1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the differences....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the difference between a liberal and conservative Christian.
    So out of many different areas - what would determine which side of the fence you are on?

For example - out of 10 issues you are so conservative -you are falling off the right side -
    BUT on tenth issue (ie - mens hair will NOT touch the ears) well would just one issue
    put you on the liberal side???

and you can discuss both the religious as well as political issues

Let the fighting begin....

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Standards (skirt length, skirts v slacks, hair length, make-up, ink, piercings, etc) will all have a moral element - a "strong standard" leaning, an "open" leaning, or a "no standard" leaning. Most are personal, cultural PREFERENCES and the Bible will only give general direction, not "thou shalt not's". We can chase each other around Robin Hood's barn on most of them and not agree.

I went to a fundamental Baptist college that had hundreds of rules. Many were arbitrary at best and absurd at worst. BUT
    #1 - I agreed to attend and abide by the rules and to break a RULE (and my word) would be sinful
    #2 - college President made sure everyone knew the RULE was not spiritual; it was just the way running a thousand students required for efficiency or for helping the students form good habits

So you had hair rules and dress rules and conduct rules and study rules and dorm rules and dating rules, Many of the latter were in response to my personal actions, but that's another story.

3. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a distinction between a theological liberal / theological conservative and a cultural liberal / cultural conservative. I'm sure there are other categories as well.

Theological liberalism starts with a view of the Bible that is less than inerrant and infallible in all its writings.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Liberal in regards to theology, political, or social cultural views?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I MUST be a Liberal, for proverbs teaches "the liberal soul shall be made fat". Wife says every part of me is fat, therefore . . .

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal I would say is someone who does not follow Sola Scriptura where Scripture is the final authority on all issues.

A Conservative is one who does follow Sola Scriptura. It's worth nothing this presupposes inerrancy.

On social and political issues a Conservative can wind up at a "Liberal" conclusion, and vice versa.

A Liberal who believes in evolution could believe that abortion is wrong because it violates human rights guaranteed by nature itself. He would be on the same side as a Conservative who thinks that man is in God's image, children in the womb are mankind and thus we shouldn't murder them.

A Conservative that believes we should take Dominion over the Earth as commanded in Genesis can arrive at the conclusion that environment protections are still needed due to the mankind temporarily stewarding God's creation. He would agree with a radical environmentalist on some issues.

Adding this part as an afterthought for clarity. @Salty feel free to edit it out if you don't want examples. It's not negative towards anyone.
    I think some examples on this board of Conservative Theological views arriving at Semi-Liberal, or at least Abnormal Conservative Social Conclusions are:
    -My views on the Environment, Economy and agriculture
    - @AustinC position on Civil Disobedience
    - @JonC position on the COVID vaccines

I'd say all 3 of us are Theologically Conservative and adhere to Inerrancy. We just wind up at different conclusions on different issues.

#6 Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A conservative follows Scripture. A liberal tries to make Scripture fit their own world view. A Liberal tries to make God a god of their own design.

• Winner Winner x 1