1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think of Michelle Wie?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ChurchBoy, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

I know she is very talented but is she getting overhyped to much?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's hard to be over hyped in a PGA event. You can see exactly where she is in the standings. Now, whether she makes the cut (top 70 and ties) or not (Miss Wie yesterday placed 73rd) is another question. But AFAIK she is in the hunt seven stokes behind the leader.

3. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

That fact that a 15 year old girl can do this is amazing. I thought about this. Think about the best men's players in the world right now. How many of them could have the cut of a PGA event at age 15?

4. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I agree with ya' ChurchBoy!! This girl is amazing!

5. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Just read the AP sports wire. She didn't make the cut. I wonder if so much pressure so early in her life will have a negative effect. Personally, I enjoy the hype she generates.

6. Pronto

Pronto New Member

Does make watching a generally boring tournament worth watching. Remember it did take Tiger Woods 8 attempts to make a cut when he was an amateur. She seems to be learning to "close the door" so to speak when she is in contention. But then again she is only 15! Contending on Thursday and Friday is one thing, contending on Sunday is a whole 'nother ball game all together.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

To be honest I think she and her parents and the media are making her to be more than she really is.

I really don't care for ladies playing on the PGA- thats why we have an LPGA.

If she does want to play in the PGA, she should do well in the junior circut, then have some quality wins in the LPGA then think about playing in the PGA.

At least Anika Sorenstam was dominating in the LPGA when she played in the Colonial a few years back.

8. west

west New Member

I know NOTHING about golf .Question how would she rank including the men in the world of pro golf ?

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Wie and Annika are not in the same league. If Wie maintains her focus (and doesn't become golf's version of Tracy Austin), she will do amazingly well, and will probably be full time on teh PGA, and I don't like to say that. But, if she can keep up with the boys, then she should be allowed to play with them.

Right now, Annika is a better player, but she is much older with much more experience. Wie is 15, an amateur, who has played in a relatively few number of tournaments.

Sponsor's exemptions are an interesting thing. Since sponsors are putting up the money, they should have a say in who shows up. It would be foolhardy for them not to invite Wie. She is a draw. They said the galleries around here were Tiger like. But as a general rule, I think people ought to have to earn their way on to the tour. Maybe sponsor's exemptions should be limited, so a person can only get 2 or 3 a year. Who knows ...

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

With respect to West's question about where she fits in with the men, she is probably in the bottom quarter of the best 100 players in the world. She finished 73rd in a field of men that didn't include the best players in the world. I didn't see who all was playing this week, but most of the big names were already in England for the British open. If this was a normal PGA field, she is probably out of the top 100 I imagine, but there is no way to know for sure until she plays more.

11. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

I really do not understand why Wie doesn't play more LPGA events. She can play with the best women right now. She was tied for the lead going into the final round of the Women's U.S. Open just a few weeks ago. Doesn't it make more sense for her to go dominate the LPGA for a few years and then try to play on the PGA tour in say 5 years. In five years she will be only 20 years old, extrememly young by PGA standards.

I know Wie has stated that her "goal" is to win the Masters. Whether this is actually even remotely possible I do not know. She is a very "large" woman. She was 6" tall at age 13. But I'm not sure how much stronger she will get. I get the feeling she has already maxed out in terms of physical ability, i.e. strength, endurance, hand-eye coordination, etc. She can play at this level becasue she was an early bloomer physically. I'm sure with weight training she can get stronger. Because if she wants to compete with the men on a consistent basis she will need to drive the ball farther.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

She may have been tied in the final round of the open but she choked in that round and ended up finnishing at 23 or 24 I think.

She has yet to win an LPGA event, I don't think she is as good as Anika Sorenstam. I personally don't think she will ever domnate in the LPGA like Anika does.

Unfortunatlly I think that her parents want her to be a prodigy- and she is good, but she isn't good enough for the PGA tour.

13. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Yes, she played poorly in the last round of the US Open. However, she played great golf for three rounds to place herself in postion to win. Yes, Wie is not as good as Anika right now. But where was Anika when she was 15? Also, Annika has dominated because of a lock of serious challengers. Now, there is new breed of young teenage phenoms that will push Annika to the side very soon. Paula Creamer, an 18 year old, won a LPGA event in May. Morgan Pressel, 17, and Brittany Lang, 19, tied for second place at the U.S. Women's Open. Wie is not alone. These new phenoms will take women's golf to a new level.

But I still think Wie is better served if she plays strictly on the LPGA for now. She should build up a string of success before taking on the men.

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate her..........

FORE!

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yes, she played poorly in the last round of the US Open. However, she played great golf for three rounds to place herself in postion to win. Yes, Wie is not as good as Anika right now. But where was Anika when she was 15? Also, Annika has dominated because of a lock of serious challengers. Now, there is new breed of young teenage phenoms that will push Annika to the side very soon. Paula Creamer, an 18 year old, won a LPGA event in May. Morgan Pressel, 17, and Brittany Lang, 19, tied for second place at the U.S. Women's Open. Wie is not alone. These new phenoms will take women's golf to a new level.

But I still think Wie is better served if she plays strictly on the LPGA for now. She should build up a string of success before taking on the men.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Those girls are good, but I don't think they will pose a real serious challenge to Anika. Not at least like Vijay and Mickelson pose to Tiger.

I think when Anika Sorenstam's carrer is over, she will be hailed as the best woman golfer ever. That my opinion of course.