looking for inexpensive Bible study. Look at the South-African Theological Seminary.

I took 23 hours of Old Testament Review. They charged me $7.00 a credit hour (SEVEN) due to the exchange rates.

And don't think it was a simple course. I was given a work book that I downloaded and had to buy four reference books. All of the reference books were found on Amazon. They cost more than the program did.

Be prepared to do a lot of writing. They are also VERY relaxed on deadlines; because most of their students are working.

They started out KJVO, but dropped that after about six months.

This is the only course I took, but based on what I saw they are relatively theologically correct.

Now, whether or not you can transfer credits, don't ask me. But, I think they are tied in with the University of South Africa which is no small university.

Hang on a sec and let me get you a link:

http://www.sats.edu.za/index2.html

Look at this and use it at your own risk. All I can say is that I learned TONS about the Old Testament because of the homework assignments of reading and doing reports.

One interesting assignment was to write about "David's empire" from Bathsheba's point of view. Just an example of how they can make you look at things in a different fashion.

I don't know their prices now, but they still call me a student and I'm still allowed into another site the sponsor that allows TONS of reading material on different subjects. Some good, some bad. It is meant to be a library, not a perfectly doctrinally correct location. Many are simply links to other sites. But, you will find a lot of good material there.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

They are now $78 for a 6 credit hour (college credit hours) course. Still not bad at all. You will have to obtain some books, but I got some of mine on ebay.

I found my syllibus:
    The required books for the course "A survey of the OT" were:

1. A Survey of the OT by Andrew Hill/Walton
    2. An Introduction to the Old testament and its study by Robert Cate
    3. Complete Bible Handbook by Richards
    4. Jensen's survey of the old testament by Irving Jensen
    (Plus, obviously, Your Bible, any standard accepted translation.)

By the time I was through with the 24 credit hour course, I had pretty much read all four books above, PLUS the entire Old Testament.

They estimate it takes about 10 hours for each college credit hour offered. It took me a little more.

One of the Outcomes was the "Study of Grace as shown in the Old Testament".

7. Plain Old Bill