1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do we really mean when we say we're Biblical?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Dr.Day

Dr.Day New Member

2. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

OK then we shall agree to disagree, don't mean to sound patronizng. I apologise if I come across that way but you on the other mind seem quite narrow minded...not being critical just being observant, I've answered all your points you raised and yet instead of debating or proving I'm incorrect, which is the point of the forum you simply make an obtuse statement like.."I disagree", I mean that fact is obvious, but you present no substantial reasons for your thinking.
    Thinking you are correct and havig reason to be correct are not the same thing.

Anyway, despite all that, I respect your right to think as you like and appreciate your comments and input. I look forward to interacting more with you.

3. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Saturn, youraise an interesting point...IS WHAT IS SEEN AS BIBLICAL OR NOT REALLY JUST A MATTER OF PERSONAL OPINION? Do you really think that?

4. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Saturn, you raise an interesting point...IS WHAT IS SEEN AS BIBLICAL OR NOT REALLY JUST A MATTER OF PERSONAL OPINION? Do you really think that?

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, not all things are opinion. The Gospel is not opinion. The Ressurection is not opinion, etc. However, topics like "what is Biblical" is opinion, as we have seen about a dozen here alone. Opinions are fine. They are not essential to salvation. The problem comes in when individuals mix up their opinion to evolve into Biblical truth, thereby not respecting any other opinions.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Cat got your tongue?

7. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Saturn, you raise an interesting point...IS WHAT IS SEEN AS BIBLICAL OR NOT REALLY JUST A MATTER OF PERSONAL OPINION? Do you really think that?

If that is true then we are saying that none of us do or can know for sure what the Bible teaches about anything....what would be the point then?

8. Victorious

Victorious Member

When I say I disagree and prefer to leave it at that, it's because there is no debate as far as I'm concerned. I am convinced that there is no debate - only an argument, and I feel I've made my point scripturally. Obviously, you seem to want to prove your point also, so any further interaction with you on this topic will not be edifying. We are obviously on two different planets.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is the same post as above, and thought I answered it. Most of the Bible deals with the work of Jesus Christ, or preparing the world for His birth. There is no opinion in that. If you read the start of the thread, there are at least 4 catagories of opinion as to what is Biblical in relation to a worship service. All four opinions are based on the way someone reads the Bible. This is one reason there are so many denominations.

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Using the standards of the OP, my church shouldnt have had that excellent pot luck dinner last Saturday night. :eek:

Seriously, doesnt common sense play a role in this? Didnt God give us a mind? Thinking is not unbiblical, else we would not be able to "rightly divide" the Word of God.

To me, the line is drawn when we add to or take away from the workings of the Holy Spirit. For instance, "being slain in the Spirit" is a totally man-made practice that credits the Holy Spirit for some silly thing that He had nothing to do with. This is what I would call unbiblical.

Changing the Gospel of Christ to include baptism or church sacraments as a requirement for salvation...this is unbiblical.

There are some things that probably fall under the opinion category, like music. Personally, I think it is wrong for the church to copy the world when it comes to music. I know of a church in Oklahoma that has a grundge band for their worship service. The congregation doesnt participate in the singing at all, it is more or less a hard rock/grundge concert. The Bible doesnt address hard rock directly, but it does teach us to be seperate from the world, therefore copying the worldly music, to me is wrong.

Having said that, let me say further that this is my understanding that I get from my reading of scripture. If you want to have a grundge band perform in every worship service, then by all means, go ahead. If you want to have no instruments at all, then by all means go ahead. This is why there are more than one church in most towns.

What about every day activities? I love college football (Go Hogs) but college football is not mentioned in the Bible. Does that make it wrong? Is college footbal unbiblical because it is not mentioned?

My point is simply this, that God gave us some basic guidelines in the Bible to live by, and He gave us a mind to help us to "rightly divide" how to apply those guidelines in our lives, and in our churches.

It seems to me that a large number of churches are trying too hard to make church fun and entertaining, and are constantly trying to defend their frolic as being ok to do since it isnt specifically forbidden in scripture. (Saddlebacks "night club" themed worship service comes to mind).

