1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What denomination would you be?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Dec 14, 2006.

?
  1. Assembly of God

8.2%
  2. Baptist

14.8%
  3. Catholic or Orthodox

8.2%
  4. Church of Christ

1.6%
  5. Episcopal or Anglican

9.8%
  6. Lutheran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Methodist

6.6%
  8. Presbyterian or Reformed

23.0%
  9. A denomination not listed

23.0%
  10. I would stay at home instead

4.9%
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or should this go to another thread? I don't think the subject deserves a thread on its own though.

2. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Long story short, when I finally got it that dispensationalism and pentecostalism were errors, everything changed, I had a theological overhaul. I never really suscribed to those things, but that's what I was being fed. I was a newborn infant in Christ, I was all over the place. I was hungry for truth and I was searching. In fact, if you search hard enough, you can find my dispy-period posts in the Baptist-only part of the board. Somewhere during that time, I first heard of predestination on the rapture ready bulletin board, of all places.

That and Dan Corner's Pelagian rantings on his web site got me to studying Calvinism and Arminianism. Also the fear of having committed blasphemy of the Holy Ghost (that was a dismal and drawn out period), moved me to really study it. So after reading all that in the Bible, finally realizing that I hadn't, then I became very interested in the issue. Basically, my theology was changing at a decent rate. I mean, one after another, my old beliefs were proven wrong and cast away. Some easier than others. I went on a 6 month hiatus from BB and started going to a Presby church. I consequently fully embraced Calvinism, renouced my UPC baptism, gradually being Biblically convinced of Reformed theology, and it just so happens that the last holdout from my free-will Baptist days (full emmersion credobaptism, multiple baptisms) is what I'm searching out now.

It's not that I wanted to get away from Baptist beliefs, it's just all this study is convincing me more and more that it's not fully consistant or exactly correct. The proof is in Scripture. That's why I'm a Calvinist Presbyterian Amillenial as opposed to a free-will Baptist dispensational charismatic.

As the old saying goes, I'm Reformed, and always reforming.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

P.S. I said it before but it bears repeating. Baptist Board, among other things, got me to studying, so that in effect, I became a Presbyterian because of the Baptist Board. Go figure. ( I really believe it was God's grace though.)

#82 Dustin, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I notice that there are a number of Calvinist baptists on this board. And while I find that the Calvinist position is refuted by God's Word -- still I find it hard to believe that one has to give up on the Bible teaching of Baptism of believers as seen in Romans 10 and 1Peter 3 in order to be a Calvinist. It seems to be that you can easily be a Baptist AND be a Calvinist.

I also do not see where you came across any proof that the 1000 years listed in Rev 20 is not true.

In Christ,

Bob

4. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I could not attend my denomination, I probably not attend any other........OR maybe I would very occasionally

5. Dustin

Dustin New Member

\

For those who'd rather stay home, how would you truly fellowship and take the Lord's Supper, and hear the Word preached? How would you be discipled?

Sol Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Amen, brother! Christ be with you!

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

A formidable challenge only those really faced by it know how formidable.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There's nothing as victorious sounding as a good, pure, tenor's high C. That's how I now feel after having read Dustin's post.

God saw fit to give His Church - besides (or after) its Essence and Object of Faith Jesus Christ the Lord - two things whereby it shall live in "the Body of Christ's own" (Eph2:17), the Lord's Day and the Lord's Supper. Without these there cannot be Congregation, and without Congregation, there cannot be all the life of the Body - no Preaching, no Proclamation, no Worship, no Praises, no Prayers, no Charity, in short, no Feast of the Lord's Victory (Eph2:15-16). These two gifts are the only two essentials after the Essence, "The Head, from which all the Body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God". (How beautiful are thy ways, o Lord!)

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is more about not getting involved in debate over theolgy ( I loathe arguments). I have met some truely wonderful folk from other denominations but their theology is very different .....

10. Dustin

Dustin New Member

It's a hermanuetical issue. How you read the Bible has a lot to do with what you think it says.

I didn't have to give up being a Baptist to become a Calvinist. Indeed, it is very possible for one to be a Baptist and a Calvinist. After I was firmly and Biblically convinced on soteriology, I just moved on to different aspects of theology. I just read the Bible more and learned more. That's why I'm not Baptist anymore. I don't have anything against Baptists, I'm just convinced that some traditional Baptist doctrine and practice doesn't fit well with Scripture. Church order is probably the biggest issue, aside from some doctrinal aspects that were taught in my old Baptist church.

Now I must give credit, not ALL Baptists are of the free-will "walk the aisle to make a decision" types, but there's a lot of that going around.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

#90 Dustin, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  11. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

My family is part of a house church with some other families in our area. We have more TRUE fellowship than we did at the church we were working at before, we observe the Lord's Supper every week, have in depth Bible studies and have learned what one on one discipleship and accountability is all about.

12. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I didn't really think about house churches, but if you're in one that faithfully expounds God's word, administers the Lord's Supper, and practices biblical discipline then that is great.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Watch this new thread, 'Not defiled with women ....'