1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What constitutes heresy?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Bryant, Jan 27, 2010.

1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Sad, people are like that. I can understand though, I was going to post how my wife looks great in jeans or some stylish trousers, but I can understand how that could be misinterpreted. Maybe islam is right and women should wear the burka.

NOT.

Thing is we are all SO different.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good list because they are all things plainly taught in Scripture and are foundational to any understanding of Biblical Christianity.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not read all the posts (hope that doesn't make me guilty of heresy!), but for example the Church of Christ believes that Baptism completes salvation. Would than COC believe that Baptist are heretics?

Most Christians believe in the Trinity, but "Oneness" (ie Pen Asy World) does not, would that make them hectics?

Seventh Day Adventist do not believe in Hell, are they guilty of heresy.

So, as John earlier asked, who determines the core doctrines.

Remember, I Cor teaches ..."if a man have long hair it is a shame unto him..." oh my goodness!

Salty

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We shoudl be careful to note that not all pentecostals are "oneness" pentecostals. For example, Foursquare churches are pentecostal, but are not oneness. They affirm the trinity by faith and practice.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

heretic!...oh wait, nevermind...:thumbs:

My uncle-in-law (that works right?) is COC and he believes everyone is a heretic but those attending his church. Worse, he believes we're all not ending up in Heaven. COC believes everyone but them are heretics. They're crazy.

Oneness Pentecostals are heretics.

Actualy, Seventh Day people believe in Hell but are annihilationists.

This is their direct belief statment from their website: The unrighteous dead will then be resurrected, and with Satan and his angels will surround the city; but fire from God will consume them and cleanse the earth. The universe will thus be freed of sin and sinners forever.

Annihilationism isn't heresy.

Directly, the Bible and what it explicitly teaches. Indirectly, as they have been affirmed by the Church since Acts 2, the resultant councils and synods, and the general teaching carried through to today.

6. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

The Lord knows those who are His.

I would say that those you mentioned are in error. I had one run in with the Church of Christ people. And one of them dared to say I was not the Lords.

Trinity denial speaks for itself.

No hell. I would like to believe them but I do not see it in Scripture, besides, a very dangerous doctrine as you lose the fear of God.

Long hair? What length? Or just in a feminine way? What about Nazarites? Book of Numbers 6

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Interesting. Perhaps that's a reasonable rule of thumb. If it's an EXPLICIT teaching in scripture, then it might be considered core, but if it's IMPLICIT, then is can be considered noncore.

Of course, some people will still claim that, for example, that the ban on women wearing pants, or a ban on consuming alcohol, is explicit, when, in fact, it is not (in those cases, they're not even implicit, but people make docrines out of them anyway).

A good example is our own custom of baptism. We practice adult, believer's immersion as a prerequisite for membership in our churches. Yet this neither explicit nor implicit in scripture as a church membership requirement.

Just brainstorming there.

#27 Johnv, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hallelujah! I am 100% bona fide true blue non-heartick! :)

Thanks OR.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then there are lots on this board. Eternal redemption is over and done, yet they talk about it like it's still to be obtained by Christ for the sinner with the latter's cooperation. That is a denial of what is written in there.
    Hebrews 9:12.

#29 pinoybaptist, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...wow....Pinoy, looking at your avatar really surprises me; I would've never figgered you as being the bashful type! :)

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's supposed to be a happy chimp. I guess it got so frustrated it ended up covering its eyes.
    lol.