1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you make of Luke 2:14

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lagardo, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I know that some have feelings about Textus Receptus, and I am not trying to stir up that debate.

But there is a one letter difference between TR and NA26 that makes a significant difference in the translation and exegesis of this verse.

The TR uses Eudokia and the verse is translated:
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men"(KJV)

The NA26 uses Eudokias and the verse is translated:
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased." (NASB)

The reading of the NA26 is consistent with the context in that the Angel has appeared to the shepherds and told them 1) A savior has come and 2) He is the messiah. It seems fitting that what the multitude of angels is proclaiming is that God is reconciling His people to Himself.

I would love to hear what wiser scholars have to say on this...especially those of you who understand Greek better than I.

2. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

While we're waiting for the true scholars to respond, I would like to put in something that came to me about this verse.

I don't believe that "good will toward men" means that all are saved. I believe that God does indeed have goodwill in His heart towards people. This good will is not as ours would be. He does not excuse sin. He is never uncertain about what is right or wrong, and He knows all we think and say and do. This verse is a beautiful restatement of the truth that He wants all men to come to repentance. God is love.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I say it, "Peace on earth, GOD will toward man."

4. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Are the angels saying two things:

Glory to God in the Highest, Peace on Earth to...

or three things:

Glory to God in the Highest, Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Men.

5. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

Lagardo, you provided the best answer to your question. The above quote seems like a good summation to me. How amazing God's love is.

"It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him." Lamentations 3:22-24

6. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Thanks! That was my final conclusion.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The NET Bible comments on this:

8. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

"at the birth of the Saviour God’s peace rests on those whom he has chosen in accord with his good pleasure"

Those are powerful words!!!! Thanks, Marcia

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David Palmer, in his translation of Luke writes:

"Later Greek manuscripts say, "and on earth peace, good will toward men."
    But the earlier reading is a Semitizing construction characteristic of Luke chapters 1 and 2.
    This Semitic expression is found in Hebrew in the Dead Sea Scrolls in several Qumran Hymns: "the sons of his (God's) good pleasure," 1 QH iv.32 f.: xi.9; abd "the elect of his (God's) good pleasure," viii.6; and also in Aramaic, in a fragment from Qumran, "among men of his good pleasure," [SNIP]
    The Sahidic translation of this phrase of the angels' song reads, "And peace upon earth among men of his desire."
    Similarly, later in this gospel, a voice from heaven says about Jesus, "You are my beloved son: in you I had good pleasure." See Galations 6:16
    (end quote)

Rob

10. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Slightly off topic ... the "trouble" with all these efforts to get at the meaning of the phrase is that for me, all I can really hear is Handel's "Messiah" version, "Good will, good will, good will ...."! <smile> Never mind what is correct; it is what is carved into the consciousness by music that stays!

Similarly with German-speaking Handel's rendering of "Wonderful" and "Counselor" as two separate attributes of the Messiah rather than as the singular "Wonderful Counselor". Somehow the power of the music keeps on separating them in my mind when I hear the text.