1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do Wesleyans believe?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by samarelda, Apr 9, 2006.

1. samarelda

samarelda New Member

There is a program on our Christian radio station each Sunday called "The Wesleyan Hour". I hear little of it because of the time of day it is on. I am curious, however as to what the Wesleyan's believe as far as salvation and major docrines. (Is that how Wesleyan is spelled?)

This may seem like stupid question, but here goes. How do Southern Baptists differ from IFB?

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Wesleyanism may also be accurately called Wesleyan Arminianism. Arminians believe in "general redemption," which is the doctine that Christ died for everyone, and not just for the elect. The type of Arminianism that Wesleyans hold to includes the belief that one can lose his salvation, which is a doctrine that Arminius himself never taught.

Besides loss of salvation, the word "Wesleyan" refers specifically to the belief in entire sanctification as a second definite work of grace subsequent to regeneration.

The Wesleyan Church was formed by the merger of two denominations in, oh, seems like '69 or something like that--the Wesleyan Methodist Church and the Pilgrim Holiness Church.

The goal of all these offshoots is to get back to the original Methodism that transformed England and evangelized America. (Good luck...)

The finest book I could recommend is Skevington Wood's The Burning Heart, a glorious biography of John Wesley and an exposition of his thought.