1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are you preaching?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What questions are they asking? I did something like that. Got some great questions! Bet you all will too.

God has been doing some wonderful things with our series about verses that ought to change our church.

2. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

I will start a series on forgiveness- God forgiving us, forgiving others, and forgiving yourself( that may be the hardest forgiving to do).

I am using verses from Isaiah, Hebrews, and 1 John.

Part of the main idea is the precious gift of forgiveness. I desired to wrap this within the idea of a gift because of the focus on Christmas right now.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

These are the main questions we've gotten:

Why do you allow wars to be fought over you? (many feel that the reason for most wars is religion)

Why is Christianity so exclusive? Isn't there truth in every religion and if we are sincere in our beliefs, isn't that enough?

Why is there so much suffering in the world?

Why do you seem so hidden and not like in the Old Testament where you spoke to people?

What is MY purpose in life?

Why do good people die and lousy rotten ones live?

Why was I abused as a child?

Am I going to see my lost loved ones?

What is the purpose of life? We're born, we live, we die. What for??

What purpose is there to suffering?

Since God created man and man sinned, and God knew what man was going to do, didn't God create sin?

Why did God go ahead and make Satan if He knew he was going to fall. Why did He make Adam and Eve knowing they were going to sin? Why not just start over again with perfect people?

How did God come to exist?

If we are created in God's image, why is man so messed up?

4. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, good (and tough) questions.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Sunday is the first day of Advent so that will be the source of my preaching for the next several weeks. We are also having a hanging of the green service Sunday night, to "review" the meaning behind the colors and items of Advent with scripture reading and carol singing. Come Thou Long Expected Jesus!

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

FINALLY! Someone doing an Advent series.

I was starting to wonder if anyone was doing their job :tongue3:

I love Advent. I wish more evangelicals didn't have an allergy to it. One sermon (if they even give that) at Christmas is hardly enough, just as one for the Easter season isn't enough.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't come to the lectionary until several years into pastoring. Though I am not a slave to the text of the week and preach series not based on the lectionary, I can't imagine missing Advent, Epiphany, Pentecost, Lent and Easter week. It has made these seasons much more enjoyable for me spiritually. I just can't handle the "keep Christ in Christmas" sermon the Sunday before Christmas as adequate preaching considering the importance of Incarnation.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'me doing a series on the life of Samuel. Not sure what I'll tackle next - probably a New Testament book.

9. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Yes, but one does not have to go the advent route in order to preach more than a single sermon on Christ, His long-promised birth, the Incarnation, etc.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Are you suggesting that those with an allergic reaction to Advent only preach about the Saviour's incarnation once, at Christmas, and about His glorious resurrection once, at Easter?

If so, that isn't necessarilly true. Expository preaching through the gospel of Luke, for instance, will involve more than one sermon on the coming into this world of Jesus Christ, no matter what time of year it is started.

#30 David Lamb, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
  11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There isn't much I could say to say to those with the lectionary allergy that would help them see the value in it, you either appreciate it or you don't. One thing I failed to mention was the joining in with the collective church worldwide in emphasizing the same thing in our preaching.

12. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Sunday, I'm going to begin a new series entitled, "From the Cradle to the Cross to a Crown" (am).

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...on second thought, that should have read "next Sunday..."

14. patharris

patharris New Member

Action creates Opportunity

I preached on Acts 3 about how the action of Peter in healing the cripple created an opportunity for the Gospel to be preached.

And it worked, for me even....

A high school friend of mine's sister posted a note on Facebook that her brother was in the VA Hospital and would like some visitors. So after church I went to see him, hadn't seen him in 10 years or more, took him some hunting magazines and we had a nice visit. Found out he was saved and in church.

The next day his sister sent me a message and asked me where I preached, she was looking for somewhere to attend. Yesterday both her and her sister showed up for service, they had made a special trip back from vacation to attend. I firmly believe that my trip to the hospital, to see her brother, made the connection.

15. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is very cool! I agree about why they came!

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Praise God!! We've seen that sort of thing as well. :)