1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think changed after the coming of the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I am curious what you all believe changed after the coming of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2?

The HS is mentioned many times prior to His arrival in Acts, but this Pentecost event was most certainly unique. I'm wanting to know what, if anything, changed in our world after His arrival.

Is man's nature or abilities affected? Is God's revelation of Himself any different? Are people more or less convicted of their wrong doing as a result? What, if anything, has been changed with His arrival?

Any input you have from your perspective is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The Holy Spirit was present before Pentecost - what changed was the Holy Spirit was given to dwell in those who believed in Christ to empower the church and to convict, teach, and lead individual believers.

Prior to that, the Spirit was given to certain people at certain times but there was no permanent indwelling.

I am not sure that for individual unbelievers there is any difference from prior to Pentecost to after except for the witness of the church in the world and possibly this from John 16:

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Great verse. It seems to me that God has sent the Holy Spirit to unbelievers so as to convict them of sin.

Do you all believe that the Holy Spirit was doing this prior to Pentecost? If so, then what is the difference, if any? If not, then how did people get convicted of sin before Pentecost?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think for those to whom God gave the Holy Spirit, such as David, they did get convicted of sin. I'm trying to think of someone in the OT who was not given the Spirit and yet who was convicted of sin, but I can't think of one off-hand.

The biggest difference from before and after Pentecost seem to be that one can be indwelt by the Holy Spirit after Pentecost. I don't think the Holy Spirit was ever inactive, however. Scripture does not say much about the role of the Holy Spirit in the OT although we know He had a part in creation (Gen. 1:2), He was sent to certain people (especially prophets) for specific purposes of God, and He inspired scripture (which is a pretty big role). We know this also from the NT about the prophets and writers of scripture being inspired by God.