1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Do You Read to Your Children? What Do You Allow Them to Listen To?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, Nov 15, 2011.

?
  1. We don't have devotions, we struggle here!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. We do have devotions, but aren't consistent!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. We use(d) a genuine Bible, not a "Childrens Version."

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. We use(d) both a Childrens version and a Bible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. We don't allow any secular music in our home.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. We are selective about what secular music we allow.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  7. We monitor what is watched on TV/Movies.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  8. We do not monitor what is watched on TV/Movies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. We do not allow internet. (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. We do allow internet but monitor what is allowed.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Now that we have a less than 2 yr old (22 month daughter), plus our 11 yr old (son) in the home together, I thought I would ask what you all recommend for reading to them, devotional time.

• Should we read "The Bible" to them, is it (more) advantageous than a "Childrens" version? (I'm talking NASB)

• Should we read a "Childrens Bible" to them instead? (I'm wondering about this, as I believe Bibles to be the Word of God, not paraphrases, and wondering what to do here and your thoughts) Is it more powerful to get the "Word of God" (talking actual Bible here v. "Childrens Bible") into them at such a young age?

• What have you done with your children in devotional time?

Currently we are reading The Pilgrims Progress to them both, just a short excerpt from this at a time, and yes, unabridged. The boy is intrigued and remembers what was read the day prior, our daughter not so much but enjoys getting down on the floor climbing on me, pulling my hair and ears, and laughing, then she gets quiet when we pray for a minute (sometimes).

We haven't been reading "The Bible" to them, but we do talk about Scriptures and what the Bible says, and concerning the passages in The Pilgrims Progress. We have read some of a Children's Bible to them though.

----------------------------------------------------

Moving on to my other subject, what do you allow/not allow them to listen to? After witnessing the immoral antics of Spears/Cyrus/Perry/Gaga and others along this line, I definitely will not allow my daughter to grow up under this music with its immoral and anti-Biblical/Christian message.

And men, are you involved in this, or is this "the womens arena?" I believe that most of this in todays church is what the women are doing, and that the men aren't leaders here (but gladly want to lead a church, but miss it on their family.)

• What music do you allow/not allow?

• What TV do you allow/not allow?

• Do you allow/not allow internet?

• What movies do you allow/not allow?

Please share your insights as to what has worked, maybe what has not worked, and what you are doing in these areas. Please, no snide remarks about theology, unChristian attitudes in comments to antagonize & such like. If you feel the need to come across this way, just don't, it's not becoming of a Christian to do so. Thanks.

* (Concerning the poll, it is very limited as to questions allowed, and those are the best I could come up with. Please elaborate or allow for "other" as an option. Thank you. )

- Peace

#1 preacher4truth, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011