1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do these men have in common?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Plain Old Bill, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

:wavey: All of these men claim to be Calvinists...what else do they have in common?
    Chafer,Walvoord,Bancroft,Ryrie,Hodge &Giesler:thumbs:

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

They're all male?

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

They all have both vowels and consonants on their names?

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

They all were seminary teachers, maybe, although I'm not familiar with Bancroft.

However considering the list you give, do you mean Hodge or Hodges?

Ed

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have all written commentaries?

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

who is bancroft?

All the others had doctor of divinity and PHd's. In fact all of them had at least 4 dr degrees.

Giesler and Ryrie were not the best of friends.

Chafer, Walvoord and Ryrie had ties to Dallas Theological Seminary.

Ryrie and Chafer went to Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary

All of them wrote books....not just one.

Chafer's Systematic Theology
    Ryrie's Basic Theology
    Norm Geisler's Systematic Theology
    No systematic theology for Walvoord...but a well known "The Bible Knowledge Commentary"
    of course...Hodge Systematic Theology

Some were Premillennialism and others were postmill

how about..... dispensationalism? :)

7. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure about Emery Bancroft, but all the others are Calvinists that disagree with the strict 5-pointers.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually both Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer and his brother, Dr. Rollin T. Chafer, who were both associated with Dallas Theological Seminary, were in glory long before Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary was ever even envisioned, to set the record straight. And FTR, one name the OP is intending is Geisler, not Giesler, as well as Hodges, not Hodge maybe, I believe, but Language Cop was asleep at the wheel and missed the first one.

Ed

#8 EdSutton, Jun 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  9. Plain Old Bill

I know what ya mean Ed I been stuck with that ib4 e except after c thing since the 3rd grade so It's automatic for me which means I burn myself from time to time.

I think our friend is thinking of Francis Schaefer the Christian philosopher who had
    ties with Jerry Falwell.:godisgood: In the meantime I'll let you guys work on figuring out the answer until tomorrow afternoon.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You mean the late Francis Schaeffer, I believe, again. But I don't think he had any formal ties with Liberty Seminary, either (although he did with both Covenant and Westminster), but I could be mistaken on this one.

Oh yeah, I think I know where you are trying to be heading, but I'll save it for now.

Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hey, I just got it! Their names are all frequently misspelled! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

12. Plain Old Bill

Yeah Francis Schaefer had no official ties with Liberty that I recall either. I was in fact speaking of the Chafer that started DTS.:godisgood:

13. Predestined

Predestined Member

Jesus :jesus:

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emery Bancroft, founder of Baptist Bible Seminary, wrote Christian Theology, Systematic and Biblical.
    Ryrie's Basic Theology is subtitled A Popular Systematic Guide to Understanding Biblical Truth.
    Walvoord edited an abridged version of Chafer's Systematic Theology.

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think they're all dispy or historic premil. I have Bancroft's systematic. It's frequently been labeled a non-cal systematic, but he clearly espouses unconditional election. And I'm pretty sure he teaches limited atonement, but would have to double-check that.

16. Plain Old Bill

I apologize for being late. I guess that's part of what hyper-somnia is all about. Anyhow the answer is they were all free will in terms of comming to salvation. They did not believe in irresistable grace.:godisgood:

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Bill,

This is the only "point" that can not be proved by logic, nor can it be disproved by logic.

the reason...total depravity

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

From Bancroft's "Elemental Theology", Chapter 7, page 198:

"Men are born again of God. God sovereignly interposes. Something is infused. In the salvation of every person there is an actual putting forth of divine power whereby the dead sinner is quickened - the unwilling sinner is made willing - the desperately hard sinner has his conscience made tender, and he who rejected God and despised the Gospel offer is brought to cast himself down at the feet of Jesus."

Doesn't that describe Irresistable Grace?

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The kind of Calvinists they are must be clarified. They are hardly Calvinists in the true sense of the word.

A different species I say.

20. Plain Old Bill

No.I can tell you from personal experience. I would go to church and the preacher would literally break my little teeny bopper heart,bring me to tears, I would be holding on to the pew rail in front of me so hard I am surprised I did'nt poke a hole right through it. Did I get saved even though I was under very severe conviction.Answer sad to say was no.:BangHead: I wanted to have my fun,you know do the stuff I thought was cool.I went to Methodist,AoG,Pentecostal,Baptist,and Bible churches hearing good sound Bible teaching and preaching,comming under severe conviction over and over. Did I get saved ? No.:BangHead: I became a very depraved person steeped in deep sin in many ways I don't even care to talk about. I became an athiest of sorts. One of my great entertainments was ridiculing Christians who tried to witness to me.
    Now go to pg277 para2b in Bancroft's Elemental theology and quote that.:BangHead: