1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the Main differences between reformed Baptists and other Baptists then?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Yeshua1, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, the Confessional based Baptists are unable to address the topic, so they seek to change it. Non-Confession based Baptists believe Christ is the propitiation or means of salvation for the whole world, 1 John 2:2 Christ died as a ransom for all.

As I said, Confession based Baptists manufacture change of subject issues (such as Christ is not the means of salvation when of course He is.)

#61 Van, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another effort to change the subject and imply inappropriate behavior on my part. Note I pointed out a non-Confession based belief that everyone (even Reformed Baptists) are saved by grace through faith. When God credits our heart-felt love and devotion to God and Christ as righteousness, whatever flaws in our doctrine that may exist do not matter.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nonsense

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another taint so post. Jesus is indeed the means of salvation. The propitiation or means of salvation for the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

"Hilasmos This word occurs two times, once in 1 John 2:2 and one in 1 John 4:10. It means “an appeasement, a satisfaction, or a propitiation.” It may also refer to the means of propitiation or satisfaction. Jesus Christ is the means and only means of satisfying God’s holiness and appeasing His holy wrath."

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Returning to topic:
    [Note that none of the following distinctives say all or each and every baptist, rather the statements apply to at least more than one baptist within the specified groups. :) ]

Non Confession based Baptists believe the Bible means what it says, Jesus will reign on earth for 1000 years.
    Non Confession based Baptists believe Christ died as a ransom for all.
    Non Confession based Baptists believe Christ became the propitiation (or means of salvation) for the whole world.
    Non Confession based Baptists believe the Elders report and are accountable to the congregation.
    Non Confession based Baptists believe we are saved by grace through faith.
    Non Confession based Baptists believe in open communion, open to all professing believers.

Reformed Baptists deny the earthly 1000 year reign.
    Reformed Baptists deny Christ died as a ransom for all.
    Reformed Baptists deny Christ is the propitiation (means of salvation) for the whole world.
    Reformed Baptists deny that church leaders (no matter the title) are accountable to the congregation.
    Reformed Baptists deny we are saved by grace through faith, they claim we are saved then given faith.
    Reformed Baptists deny open communion to all professing believers.

Now will what follows be on topic discussion of distinctives or more manufactured deflection?

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still making categorical statements without qualifying them. Mind you, I'm in the Non-Confessional category. The most categorical statement I can make comes from my church's founding (1881) statement:
    We believe in the docrines commonly held by the [Northern] Regular Baptists.

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One Scripture, Van, just one will do, where the Lord Jesus Christ is referred to as a 'means of salvation.'

A hammer or a nail is a means of carpentry. A carpenter is not a means of carpentry; he's a carpenter.
    A fishing rod or a net is a means of fishing. The fisherman is not a means of fishing; he's a fisherman.
    The Bible and Gospel preaching are means of salvation. The Lord Jesus Christ is not a means of salvation, He's the Saviour, and so He is described over and over again in Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 2:2 says Jesus is the propitiation, and the quote I provided says the Greek word translated propitiation refers to the means of appeasing God's wrath. Thus Jesus is the means of salvation from God's wrath.

9. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote snipped.

If you don't want to continue then why do you?

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone wants to misrepresent my words a indicating I said each and every baptist believes this or that, all I can say is that is manufacturing a problem to avoid the subject.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My posts are not addressed to you, as you are addressing me rather than the topic.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there other differences between non Confession based baptists, and Confession based Baptists? How about God predestines whatsoever comes to pass (Reformed Baptists) and God causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass, non Confession based Baptists? Or Regeneration before Faith versus Faith before regeneration? We could make a very long list.

13. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes,that is what Universalists believe.

As for your following post, that has already been answered. So why repeat it?

14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 2:2. 'And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but for the whole world.'
    What the verse tells us is that the Lord Jesus Christ, by His life and death, has propitiated God in respect of the sins of Christians and also in respect of the whole world. We can argue about what 'the whole world' means on another thread if you want, but the point is that the text says nothing about our Lord being the 'means of salvation' for anyone at all. He is the Saviour! 'And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Saviour of the world' (1 John 4:14). Not 'means of salvation,' which John might perfectly well have written had He not been directed by the Holy Spirit, but 'Saviour.'

Now will you please find a Bible text that tells us that the Lord Jesus Christ is the 'means of salvation,' or will you admit that you are in error?

I know that you will do neither, but at least everybody will plainly know that your theology comes out of your own brain and not from the Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Martin, I provided the verse, and the word meaning. You on the other hand, rewrote the word (propitiation) into propitiated. Not how it reads. Please address the fact that the Greek word translated as propitiation refers to the means of salvation from God's wrath.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another charge, and misrepresentation. Jesus is the means of salvation from God's wrath. And not only for us, but also for the whole world, all of fallen mankind. But being the means of salvation does not indicate everyone receives the salvation. Only those of God's choosing are transferred into Christ where God's wrath toward them is propitiated.

I repeated my description of the differences between non Confession based Baptists, and Confession based (Reformed) Baptists.
    The responses have been from mostly from Reformed Baptists, denying their doctrines or misrepresenting the scope of my descriptions.

I do not recall where you clearly posted several of the differences between the two groups, perhaps I missed it? :)

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that many non confessing Baptists also hold to limited atonement views, and are you really sure what propitiation means as per the scriptures then?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus die in the place of those sinners who will be in hell than?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So ALL of them were in error?

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Yeshua1, you have posted 3 times and failed to address the topic. What do you say the differences are.

In response to your deflection posts:

1)Not many non Reformed Baptists hold to Limited Atonement as defined by Calvinism. The prevailing view among non Reformed Baptists. is that "Christ died as a ransom for all."

2) Christ is the propitiation or means of salvation from God's wrath, not only for our sins, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3) Yes, every translation that says "compel" is in error according to Dr. Wallace and the BDAG. I did find three translations that use "urge" the NET, NLT, and God's Word. at Luke 14:23

#80 Van, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.