1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think God's central purpose in everything is, why?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by zrs6v4, Jan 3, 2010.

1. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I thought I would ask a general question to see some responses.

What do you think God's purpose is in Creation, The Fall, Redemption through Israel, and all of the events in time? Im not talking about each individual topic but what is the point in everything God is doing and why?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

For His glory, becuase that is what scripture states is the answer for 'why' question. :thumbs:
    Exactly how each events does this can be broken down into its various aspects but central theme is 'for His glory'.

BTW - it is the same with the church and 'why' we are here - to glorify God (for His glory)

#2 Allan, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  3. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I agree 100%. I have been thinking of some of the tough questions I have been asked. They are very difficult and possibly impossible to answer, but because God's key purpose is for glory then it makes sense out of a lot.

I know you will automatically disagree with much of what I say, but it's ok.

Here is an idea of my thinking
    1. God can do anything He is limitless in power and sovereingty
    2. God sends people to hell that he either knew before birth would reject or that He destined for hell (many would hate me for this statement :))
    3. He allows all sorts of evil to happen that He can easily stop including infant death, abortion, Holocaust, diseases, and so on.
    4. He loves everyone and wishes for them to be saved and I don't think He takes pleasure in infant suffering etc...^
    5. He elects a few to salvation and leaves many in their sin to receive justice
    6. God's glory is priority and He Himself suffers because of His perfect Plan including allowing those He loves to go to hell and suffer greatly.
    7. thus His deep longings are set aside for a greater longing and ultimate purpose, Glory.

#3 zrs6v4, Jan 3, 2010
  4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actaully, no I don't.

Agreed.

The first part - agreed (regardless of which side of the fence on stands).

The second part - No mainstream Calvinist, Reformed or Puritan would agree with that statement, as is, without a little more clarification.

Agreed.

Agreed, and you can add to 'infant suffering' which he takes no pleasure in the sufferings of a child, teenager, or adults. Taking pleasure in the suffering contradicts love in which resides mercy, kindness, and grace.

I agree, though our view of election is slightly different.

I agree to a point but I do disagree however with your point of 'God suffers' as this would imply Him being, in some sense, powerless to complete His will which is accomplished for His good pleasure. The fact that God's love is toward all men and that God desires all men to repent and come to the knowledge of truth does not negate His pleasure if they do not, as His pleasure is dependant upon His purpose and plan.

[/quote]7. thus His deep longings are set aside for a greater longing and ultimate purpose, Glory.[/QUOTE]
    On this one we both agree and disagree somewhat. I do not beleive any of His longings are set aside much less His 'deep' longings. I do however believe He has given provision for all His longings to be manifested while leaving some desires subject to His will and glory.

5. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Yeah I realize that. I think He somehow must elect unsaved for their purpose. This is done in a different way than the believers although I don't think it is passive as if He has no control over what they do. Somehow God has complete control over the wicked, but remains free of sin and temptation, and they ultimately do what they were purposed to do.
    This is where I knew we had some differences

I do not mean powerless, but He suffers by setting aside His power for a greater purpose. A good example would be of Jesus dieing on the cross. I think this affected God. Another one would be when the flood came in the days of Noah. I think in both cases He suffered powerfully by holding back His mercy for His greater plan. I agree that He accomplishes things for His pleasure. I would also argue that God suffers much more than any of us could imagine from the cross to being rejected and hated by much of His creation to His painful sacrifices. There is nobody who suffers like God and God does it for His glory. I also will say that this suffering God endures powerfully is not a weakness or His inability to bring about a better plan. Suffering is clearly part of a great plan.

When I say set aside, I mean that to achieve His glory His love for mankind and longing for them to be saved is set aside. I don't mean He ceases to love, but His glory is the greatest purpose, His ultimate pleasure, and desire. While at the same time of meeting this great pleasure He takes no pleasure in people going to hell and suffering to death, but it is necessary so the Scriptures will be fulfilled.

I don't understand how He feels when He gives justice/wrath to sinners though as I haven't thought about it. I would think that love and wrath both play together, but I am uncertain if He ever stops loving sinners. I would think so and I wouldn't think so at the same time, hah.

On a side note, I realize that all of this is brief description that deserves greater detail.

#5 zrs6v4, Jan 3, 2010
  6. donnA

donnA Active Member

to glorify Himself

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen. :thumbsup:
    Soli Deo Gloria!

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heheh, I've heard it preached and am in agreement; when it's all said and done and over with, when time is no more; every creature in the universe will know, there'll be no doubt; there can only be One will.