1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by James_Newman, May 4, 2007.

1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

We had that exact formula here in the Governor's race last November. Kinky Friedman was the candidate for those who don't usually register or vote. A funny thing happened though; those people didn't register or vote again. Those who don't vote don't care.

We ended up with one of the most crooked Governor's in state history once again, who won with just 39% of the vote, due to the anti-Perry ticket being split amongst the 3 other candidates.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That was sort of my point, except that I think Guiliani would be worse. Maybe just a matter of degree, though.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Dont get me wrong. As things stand now, it cannot be done. It would take a major shift in the mindset of the American people. People would have to start caring about inept, leaderless politicians taking this country to ruin.

It would take an inspiring individual to say the least. Really, we get the candidates we deserve. If our standards are so low that out of 300 million people, the two finalists are Bush and Kerry, and we as a nation allowed that, what does it say about us? It says our leaders are but a reflection of us.

Until the American people wake up, raise their expectations of what our leaders should be, until they get a vision of what God would have this nation to be, we will get the same old recycled trash as usual. Look at the three top runners in each party now and see what I mean.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was, of course, referring to the generals.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I may be wrong, but I believe Ron Paul has stated that he would not run as a third party candidate if he did not get the Republican nomination. It's understandable. So really the only chance is him getting the GOP nomination, and I guess thats what I am wondering about most, how does he get that nomination? Can I vote in the Republican primaries? Do I need to go register as a republican?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It varies from state to state. In my state (Kentucky), one must register as a democrat to vote in the democratic primary and a republican to vote in the republican primary. At present, I am a republican, only because it allows me to vote in the primary. If I register third party, I cannot vote in any primary.

In Wisconsin, it is a different story. You can be registered as a democrat and vote republican and vice versa.

Each state is different, so someone familiar with Texas law will have to answer your question.

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Congratulations!

Your first lesson for voting in Texas is that we have open primaries. This means that anyone may vote in either primary, although not both. Provided you are registered to vote, you may be the most liberal Democrat in America and vote in the Republican primary, or the most conservative Republican and vote in the Democratic primary. When you show the poll worker your voter registration card, they will stamp it with "Republican" or "Democratic", depending on which primary you voted at. The two parties' primaries are held on the same day and usually at the same location in a given precinct. That is not always the case though, so you'll need to either look online or call your county clerk to find out your polling location for a particular party. It's always a good idea to arrive at the polls well in advance of closing time, in my case because I usually end up at the wrong place and have to ask those poll workers where my polling station is located.

I'm sure if you have other questions about helping out, Ron Paul's website will give you ideas and contacting them, either to ask questions about voting or helping out, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you.

Godspeed.

James R.

#27 Bro. James Reed, May 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007