1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you all think about "accountability partners?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Mar 24, 2008.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Yes, I agree with you, a forced arrangement would never work. There needs to be some mutual respect and shared experience. Beyond just showing up at the same meeting. You may actually have more success with an online friend and the anonimity of the internet than someone you see every day but don't trust.
    Absolutely. God does judge our sin. Your partner is not your judge, God has already judged you. We are not talking about someone pointing out the sin in your life. God has hopefuly already done that through the Holy Spirit. What we are talking about is after repentance getting encouragement and strength not to backslide again.
    There is of course always a chance of that, but what you need is another brother who is also dedicated from fleeing temptation and staying away from that ditch. Hopefully you stay away from the sin, but you need someone you can talk to openly and honestly about the temtation and desire of the flesh. And if you do fall, having confessed and received forgiveness from God, your partner encourages you not to fall again. The conviction /judgement /forgiveness /confession is all between you and God, your partner is just a fellow believer there for support and help. What I have seen and is really cool here is that your times of weakness will be your partners times of strength and vice verca. Not unlike a marriage relationship you can make up for each other's weaknesses and be stronger together then you ever could be alone.
    You are right on here too. Temptations are not sins, and hopefully you overcome the temptation and never fall into the sin, but in our judgmental society today some believers will condemn you for even admitting the temptation. I am at times be guilty myself. Some temptations I just cannot understand and some sins I could never forgive. But you don't need my forgiveness.

I don't think we are that far apart here skypair, just with a different perspective and experience. Had I seen this done as you described I would have had problems with it also.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I appreciate this posting...

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Oh, really? (In England, BTW, "Oh, really" is an insult!). :laugh: So Jesus said, "Let's all pair up with another same sex man/woman and have them ask us embarrassing questions the rest of our lives??" Isn't that called "marriage" if the sex is opposite?? :laugh: How about kids? You think they deserve any "accountability?"

Whoa!! Are you really so naive as to think you know who speaks for the Spirit??? Do believers make mistakes? Oh, yeah. I guess they do since they need "accountability partners." :laugh:

Of course we are accountable to a "host" of people besides family -- but it is also foolish to think that we can limit it to one person outside of God and family, isn't it?

Larry, I believe in the "7 horns/7 eyes" (Rev 5:6) by which God directs our lives. Yes, government, family, conscience, law, etc. should "govern" our lives. But not person individual. Can you imagine anyone being THE moral arbiter of your actions???

skypair

#23 skypair, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Always kind of wondered if the Holy Spirit can't keep you accountable how could a man. Silly me, what do I know
    "Well, since you used the word "silly," I have to agree. "

Oh thank you so much, I really needed that encouragement from a "brother" :tonofbricks:

"It is a great misunderstanding of the Bible to reject the idea of accountability partners."

You might point out where I said that in my two sentance statement.

"The Bible is replete with instruction about mutual encouragement and accountability."

Enlighten away and list what you would call "repleat."

"To set the work of the Holy Spirit in accountability against the work of other believers"

You can't even read between the lines of my comment and find all that.

"would be like saying "I don't need a preacher; the Holy Spirit will teach me." "

Humm thought He did. Again, silly me. Sure preachers have their place, but since we are believer priests, indwelled by the Spirit same as the preacher - seems we might do without him if the need arose.

"That's biblically naive."

Just silly me again I spose.

"The HOly Spirit uses the work of other people in our lives to accomplish his work."

He also works in lives all by His little lonesome without people at times as well.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't think Jesus said that. Neither did he say that marriage was about accountability or asking each other embarrassing questions. For my part, I don't find the questions embarrassing. I suppose if you are failing they can be embarrassing. I think discipleship and holiness is not embarrassing at all.

Yes, I think they make mistakes, but those who speak "for the Spirit" are known by how they conform to the Bible. Accountability si not about more revelation. It is about obeying what we already know.

I wouldn't limit it to one person.

Yes, I can. God is the one who is the moral arbiter of our actions. And he has instructed us as believers to encourage one another to measure up to that standard.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You are the one who used the word to begin with.

Why? I don't think I said that you said it.

The word is "replete" and I gave a number of references already.

I know. I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the thread in genearl.

Not if you are going to be biblical.

Yes he does, but the pattern of the NT is that the Christian life is lived in community, not alone.