1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What did Arminius say about losing one's salvation?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, May 2, 2003.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

V. THE PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS

My sentiments respecting the perseverance of the saints are, that those persons who have been grafted into Christ by true faith, and have thus been made partakers of his life-giving Spirit, possess sufficient powers [or strength] to fight against Satan, sin, the world and their own flesh, and to gain the victory over these enemies — yet not without the assistance of the grace of the same Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ also by his Spirit assists them in all their temptations, and affords them the ready aid of his hand; and, provided they stand prepared for the battle, implore his help, and be not wanting to themselves, Christ preserves them from falling. So that it is not possible for them, by any of the cunning craftiness or power of Satan, to be either seduced or dragged out of the hands of Christ. But I think it is useful and will be quite necessary in our first convention, [or Synod] to institute a diligent inquiry from the Scriptures, whether it is not possible for some individuals through negligence to desert the commencement of their existence in Christ, to cleave again to the present evil world, to decline from the sound doctrine which was once delivered to them, to lose a good conscience, and to cause Divine grace to be ineffectual. Though I here openly and ingenuously affirm, I never taught that a true believer can, either totally or finally fall away from the faith, and perish; yet I will not conceal, that there are passages of scripture which seem to me to wear this aspect; and those answers to them which I have been permitted to see, are not of such a kind as to approve themselves on all points to my understanding. On the other hand, certain passages are produced for the contrary doctrine [of unconditional perseverance] which are worthy of much consideration.

--- James Arminius

I think that it is interesting that he knew what he believed, but admitted that there were Scriptures that should be examined more closely just to make sure. He NEVER taught that it was possible for a person to lose their salvation.

2. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Scott; [​IMG]
    This is an act of a man who is humble enough to admit that he can be mistaken about things. We should all allow room for correction from God. To state that we 100 % correct about anything can get us all in a lot of trouble.
    Good Post.
    Romanbear [​IMG]

3. William C

William C New Member

Well, what do you know. Someone besides me is actually reading Arminus! Yeah!!!

I have been saying that since I came on this post and have been ridiculed as "paddling out away from the mainstream," and "not having any scholarly backing."

I've been teaching pure Arminianism since I got here and the Calvinists all thought I was teaching some new teachings.

I wondered how long it would be until someone started posting Arminius' actual words to show how far off base the Calvinistic straw men really are. I didn't want to do it because I like to watch the Calvinists on this board accuse me of coming up with new stuff. It makes me laugh. [​IMG]

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My fellow Arminans -- nice to see you all in one place!

For my part, I am glad that Arminius felt free to express the fact that scripture does appear to show "salvation lost". But that it clearly does not show "Satan smarter than God and able by force or by deception to take God's own elect away". However Arminius seems to admit that just as Adam was able to choose rebellion - so might the saved after the fall.

I am of the POV that free will (consistently applied) always allows for that. Our Calvinist bretheren often point out that OSAS is not consistent with Free Will and I have to agree with them.

Matt 18's "forgiveness revoked" scenario and Luke 8:4-14 examples of the rocky and thorny ground are examples of life ended, and forgiveness revoked.

In Christ,

Bob