1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What constitutes "marriage"?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Harassment is not the same thing as saying the Mormons are a cult.

There are no laws in the U.S. against calling a group a cult or all my friends in countercult ministries would be in jail! :eek:

If there were such a law, it would be on the front page of every newspaper and the featured story on all the news, because the U.S. has the most wide-ranging free speech law in the world. In some European countries, for example, you cannot say anything in support of Nazis, but here you can. You can't foment uprisings but you are free to express your views, no matter what (as long as you are not harassing someone).

So you have not shown that I have violated any laws. I know 100% I can call the Mormons, the JW's, the Eckankar group, etc. cults and I am not breaking any law in doing so. [​IMG]

2. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Very good post donnA [​IMG]

3. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I AM disagreeing with shacking up, because it is nothing more then sin! in disguise all sugar coated to try and make it sound biblical.

5. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You live together---you are intimate---your married?????

What you have just described for us is not marriage----its the act of adultery and fornication and is a direct violation of the written laws of God found in the basic ten commandments and is a sin against Almighty God and comes awefully close to blaspheming the written word of God!!!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Frenchey---take a look at this post!

7. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Yes Blackbird i saw both post and was wondering how Gina would disagree with what you said.

Your post was for me a foothold to get her to give her definition of FORNICATION and ADULTRY. and she still hasn't. why because she Can't

Why so many are answering back to her instead of calling SIN sin is what i do not understand.(but then again i do) that in itself should end the topic.

8. Karen

Karen Active Member

I'm not sure you do understand. I disagree with Gina, but I'm trying to have a conversation.
    Among many other reasons, just ending the topic as you wish could imply that there are no answers to the questions she has posed.
    I try to answer with reasons, although not every possible reason. I don't have time. Nor do most people read lengthy posts anyway.
    But I do think conversation can be useful as to WHY we think something is wrong or right.

Gina isn't getting any kind of pass. She has been questioned hard. And few if any that have responded have agreed with her. But you SEEM to want to answer with one-word hammers. It won't convince her any more than it will convince any of the lurkers reading what we post.

Karen

9. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

the bible says Matt 7:6 "NOT to throw your pearls before SWINE". To have God's precious truth trampled on in the mud :(

meaning not to argue with someone who condones SIN or tries and justifies it. after it was clear her stance on this issue (about the first page or two) it isn't our job to answer questions, but to point a person saved or not to the truth about what God's word has to say on the matter. this isn't a gray area that can be argued and debated this is flat out SIN!

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Maybe in Kentucky (I doubt it though), but you can name someone anything you want. There is no legal requirement to put any particular surname on a child. As for your other objections, other legal documents than a marriage certificate work as well, such as powers of attorney. States also recognize single dad's rights (as well as holding them responsible for child support).

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Excuse me, thats the way it is in Ky, a mother gives her child her last name. I know I live here, had 2 children here, and know hundreds of people who have had children here, and the few who gave their child the unmarried fathers last name lied and said they were married.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

To Marcia:

I stated my thoughts on this quite a while ago. You may find it on page five.

You even answered this reply.
    As far as the civil law, if you'd like to apply it in the manner of laws not relating to the San Hedrin, was it not unlawful, and worthy of death, for one to claim they were a higher authority than Caesar?

To Frenchy: You managed to make more posts!
    [​IMG]

To Blackbird:
    I don't believe it is. I believe the sin here would be that the couple does not realize the seriousness of what they have done. In their own eyes they are fornicating, as they have not accepted the responsibilities that come with their actions. This is the type of behavior which I feel is a good description of having thought a sin and committed it, even if it has not actually been committed.

To Aaron: I think you're expressing my thoughts, but doing it better than I am. Keep talking! [​IMG]

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I cannot believe that Christians would suggest that living together is to be condoned as not being sin, and that comes from Kentucky.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm with you, Brother!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jeremiah says that there are those who do not blush over sin!

15. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

wow another thing Brother Bob and I agree upon are there more days to come I sure hope so [​IMG]

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm with you, Brother!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jeremiah says that there are those who do not blush over sin!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Isaiah 5:20: Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

It works both ways Blackbird, but I will not and do not accuse you of calling good evil.

I believe you are mistaken concerning this issue, but not intentionally calling good evil anymore than I intend, am attempting, or have purposed in my heart to change evil to good.

It's a strong accusation. If you're going to level it, I ask that you do so clearly. I'd like to know when I am being accused of such a serious charge.

You have every right to believe that is the case, I simply ask that you be clear if you are referring to me.

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Frenchy and Gina:

I have just had to edit posts from each of you for making personal attacks against the other. This is not the first time you both have gone after one another in this manner. It is getting a bit old. Please give it a rest. BB posting rule 3 requires you to show grace to your fellow posters and rule 4 prohibits making personal attacks. Consider this your offical warning. Please take more care as you post in the future.

Yours in Christ,

Bible-Boy,
    Forum Moderator

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ah shucks. I was hoping it would be at least 24 more hours until someone complained.

19. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Actually, no one complained about your post. I just noticed it as I was checking the thread because I had received a complaint about another post/poster. We must be fair and even handed ya know. ;)

20. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I've gotten complaints Bible boy about Gina's and Donna's constant attacks on me. I was called a troll among being accsued of not being who i say i am. all personal attacks. I believe i pmed you about them. show me where i have said anything wrong please?