1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do my fellow Baptists think of this Pentecostalism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alive in Christ, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I have some good preacher friends who are Assembly of God. I appreciate their hearts but I must say that I don't anticipate a great revival coming from the Pentecostals. They emphasize experience over truth and logic. They deal with the emotions of man rather than his mind. They exalt experience over the knowledge of Christ. And their spiritual roots are located in the heretical Montanists and Sybellianists (sp?).

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Similar with me. I don't know that particular hymn, but I do know Albert Midlane's hymn, Revive Thy Work O Lord. The final verse goes:

"Revive Thy work, O Lord!
    Give Pentecostal showers!
    Be Thine the glory, Thine alone!
    The blessing, Lord, be ours!"

When I sing it, I don't think of a denomination. After all, "Pentecostal" is just the adjective from the noun "Pentecost".

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true. In fact, these songs were probably written before there was a Pentecostal movement! That movement dates its beginning to the Azuza Street Revival of 1906-1908.