1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What basketball rule wouldja liketa change?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Mar 5, 2006.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd liketa see the 5-second rule(when a player is in possession of the ball, closely guarded by a defender, & fails to pass, take a shot, or dribble from the spot within 5 seconds of becoming stationary while guarded) eliminated when a shot clock rule is in place.

This does NOT include the 5-second rule for inbounding the ball. That's an excellent rule.

I know the 5-second rule was added to discourage "stallball", but, with a shot clock rule that states the ball must either be put through the rom. ot touch it, within a specified time period, the 5-second rule is an unnecessary burden.

I'd also liketa see a universal shot clock rule with a 30-second limit.

What's YOUR opinions on this, or upon other rule changes YOU'D liketa see?

2. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

"Jordon Rule" ;)Tired of hearing so and so will get that call because they are...... Or that rookie is not going to get that call. Is it a call or not, who cares who you have to call it on.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Eliminate alternating possessions on a tied-ball situation.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Reduce the total number of timeouts each team has. The flow of the game is fouled up when 5 timeouts are called in the last minute of play.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any alternative suggestions? This rule was made to eliminate the time-consuming jump-ball situations, and to be as fair as possible. I cannot think of a fair alternative.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree!

Also, I'd take a hard look at the practice of the team that's behind committing a foul the instant the team that's ahead possesses the ball. Some people call that "strategy", but I call it "stall-ball".(JIMHO)

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

roby,

If referees would be more consistent in calling the "intentional foul" (2 shots + the ball), then at least we would see the player go for the ball and not just wrap up the opposing player.

When I coached basketball, we won a couple of games by fouling late in the game, when we were behind. It stopped the clock, and forced the other team to hit free throws (which they didn't). You miss too many front ends of 1-and-1, you can get yourself in big trouble.

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Oh man! Is this ever true.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to see the player who is fouled while shooting get an attempt to get one more point than if he had shot the ball and made it. I think it would reduce the number of fouls.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Any alternative suggestions? This rule was made to eliminate the time-consuming jump-ball situations, and to be as fair as possible. I cannot think of a fair alternative. </font>[/QUOTE]The alternative is to go back to what we had. I don't find jump-ball situations anymore unfair than Player A tying up Player B and the ball just given back to Player B.

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RBell:If referees would be more consistent in calling the "intentional foul" (2 shots + the ball), then at least we would see the player go for the ball and not just wrap up the opposing player.

Shoot, they often can't decide if a collision is a block or a charge, while the rule is clear. anout which is which. But I agree about the intentional foul.

It's not the smartest thing to do. Sometimes, a player succeeds in stealing the ball w/o fouling.

When I coached basketball, we won a couple of games by fouling late in the game, when we were behind. It stopped the clock, and forced the other team to hit free throws (which they didn't). You miss too many front ends of 1-and-1, you can get yourself in big trouble.

Youse guys got lucky. Usually, it's a desperation tactic that fails.

Recently, in an Ohio state tourney game, my sons' former school's team went into the last 2 minutes of a game, ahead by 5. The opponents began fouling, drawing the game out for 7 minutes, and losing by 14. My sons' former school, Chesapeake, OH is one of the best free-throw shooting teams in the state.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

AMEN. It does not take more time to have a jump ball.

I'd also like to see the "falling out of bounds but grant the time out" rule changed, unless the player (1) Has possession and (2) has at least one foot on the floor when the time out is called. This is ridiculous.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any alternative suggestions? This rule was made to eliminate the time-consuming jump-ball situations, and to be as fair as possible. I cannot think of a fair alternative. </font>[/QUOTE]Count it as a turnover and give it to the defense every time. If in transition, go to a jump ball or alternating possession.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having been a player 100 years ago ;) , I disagree. The timeouts are a valuable part of the game that helps differentiate b-ball (situational strategy) from sports like soccer.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preferrably, get officials to call fouls tighter. If not, reduce the number of fouls allowed from 5 (or 6 NBA) to 4.

This would speed the game up by reducing fouls and also force more teams to play into their bench, ie rewarding coaches that develop all their players.

16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

How is that fair? A jump ball means that both players have a legitimate claim on the ball.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is that fair? A jump ball means that both players have a legitimate claim on the ball. </font>[/QUOTE]How is it fair that the defensive player works that hard to tie the ball up then has to jump it off or alternate possessions?

It is fair because most tie ups are the result of a defender or defending rebounder playing well or else by an offensive player playing poorly.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

As long as we don't go back to a jump ball--

Should that happen, I, as a 5'9" point guard, will file a formal complaint with the NCAA, EEOC, NAACP, NRA and UN. VERTICALLY CHALLENGED POINT GUARDS OF THE WORLD UNITE!!! :mad:

dude...I'm more worked up over this than any other BB topic. [​IMG]

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Didn't Jimmy V employ this strategy in the 1983 title game to get back into the game, allowing NC State to pull off the upset? One of the funniest things about this was the day of the game, some smart sports writer had written, "Elephants will fly and trees will dance before NC State wins tonight." The next day, the same sportwriter started his column with, "Elephants are flying and trees are dancing this morning..." He was one smart fellow.

This takes the rule to its logical conclusion, I think, and I agree.

Good point. Possession is established in football when you have feet on the ground. Nobody has possession of the ball when they are in the air. Though they are entirely different games, the idea of possessing the ball should include having a foot on the ground in college, 2 feet on the ground in the pros.

If so, you may want to consider what the phrase "get a life" means. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Many tie ups are the result of good play by the defender, I agree. But not all of them, and therefore to say that you give the ball automatically to the defender is not fair IMO.

For example, on a rebound 2 players get their hands on the ball and end up in a tie up. The tie is not a result of good play by the defender. Both players have a claim to the ball and to automatically give it to the defender is not right.

I do not like the alternating possessions either, but I do not know a completely fair alternative.