I would suggest that we need to reevaluate the purpose and mission of ministry. Is it to entertain us? Or to honor God?

AJ

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

OnlyByGrace,

I think I understand where you are coming from. Why do we use one scripture to support what we believe while dismissing other that contradict our positions in similar areas? Your examples from the music topics are spot on. I claim there is no authority for one stance but ignor the fact that there is no authority for others that I choose to practice. You even do this yourself in stating that there are no instructions for music in the NT but use OT scripture to support that the children should be taught in the family.

Are the areas you chose to question such as SS, meetings, buildings, membership, Biblical? This is something we all should answer. Victoriuos has answered with scripture to support her stance. It is obvious she has given this area thought and prayerful consideration and choosen her position.

I am convinced that most if not all areas you question are Biblical. Not because it says in 1st GG 1:1 "Thou shall have Sunday School", but because of the principles in scripture that we are to teach and make disciples. The Bible does not spell out specific of how to do so. Too often mankind desires to make the Bible into a rule book of what we can and cannot do. This makes it easy for our feeble minds to understand. However, it is a spiritual book that we must apply to our souls, hearts, and minds. It survives from culture to culture. God knew what he was doing when he wrote it. He never told us to wear robes and sandals. He never told us to wear suits and ties. He never said to wear a dress or slack or jeans. he said to dress modestly. Women should look like women and men should look like men. How this is done changes from culture to culture. The Bible addresses each with it simplicity.

I too am influenced by my opinions. But I try my best to keep the influence minimal. I do not like the Bibker churches and dress down attitudes of many modern churches. The music of many are too modern or too old fashioned for my taste. But if souls are won for Christ, who am I to condem them as unbiblical?

12. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

I too am influenced by my opinions. But I try my best to keep the influence minimal. I do not like the Bibker churches and dress down attitudes of many modern churches. The music of many are too modern or too old fashioned for my taste. But if souls are won for Christ, who am I to condem them as unbiblical?

I agree with you. I only used the issues of church buildings, etc as examples of things that we feel strongly about but don't necessary have absolute biblical proof for. I am not attacking those things or the use of them, I am trying to say that we tend to be hypocritical when we single out certain issues like music, or tongues or dress codes and critically blow them out of proportion under the banner of being unbiblical. But if the truth be told we all have similar practices that we cannot find absolute scriptural proof for.
    So although we may not like what other believers do sometimes and we may disagree with how they do things we should not be hasty to condemn them as unbiblical. We throw that term around too loosely.

I think that what you say about doing things because they are in harmony with the principles and spirit of the word is correct. It is a well balanced approach. And at the end of the day if Christ is preached and people come to know Him then what more matters.

I have very godly sincere charismatic friends who are on fire for Christ. They are passionate about there faith and really care for people. They challenge me in my walk with the Lord. I may not agree with their views on prophecy and tongues but I will never call them unbiblical before I've sorted out al the unbiblical things I do for the sake of expediency. We need to seperate the person from the practice.

13. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

I'm sorry you feel that way Victorious, I assure you I have no point to prove, I'm only searching for answers. I sense you are offended. if I have offended you in some way, it has not been my intention,but if I have then I accept responsibility for my actions and humbly apologise.

Be blessed in everyting you put your hand to.

14. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I think that if you look up unbiblical in the original language it means,
    Just Kiddin:D

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ha! :laugh:

Good one!

16. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

C4!

Been a long time.

Biblical would have to mean that all of the doctrinal teachings of the church are consistent with a literal historical grammatical hermeneutic. Seems like I used to use another word in that description as well?

Really like the quote by Walter A! Very true.

17. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

rjPrince said:

Biblical would have to mean that all of the doctrinal teachings of the church are consistent with a literal historical grammatical hermeneutic. Seems like I used to use another word in that description as well?

