1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Did the GOP "Win" in the Budget/Spending Deal?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Dec 18, 2015.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question: What did the GOP get that Democrats opposed in the recent budget deal?

Answer: A lift on the 35 year old ban on oil exports. U.S. oil producers may now export all forms of crude oil. Is that really a win though? It looks like pandering to their financial contributors and lobbyists.

Answer: Held off on a financial aid package for Puerto Rico that Democrats favored. Looks like the Republicans will give in my the end of March, though. They also blocked a plan by Democrats to allow Puerto Rico to declare bankruptcy.

Answer: Stopped Nancy Pelosi from ending a ban on government research on gun violence. Pelosi wanted to fund a government research program to probe gun violence. Republicans turned aside her effort.

Question: What did the Democrats get in the recent budget deal?

Answer: By agreeing to the oil export rider, Democrats insisted that Republican's extend tax credits for things like wind and solar energy.

Planned Parenthood is fully funded.

Sanctuary Cities are fully funded.

No restrictions on Syrian refugees.

Child Tax Credit. Program allows for cash payments to low income families amounting to 15% of their earnings above $3,000. So if a single mother earned $18,000 last year she would get a cash payment of 15% of $15,000, or $2,250.

New EPA rules on US waterways will take effect that were opposed by farmers, ranchers, and businesses.

Speaking of the EPA, the Republicans failed to stop implementation of Obama's new rules on power plant emissions.

Democrats blocked all attempts by Republicans to repeal parts of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform bill.

Republicans failed to add riders to the bill that would affect Obama's executive orders allowing up to 6 million illegal aliens to escape prosecution.

Take a look at this list and tell me who won? Now ask yourself--who won the congressional elections of 2014? Who controls the House and the Senate? Why, that would be the Republicans. Yet, they just gave the Democrats almost everything they wanted. What's the point of winning Congress if you're going to lose at the negotiating table? This is an outrage.

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer: The continued ire of their supposed base.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a year ago they won the Senate and increased their stature in the House. Then, instead of passing a continuing resolution on spending to keep the government running a few weeks to get into January, seat the new Congress and THEN pass a spending bill, they make a lousy agreement in December 2014. Here we are a year later and this time they are all seated and we still get a lousy agreement.

Somebody tell me why I should vote Republican?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish that there existed a viable, organized, conservative Third Party.

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that a third party would work. It will have to start within the party, and start making incumbents more worried about losing their primaries than losing their general elections. The Tea Party came close before it lost steam.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is it you believe your options are?

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently my only option is not voting.

Tell me what Republicans have done for me the past two years? Have they done anything that they ran on in 2014? Repealing Obamacare? Stopping his executive orders on immigration? Name some things they've accomplished to push back on Obama and/or advance their own agenda?

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can tell you what Ted Cruz has tried to do in the face of much adversity

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is!

;) Ben Carson:

I have been working tirelessly to spread my message that the time is NOW for We The People to take our country back. The message is spreading fast but please know the Power Class is fighting back.

You need no further proof than what the GOP Leadership did to us in the new spending bill. Billions of new unfunded spending. Mountains of new debt. Not to mention funding to bring Syrian Refugees into our country and to keep funding for Planned Parenthood.

I am angry but no longer shocked. Some of my colleagues running for President talk a big game. They give angry speeches but when the votes were counted none of them even tried to stop this deal. They take their special interest money, collect their paychecks and pensions and give us only rhetoric.

Yes, it makes me angry.

The Powerful will continue to stomp on the powerless until we RISE UP together.

Our country has only years left before we drown in our own pool of debt. Debt incurred by the powerful to be paid by the powerless.

No Member of Congress should dare ask for a pension let alone receive one until the debts of their irresponsibility have been paid. Our grandchildren will be left with these outrageous bills.

Someday when your grandchildren ask you why America failed, you can point to this week. You can tell them it was because our leaders were afraid to do what was right because it was difficult.

We have but one last best chance. I promise to work even harder. But without joining hands it simply cannot be done. We must all do things we have never done before.

Think of our ancestors. Those brave men and women who fought for our country across oceans to keep us free. Many gave their all. But all gave more than they thought possible.

Now it is our turn. This is our time, our battle. Our country's future rests on our determination and dedication. History will judge us.

What will you do? How much can you help? What are you willing to sacrifice?

Join Me. Sound the Alarm!

Ben

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Sounds like Ben Carson is saying the banks and corporations run the country. So what's his solution?

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This is why folks are leaving both parties.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

To talk big in docile tones as he looks at us with half closed eyes. He doesn't have any solutions. He's on a book tour.

13. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me you are trying to convince the American people that Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same, which is common knowledge. A majority of the electorate are very angry at both parties. If someone could tap that anger in a constructive way, they could win a substantial majority. This is why Trump leads the pack of the GOP choices. Of course, if Mr. Trump did make it to the White House, he would quickly find out you cannot go to Congress and say "you are fired."

Regardless of what anyone says, there is a better mix of GOP candidates this time than since Reagan. Look at our nominees since Reagan, Bush, Dole, Bush, McCain, and Romney. They might as well have been Democrats. The last one belonged to a cult. There are several better choices than that. However, if we do not get out and work for conservative candidates, you are going to end up with a Bush-Clinton election. No one wants that choice.