1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What constitutes beauty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by LeBuick, Dec 20, 2006.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I saw this blurb on the tube in my daughters room and really got to thinking, what constitutes beauty? When we choose a woman or teen to represent our nation, should we consider who they really are or only how they do in the pagent? By really are, I mean should the pagent stop when the camera's stop rolling or should we consider their every move or word during the entire process?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Miss-USA-and-Miss-Teen-USA-Seen-Kissing-42767.shtml

Being honest, I don't want either of these girls representing me...

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Me.............. for my wife. I am not putting on a bikini though.

3. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,

or as I have seen on some T-shirts in Wallmart,

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

We live in a day that has changed what we have believed for centuries.

When Americans weigh more than 20 pounds more than we did 40 years ago, it is strange that we are focused more on 'beauty'.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

What constitutes beauty? The Preacher's feet...:smilewinkgrin:

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns'" (Isa. 52:7, ESV).

"How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" (Matt. 10:15b, ESV).

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I love to put this in context and remind us they didn't have Cadillacs or even good shoes in those days. They usually walked the dusty roads in their bare feet.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I gotta' admit, like Bro. Bob, me in a bikini would not be considered 'beauty'. Beast? Maybe, with me, at least. :smilewinkgrin: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't agree. We're told that Christ had no physical beauty, and that beauty is something that is fleeting. Beauty is, therefore, an inherent quality of something, and though we find it very difficult to describe, we all know it when we see it.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The fruits of the Spirit add a countenance to one's face that is beautiful to me.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The image placed in one's head of ED in a bikini makes the brain hurt. :BangHead:

11. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

"Beauty" paegants have very little to do with actual beauty, which is a quality that trancends the physical, and everything to do with sexuality.

Unfortunately this is how society now defines beauty: sexuality=beautiful and beautiful=sexual.

I'm teaching my daughters a different definition, but it is very difficult when they are constantly bombarded by the worldly definition.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Great post!

13. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is so true. I'm teaching my sons a different definition as well.

14. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Pretty funny Pam.

For those teaching other definitions, do you mind sharing those definitions and how you are teaching them?

Sue, as usual, you are right on!

Bro Bob and Ed, you trying to get this moved to the mens forum. You two in a Bikini showing off your surgery zippers... :BangHead: :BangHead:

My problem with these contest, is somewhere in the land we have a very beautiful child that will never get this title while all the other girls are trying to immatate these two nuts. If we could get the real example to the forefront...

16. Joe

Joe New Member

It appears Donald Trump is allowing her to retain her title. She has expressed appreciation for her second chance, and according to the article, she has promised not to let him down. I don't believe everything I read though I will add her to my prayers. I hope she can straighten up, she's still very young.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061219/ap_on_en_ot/trump_miss_usa

17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Something or someone who conforms to or complements the character of God.

Character is what is important. And beauty scholarship pagents do not look for character, so they are meaningless, if not downright demeaning.

Does anyone honestly think Miss USA represents anything but the vanity of our nation? I mean, come on, its not like she is an ambassador to the U.N. or anything. :laugh:

18. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree Baptist Believer :thumbs: It is a contest which is very demeaning towards women and children, and society as a whole. Another reason of why we do not watch tv at all in our home. Very few channels worth watching...

19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Lebuick, my definition starts with the qualities found in the women of the Bible.

Esther for instance was physically beautiful and certainly clothed in the very best and lastest fashions of her time, yet it was her wisdom and her willingness to sacrifice her very life for others that makes her stand out.

Hannah was persistant.

The mother of Jesus was obedient.

Mary (of Mary and Marhta) had a passion for learning, especially learning about the things of God.

Tamar, knew how to bide her time and was clever, while at the same time sinning not, in order to get what was owed her. She is an example of what it means to not let yourself get run over, but to overcome in spite of your circumstances.

Debra wasn't afraid of a fight. She was obviously physically fit and capable of taking charge when the men in her life failed to do so. She's an example of why it is important to know HOW to take care of yourself, even if you never have too.

On the other hand, Delia was a trickster who used her body in dishonoring ways. Jezebel was a murderer. Their lifestyles show that physical beauty was only skin deep and it is what is underneath that makes us really beautiful.

I teach my girls that as Christians we should be full of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. Love, joy, peace.....

I teach my son the same, only where I'm teaching my girls how to be beautiful, I'm teaching my son how to discern beauty.

20. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I couldn't have spoken it better, menageriekeeper ... thank you.

I don't have any daughters, but I'm in complete agreement when it comes to my boys.