1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What basketball rule wouldja liketa change?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Mar 5, 2006.

1. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I would like to see the 3 point shot line extended out a little farther.

And being a Pitt fan, I would like to see a rule that says that Aaron Grey can not be on the court with less than two minutes left in a game since he couldn't hit a foul shot if his mother's life depended on it.

But I doubt if they will pass it on time. ;)

http://pittsburghpanthers.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gray_aaron00.html

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

AMEN. It does not take more time to have a jump ball.

I'd also like to see the "falling out of bounds but grant the time out" rule changed, unless the player (1) Has possession and (2) has at least one foot on the floor when the time out is called. This is ridiculous.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Let's go for "in control" with both 'feet on the floor', so to speak, as well as when the ball is "on the floor' and one person grabs it for a half second, and calls "Time Out".
    I would also like to see palming the ball, and carrying the ball called, too. The rules are clear here; the violation isn't called. Any so-called 'hesitation' dribble, by definition, is carrying the ball. Most sharp changes of direction with the dribble, also involve carrying the ball. Angling or 'fanning' slightly the lanes, a la the 'International' game should also be considered. I have little objection with most of the proposals, here, save a shortened shot clock.
    And I particularly agree with SBCPastor about the jump-ball.
    Ed

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Oh yeah, one more thing. Don't change the times-out. Televised games already have one fewer discretionary time-out each half, than non-televised games. The TV timeout may save a time-out for a coach, but it may also have the effect of giving the opposition a free time-out as well. And both are not necessarily beneficial to a team playing well. A reduction would penalize the coach who does not want to call a time-out early, even more. Far more college games are NOT televised than are, from top to bottom. How many NCAA Division III, NAIA, NJCAA, and Nat'l Christian College games have you seen on TV, lately? As a matter of fact, how many of the 330 Division I schools have you seen on National TV? The world of College Basketball can always find a way to fit UConn v. Duke or KY v. IU into any schedule. I suspect it would be a bit harder to find Texas A&M, Corpus Christi v. Winthrop most of the time.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I thought this was being considered Jack. In Wake's first half dozen home games (or so) this year, they played with one.

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

The defensive team gets it every time. It is the team on offense who has the responsibility to maintain posession of the ball. If a defensive player is able to get into a "mine/yours" situation, with both having the ball, then the offense has failed to maintain posession.

Give it to the other team.

Mike

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

But, as PastorSBC pointed out, on a rebound, nobody has established possession. What do you in that situation?

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, if I'M coaching, you would give MY team the ball...of course... [​IMG]

8. GLC

GLC New Member

I would like to see a rule for next year that Tubby Smith has to recruit one quality power foward and no more 7-footers who have never played organized basketball.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh- although I was tempted to laugh here, I believe ya' acid-dentally- 'er I mean accidentally got this in the wrong thread!

Listen closely, Ed, and try to do what I say!
    !
    "Breathe deeply" :D

"Hold it in" :(

"Let it out slowly!" [​IMG]

"Whew!!" [​IMG]

Okay, long enough with the straight face.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed [​IMG]