1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What day is the Lord's Day according to Scripture?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Apr 19, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Any ideas?:smilewinkgrin:

:godisgood:

in Christ,

Bob

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. Psalm 118:24 gives me the idea that it's every day.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But in Rev 1 - John says "I was in the Spirit on The Lord's Day" was - that his way of saying "I was in the Spirit every day"?

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could have been.

5. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

REV.1 [7] Behold, HE COMETH WITH CLOUDS; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of THE EARTH SHALL WAIL because of him. Even so, Amen.[8] I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.[9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.[10] I was in the Spirit on THE LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a GREAT VOICE, as of A TRUMPET,

he cometh with clouds - of a trumpet - the Lord's day - a great voice - the earth shall wail

ZEPH.1 [14] The great DAY OF THE LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even THE VOICE of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall CRY THERE BITTERLY.[15] That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a DAY OF CLOUDS and thick darkness,[16] A day of THE TRUMPET and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers

a day of clouds - of the trumpet - The great day of the LORD - even the voice - man shall cry there bitterly

The Lords day is the Day of the Lord

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When he comes back. Or his second advent. However, you want to put it. :smilewinkgrin:
    Or did you mean the Sabbath? Or did you mean his resurrection?

7. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I think it could best be described as the day we remember the Lord's resurrection. Which can be (should be?) everyday. Ultimately the fulfillment of the OT sabbath is Christ Himself and the rest we find in Him.

Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Romans 14:5-6a One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

Colossians 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body (substance) is of Christ.

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lord's Day means the Day of Jehovah as Jehovah in OT has been translated to Lord in NT all the time.
    Day of Jehovah was Sabbath day.

But I believe Romans 14:1-5.

However again, until 4th century most of the Churches gathered together on Sabbath Day, until Constantine and Laodicean Council in 364.

There existed millions of Christian believers before Ellen White who gathered together on Sabbath Day throughout the centuries.

I don't believe that Christians will go to the Hell because they worshipped Him on Sundays. It can be one factor of many issues.

This is not a matter of SDA only but also of Messianic Jews.

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Messianic Jews interpret this verse as saying that Sabbath must be kept without controversy.

It was not necessary to mention that Sabbath should be kept, because it was emphasized in OT times so many times, which is what they say.

The important thing is that RCC proudly say that it was RCC that changed the Worship service day from Sabbath to Sunday, by taking the authority of the church.

We read Dan 7:25 which says the Anti -Christ is changing the times.
    Anti-Christ is quite interested in changing Times ( from Sabbath to Day of Sun god!)

But I don't consider this matter as critical to the faith. To me, 7 days a week are Sabbath, resting in the Lord Jesus.

Throughout my life time, all the days will be Sabbath as Lord yeshuah will work inside me.

Everyday, every hour, I adore and worship my Lord Yeshuah Ha-Mashiach! who purchased me with His precious Blood!

#9 Eliyahu, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  10. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

If that's their interpretation then they need to look at the context again. Paul is clearly saying that it doesn't matter since Christ Himself is the fulfillment. The OT Sabbath was a picture, Jesus is the substance.

I'm not 100% convinced that passage is speaking of the anti-christ but it could be. Regardless I would disagree with the RCC claim that they changed the day of worship. Paul plainly said it doesn't matter on what day you worship.

:thumbsup: Curious though - Are you Messianic Jew? Just asking because of your use of Hebrew.

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have very good fellowship with Messianic Jews and Plymouth Brethren.
    They differ each other, but for NT teachings PB is faithful while Messianic are very good at OT.

Messianic study on OT is often far above what we can fathom.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&qpvt=jim+staley+truth+or+tradition&FORM=VDRE

I am sure they will never change Sabbath worship to Sunday worship until Messiah comes, and even after His coming the Torah will be the Law ( Micah 4:2) and all the people of the world will worship the Lord on the Sabbath day again ( Isaiah 66:23)

I do know what you pointed out as I am a PB.

12. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'm sure it is, because from what i understand they are still trying to do a lot of things in an OT fashion.

I would very much disagree that the OT Law (ceremonial and all) will be taught during the Millennial Reign (I'm assuming that's what you are referring to here) The Law has been done away with for the believer. The 10 commandments, while they are good and an expression of God's unchanging holiness, are not for the believer. We follow the law of Christ, a higher law, and are not bound to legalism and neither will we ever be in the ages to come.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Psalm 118:24 gives me, just the opposite idea, that "IT IS THE DAY THE LORD HAS MADE ..." has “made” VICTORY, “TRIUMPHED IN IT”, has REDEEMED us, “FINISHED” SALVATION, "WROUGHT / ACCOMPLISHED THE EXCEEDING GREATNESS OF HIS POWER WHEN HE RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD … THIS IS THE LORD’S DOING / ACCOMPLISHMENT…”: “THEREFORE” : “we WILL rejoice IN IT and be glad IN IT.” “THIS IS THE DAY … SAVE NOW O LORD, I beseech Thee; O LORD, NOW [THIS DAY], I beseech Thee, send PROSPERITY.”—“PROSPERITY” into eternity of the Day You O LORD have “MADE”—“made” “WHEN GOD RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD”, “BY THE GLORY OF THE FATHER”, “AND GOD FROM ALL HIS WORKS, RESTED.”

