1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What constitutes a "CULT"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Sep 2, 2009.

1. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember one time when I was about 14 years old, I attended a worship service with a group of non-denominational believers. The pastor/preacher/leader (whatever you would call him) would strum this electronic harp & the people would act like they were in some kind of a trance. This would be done throughout the entire service.

I thought that was some creepy stuff. Needless to say, I never went back there. I would consider them a cult of some kind, but definitely not an "occult".

It was located in an office building & only was around there for about three months.

The truth is not all cults are bad, but I will say there are some weird ones out there. Some people easily confuse cults with occults.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...or refuse to attend a local church while following Bill Gothard.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two separate issues the second being of no consequence outside of your subjective standard. Even adding them together, which is incorrect, does not equal a cult.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this too simplistic to go by these days?:

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: and every spirit that confesseth not Jesus is not of God...... 1 Jn 4:2,3

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...according to your subjective standard. I see them as quite intertwined.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need them intertwined.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:rolleyes: More "subjective standard" on your part...

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So you have no real standard?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, and it's not you.

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a real standard. Any one who doesn't agree with me is a cult. Very simple and straight forward. Though there is no dictionary that holds this point of view so by my definition all dictionaries are products of a cult. :laugh:

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is only good in context of gnosticism. At the time, the "Christian Gnostics" denied that Jesus had a human body because they believed the body (and the material world) to be evil. John was writing against the Gnostic teachings partially in 1 John and so he had this statement.

This statement is not a test for many other heresies.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Cult is a perfectly good word if used correctly. It describes many groups that are dangerous (such as Jim Jones, Koresh, Heaven's Gate, Church of Scientology, and others) and is useful when identifying groups that claim to be Christian but are not, such as the JWs, LDS, Oneness, etc. I do not use this term when talking to cultists but it is a good and useful term when educating believers on these groups. Just because a term is misused does not mean we can't use it.

Most people don't see a use for the term until someone in their family or church as joined a cult.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the word here for flesh is sarx which in koine means mortal flesh(subject to death) energized by blood.

The koine word for body is soma.

So, IMO this passage has a much wider scope than the error of "Gnosticism" which is not mentioned in the text of this passage.

Anyone who denys either the true deity or the true humanity of Christ comes under the condemnation of this passage.

Here is the Scripture logic.

John 1
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.​

HankD​

#33 HankD, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    CHARACTERISTICS OF A CULT (adapted from Josh McDowell's book Understanding the Cults)

These are for "Christian" Cults, although they may apply to cults within Hinduism, Buddhism, etc as well

1. MEW TRUTH
    Revelation from God is continuing and THEY have it. They have some book (or some translation that is the "real" truth and all else is not authority

2. NEW INTERPRETATION OF SCRIPTURE
    They hold the "Key" to understanding the mysteries of the Bible. Like neo-orthodoxy they use Bible words, but reinterpret Scripture to fit cult doctrine

3. NEW JESUS
    II Corinthians 11:4 warns of this attempt. Anything less than 100% God the Son and 100% human is heresy

4. NEW CHRISTIANITY
    Church has departed from the faith. Use Christianity as a "spring board" into all areas of belief

5. NEW LANGUAGE
    Double-talk - public consumption vs. private is very different

6. NEW GOD
    Replacing Triune Godhead with someone or something else (Satan, spirits, gods or goddesses replace YHWH)

7. NEW THEOLOGY
    No absolute foundation leads to shifting and ever changing belief systems

8. NEW LEADERSHIP
    In place of reading and interpreting the Word as "priests", cults often have strong leaders with unique access to God

9. NEW SALVATION
    Cults always emphasis WORKS to do or follow. Salvation is a process, only accessible to those in the cult

I would say a SECT of Christianity might have 1 or 2 of these characteristics, but still be mainline orthodox. They are confused doctrinally but probably still regenerated (Charismatic, Pentecostal, KJVonly, some Christian Church/Church of Christ)

A CULT would have 7+ of these marks (Jehovah's Witnesses, Latter Day Saints, Christian Science, Adventists, Masonic Lodge, Church of God, Moonies)

Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy are Christian DENOMINATIONS and not cults (although many argue Romanism to be a pagan religion totally separate from the general teachings of Christianity)

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yeah, I know about those words but it is still talking about denying that Jesus came in a real human body. The verse says anything about denying the deity of Christ. You are adding that to it.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Jesus is GOD is the assumed premise. Those who deny GOD became MAN (thus dying, redemption, etc) is what the heretics are.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was responding to a question about this as a test:
    Yes, the presumption overall in 1 John is that Jesus is God but this specific statement is saying that those who deny that Jesus came in a human body are not from God. It was a test for the early Gnostics (most scholars and Christian commentators believe) who denied that Jesus came in a body. This sentence does not address the deity of Christ and is not giving that as a test. I'm not talking about the overall requirements for heresy.

(Some New Agers will say Jesus is God but they are not Christians. So that is not always a good test, either. They may say that because they think everyone is divine or is God).

This is what that passage is I John is probably about:
    http://emp.byui.edu/MarrottR/352Folder/ism collection.html

#37 Marcia, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
  18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, let me repeat with some additional thoughts Marcia.

I showed you the scriptural logic and that by the same human author John the Apostle inspired by the Holy Spirit in both his gospel and epistles.

...The Word was God...
    ...The Word became flesh...

1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.​

"Jesus" His name referring to His manhood.
    "Christ" His title referring to His deity.​

The fact is that the phrase "human body" is not used, neither the word "body" to make it perfectly clear from the word sarx that Christ was/is a human being with human nature (apart from sin) subject to death as well as being truly God come in the flesh.​

In other words, Jesus Christ did not just appear to be a human being, He was a human being (born of woman) and as such was subject to death. ​

Angels have appeared as "men" with an apparent human body but they are not human beings. They were not "come in the flesh", nor "born of woman" and are not subject to death. ​

While Scripture is our final authority, above is the argument (and Scriptures) that Tertullian used against Marcion from this passage.​

Marcia, I understand what you are saying about and appreciate your knowledge concerning the ancient error called Gnosticism which is still with us today disguised in other forms. I am only trying to be helpful and fill in your extensive background. ​

The emphasis of this passage (1 John 4:2-3) is His mortal human nature (sarx) more than His human body (soma). His name Jesus referring to His humanity and the title "Christ" referring to His deity.​

God bless you in your diligence.​

HankD​

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So you are saying it is about denying the humanity of Jesus? Why do all the commentators say it is about denying that Jesus came in an actual human body?

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really see a difference in those two?