1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What can we learn from Noah's Ark Regarding Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor_Bob, 40 minutes ago.

Watch Thread
    1. View attachment 443

Pastor_Bob
      Administrator Administrator

There can be no doubt that Noah had a deep-seated faith in God. He built the ark just as God had commanded him. Noah believed God when He told him that He was going to send the great flood. Noah had enough faith to take the initiative to get himself and his family into the ark even though they were the only ones on the planet who did so.

Here are a few lessons about salvation that I glean from Noah and the Ark:

1. The Bible says that Noah, by the simple fact that he obeyed God, "condemned the world."
      Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

In others words, Noah took advantage of the opportunity to seek safety in the ark. Everyone else had equal opportunity to do so as well. If they no choice in the matter, no invitation to come aboard the ark, then how could it be said that Noah "condemned" them?

2. Once a man accepts or rejects the offer of safety in the ark, his decision is a lasting decision.

Genesis 7:16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in.

I am a firm believer in the eternal security of the believer. Just as Noah willfully entered into the ark by faith, so we enter into salvation by faith. Once we do, God shuts the door. No one can get out unless and until God says. We now for sure that Noah did not leave the ark until God told him that he could.
      Genesis 8:15 And God spake unto Noah, saying,
      16 Go forth of the ark, thou, and thy wife, and thy sons, and thy sons' wives with thee.

3. There was only one door into the ark.

Genesis 6:16 A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.

This totally eliminates salvation by any other means than by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6).

I'm sure there are several more types pictured here, but these three came to mind.

#1 Iconoclast, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This thread was here earlier then disappeared , but
    I found it again....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor_Bob,

[/QUOTE]
    [​IMG]

• Iconoclast

• When I look at the same account I see the lessons in this way;
      God and His grace, God and His Covenant are presented first;

5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

18 But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.

I start with these facts revealed by God to Moses, before I examine the other scriptural testimony of Noah's active obedience as written about In Hebrews 11....
    Once Noah was graced by God and given special revelation.....HE MOVED with fear and PREPARED an Ark to the saving of His household.....he believed God, His God given faith resulted in works of obedience,

#2 Iconoclast, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

18 But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.

Just what is my covenant? In reality is there just one covenant of God that is expressed in different ways?

That covenant being made before the foundation of the world?

That, I God, will sell that which is temporal and I God, will redeem eternally, unto myself.

Is that not what we see in all of scripture. The faith of God? God's faithfulness to fulfill his covenant?

Noah and his family shut up in the ark unto that purpose, through Shem?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Often, (imo) there are those who focus on the after and there are those who eye salvation before.

In Pastor Bob's remarks, he seems to focus upon the working out of salvation. God said it, Noah believed it, and was saved and secured by it.

Icon's remarks point to that individual salvation. Noah being graced by God, given special revelation, worked as God commanded within the framework of God's strength and timing, God gathering all those to be saved, so that the total work from the time of judgement upon humankind was to the glory of God.

There is a place for both teachings.

When one structures their instruction, the audience maturity must also be taken into consideration. Should I be addressing those who were growing in wisdom and understanding, I might use that of Icon's. Should I be addressing the children at a fifth grade or lower level of understanding and attention span, I might be more inclined to use Pastor Bob's.

They both have their place.

What I would not neglect in either presentation is that God connects Christ through a single family more than once in the Scriptures: Adam, Noah, Abraham, David. That each time it is a pivotal point necessary to pinpoint the Messiah.

Just a few random thoughts on this neat thread.

:)

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    agedman
    Hello AG
    I do not think the teaching here gives that option...It shows mans plight, and Goid's provision....it was not speaking of Noah coming to Jesus, as much as it was about God preserving the godly line for His own purpose and grace.

But is that what the gen 6 account is really dealing with????

I think it is all about preserving of the Godly line, by destroying the world of the ungodly.....it was NOT about choose yes or no.....it was about destruction of the ungodly without mercy.

I do not think so....

While instruction must be age appropriate as far as language and terms we use, we do not have the biblical right to make it our own personal bible story time so far as to deviate from the biblical facts.......or we wind up with russel crow being a psychotic environmentalist who has his own agenda from what the movie reviews said.

No.....the facts are exactly the same, the language is all that changes.

again...we cannot change the narrative and still have the word of God.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Ark and other Old Testament provisions speak of the sinner's need for salvation.

We all need an ark to shelter us from the waves of God's righteous anger against sin. We need a City of Refuge into which guilty sinners can run; a Scapegoat onto which we may transfer our guilt before God.

The Lord Jesus Christ is all these things to us and more. Notice though that the ark had to be built to God's exact specifications (Genesis 6:14-16). Only God's way of salvation will shield us in the day of His wrath.

Another interesting point is that the ark had to be covered inside and out with 'pitch.' The word translated 'pitch' is kaphar and everywhere else in the Bible it is translated 'cover' or 'atonement.' Without a covering of pitch or bitumen, the ark would have floated initially, but after a while the water would have seeped in and the ark would have foundered. Unless we are covered by the blood of Christ, our good works, no matter how splendid, cannot meet God's standard of absolute perfection (James 2:10 etc.). Only the blood of the Lamb of God, without spot or blemish, can make kaphar for us.

7. beameup

beameup Member

Noah’s ark rested on Mount Ararat on Nisan 17, the date of Jesus' resurrection and the Feast of Firstfruits.