It might be cultural. But as gospelgeek pointed out, there are things we do that either not incontravention of the scriptures or are in harmony with the principles of scripture. It is in thses areas that we tend to disagree about what is biblical or not.
    The other thing I want to point out is that when we use the word doctrine we tend to straightway think of the cardinals of the faith or the formalised body of truth we find in our statements of belief. But the Bible teaches that all scripture is given by inspiration of God and profitable for doctrine(teaching). What I understand that to mean is that all the things God has sovereignly chosen to include in scripture(In the Bible) are a suitable basis for formulating doctrine, not just the things plainly stated as doctrine in the Pauline epistles. So the example of the New testament church, its attitudes and practices, values and goals, all things, can be a basis for doctrine. That verse in 2 timothy 3:16 does not specify the NT only or after the book of acts, etc it says all scripture and that literally means all that has been written down and passed the canonical tests.

18. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

If it is an area that Scripture does not address, it is neither Biblical nor unbiblical, it is abiblical. There may be principles that address the spirit of the matter, but that always gets down to a matter of application. If there is disagreement in these areas it is a matter of opinion, not a matter of biblical or not.

Doctrine = teaching (Matt 6:2; 7:28 - didaskw/didakh or Strongs 1321/1322)

so yes, all the teachings of Scripture matter, but they must be viewed in context, immediate, near, and far.

Adam and Eve were told to eat vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Noah, after the flood was told to eat. After the Exodus, the Jews were told not to eat certain animals and fish because they were considered unclean. Jesus told Peter to rise, kill, and eat things that had previously been considered unclean. At the Jerusalem council, the only limitations on what could be eaten was things strangled and blood (Gen 1:29,30; 9:3; Lev 11; Acts 10; 15).

So what is Biblical to eat? Depends on the dispensation (that ought to fire up a few comments)!

Is it Biblical to keep the Sabbath?

The teachings of Scripture must be kept in context. Can you be saved if you get out of the boat? Not according to Paul! (Acts 27:31)

My point? Even the things that the Bible does address must be examined in context. The things that the bible does not address are matters of principle and conscience and there is some degree of freedom there (except for those who hold to the regulatory princple, Nadab, Abihu, strange fire and all that).

19. mattjtayl

mattjtayl New Member

I don't understand how singing songs in church and music is sinful and not biblical. In the old testament King David and Israel would sing psalms and use music in their worship. The Lyre is a well known instrument used in King Davids reign. If music is so evil why did King David use music?

Have you ever heard the psalms of the old bible sung in Hebrew as they once were in the days of King David ? Absolutely beautiful. Trying to sing psalms by themselves in English can sometimes yield not much melody. I notice people will repeat lines in the psalms just to get it to rhyme so it sounds more like a song. The psalms were once beautiful songs in Hebrew that rhymed without any modification needed to be done. Through all the translations from Hebrew to English much of the psalms original melody was lost. I started listening to psalms sung in Hebrew so I can hear how they were actually sung and sounded like in King David's reign. "By the Rivers of Babylon", a famous song sung by the Melodians and then later sung by Sublime, is from Psalm 137. To make psalm 137 rhyme many repetitions were inserted in the song and they repeatedly sung "by the rivers of Babylon". A lot of alterations were made to the original psalm just to get it to rhyme. If you ever get the chance to hear Psalm 137 sung in Hebrew you will discover that there doesn't need to be any alterations done to the original wording for the psalm to rhyme and sound like a song.

It is so easy to pick out a bible verse and skew it to what someone wants to prove. I have read many christian forums and seen how the meaning of scripture can be completely different across the many denominations. King David would never have sung songs and played musical instruments unto God if it was an abomination. One of the psalms if I remember tells us that we should sing songs to the Lord.

#39 mattjtayl, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
  20. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

The OP isn't really about instuments in church as much as it is about how we pick and choose verses that support our position and acuse everyone who differs as non-biblical. For instance I was once in a Sunday School class (not mentioning the denomination) where everyone was saying that the 10 commandments apply to today. When I asked about the Sabbath, some said that it had been changed to Sunday, others said that as long as you use 1 day as a sabbath. Yet if the commandments apply neither position is listed. Another example is that a preacher must be the husband of 1 wife. We hold strict enforcement of that position but give great leeway when looking at how he manages his children and household or if he even has them.