What other “Day” than “the day the Seventh Day SABBATH-DAY-OF-THE-LORD-GOD’S” rejoicing and gladness in “REST” is “The Lord’s Day”? “For God thus concerning the Seventh Day spake, And God the day the Seventh Day from all his works / availing / accomplishment, RESTED”—“rested” in Holy Honour of His Heavenly Majesty.
    THUS was CHRIST, CROWNED WITH LORDSHIP, and received the DAY of his attainment of Lordship, TITLE OF “THE LORD’S DAY”.

14. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus has already disagreed with you since He said ;

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

This means that if the Law has been fulfilled, it can pass away!

So, the sacrificial law has been accomplished by the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ at the Cross. Therefore the Sacrificial Law has passed away.

However, the moral law like Thou salt not kill or Thou shalt not commit adultery are still effective.

Do you ignore them?

I don't !

Mt 5:

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them,the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven

Jesus knew that there will be many Christian believers who will go to the Kingdom of Heaven but ignore the Law, and therefore He said such people will be called < the least> in the Heaven.

Law is not abolished and will not be abolished until the Lord comes.

Only the Sacrificial Law was accomplished already and therefore it is abolished.

But the Moral Law such as Telling lies, Adultery, Murder, Idolatry, Stealing, are still prohibited.

Many of the Criminal Administrative Law are postponed to be effective in the New Millennium.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shaking my head - What in the world are you talking about. Where did you ever get this idea from? NO reasonable person would come to the conclusion that this is what that means. That idea is so far out of left field no one can see where it came from.

16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got it from the Bible, Sir!

Matthew 5

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Don't shake your head to Jesus Christ! I didn't invent those words but Jesus said them!

#16 Eliyahu, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. Psalm 118:24 gives me the idea that it's every day.

Okay. Every day or no day. Take our jolly rest.

18. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Not even close. First, contrary to covenant theology, there is no tripartite division of the law - Moral, Ceremonial, and Civil - The Law is the Law.

And Jesus has already fulfilled the law. That's one reason he came. That is why the believer during this New Covenant era is not under the Old Testament Law. Of course that doesn't mean we are free to murder, lie or fornicate to satisfy our flesh, instead we have a higher law,the Law of Christ where we are to Love God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength and love our neighbor as our self. because "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matt 22:40

Again, OT law was a shadow of the things to come in the New Covenant with Christ:

Romans 10:4 - For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Colossians 2:17 - Which are a shadow of things to come (The OT laws and feasts); but the body (substance) is of Christ.

Hebrews 8:13 - In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Christ coming and establishing the New Covenant made the previous Covenant Old and it (the Old Covenant/Law) has vanished away!

Hebrews 10:1,9 - For the law (the whole law, not just ceremonial and civil) having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect...Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

The first covenant/law must have been done away with so that Christ could establish the second covenant/law.

This is not to say that the Law has been abolished, but it has been fulfilled in Christ! He perfectly fulfilled the Law in our place and because of that God has removed the OT Law for the believer. Now, after regeneration, we have new hearts and the Spirit inside us and are commanded to obey a higher law.

19. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Many misunderstand in that way, no surprise to me as I thought so before the long time fellowship with Messianic.

This is why there will be continuous disagreement between Messianic Jews and other Christians, and the Jews will be the centre of the new Millennium ( Zech 14:16-)

Romans 10:4 The Law was not ended without being accomplished because Telos means the End attained, or Consummation. In other words, Jesus Christ is the accomplishment of the Law, not the abolishment without fulfillment. Otherwise, why the Holy Spirit fulfills the righteousness of the Law within us( Ro 8:4) ?

Col 2:17 doesn't say that the Law was abolished. When the HS dwells within the believers, He wants to achieve the moral law more clearly.

Hebrew 8:13 You must distinguish between the Law,Torah and Covenant, Brith.

Covenant was broken, not because it was defective but because one of the 2 parties, human beings failed to keep the covenant. However, the Law itself is holy, but human beings couldn't keep it, and the Law itself couldn't rescue the human race. That is why Jesus came. Even during the OT times, there were animal sacrifice which helped the people who couldn't keep the law, which was the shadow of Jesus Sacrifice.

As for this issue, I recommend you the following by Spurgeon:

http://www.angelfire.com/va/sovereigngrace/perpetuity.spurgeon.html

20. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

The Law WAS accomplished! In Christ! Christ fulfilled all the law, and that is our basis of righteousness. Christ was faithful to that law, fulfilled it perfectly and no we are credited Christ's righteousness. All of the law was just a hadow pointing to the glorious work that would be done in Christ. The law has no salvific value. It CANNOT save in anyway, so why would God ever revert back to a lesser Covenant or a lesser law?

The OT Law was the Mosaic Covenant. So to say that we must distinguish between Covenant and Law in Hebrews makes no sense.