1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think of Open Theism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Aug 13, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amen and Amen, Bro.

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Grasshopper (Strange name around the farm. I spray to kill grasshoppers in the alfalfa fields! :laugh:), I'm not so sure this is predominately a C/A issue as much as an inerrancy issue. But it is heresy, nevertheless.

Ed

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Open Theism makes prophecy incomprehensible.

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Not at all! God used many ways to show us His hand, His will, His desires for us, including His decree!

All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. 1 Tim 3:16

God uses His ways, means and methods to tell us His mind. It is to our benefit to study and come to know Him through His word, not to question His reason or to decide what He did or did not mean! His word is inerrant and has been since BEFORE the foundation of the world when He designed it all!

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

2BHizown, I think what Paul33 is trying to say is that if God only knows what MIGHT happen in the future, not what WILL happen, as some open theists claim, then bible prophecy makes no sense.

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I think we need to be very careful with these kinds of statements. Its like someone saying to a calvinist that your belief leads someone to the conclusion that God is responsible for original sin because nothing happens that He did not make happen. Just because someone does not hold to TULIP does not make them open theist nor does it lead to open theism.

Bro Tony

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Oh my, guess this is an apology then! Responded too quickly!
    I do agree with your statement that open theists are in opposition to inerrancy by their own statement and also I think this leans down such a dangerous road, not only of synergism but if extrapolated it would lead one right into atheism!

John Frame and Bruce Ware have both written to address this heresy of open theism!

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt to what it seems you may be implying about my faith and spiritual maturity with your use of 1Cor 2:14.

I think you might need to calm down on your allegations here; this is a debate board with someone having an opposing view to yours, try attacking the position instead of the anti… I mean person.

You are correct that God is the Truth, as that is His nature, therefore He can not lie as lying is not part of His nature, so He is limited by His Own self derived nature. Contrary to your belief God can be limited by His Own nature, example: He can not learn as His nature is Omniscient, you can not logically say God can learn and hold to Him knowing all.

The analogy of the rock never makes sense as it is a logical fallacy. Your comparison of the Son to His mother does not prove the analogy to the rock is possible, another logical fallacy. It is a truth that the Son is older than His mother, there is logic involved in that statement; there is no logical reasoning in the rock analogy. Further, you seem to be agreeing with me that man can not understand God’s infinite wisdom.

I believe we can not understand the depth of God’s divine knowledge in regards to His creation of time. You don’t seem to understand that I agree with you that God is Omniscient but I am not going to cast away that He is also the Truth as part of His nature as some would do to fit their heretical doctrine; and scripture also teaches that He interacts with His creatures within time as He created them in truth.

I don’t, somehow He abides in both, in and out of time, and that my point; nor did I say He was limited to time in or by His knowledge, I’m saying we don’t know the depth of His knowledge to understand how He does both. I am saying God’s nature being Truth and He being unchanging means He is limited by His Own true nature in His Own self existence because He is Truth.

I believe God of His own self derived volition (the ability to make conscious choices or decisions) does so within the scope of truth as He is Perfect in truth.

If you deny God can freely interact with His creatures within time while also not being restrained by time then it is you that is limiting God in regards to His Omniscience and Omnipotent nature to abide both in and out of time. I never said any such thing and suggest you read my post more carefully next time.

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "hardcore synegyst"?

I don't mean to get this thread off tract but please pardon my ignorance and explain what a synergyst is?
    How is it related to evangelicalism?

...and why does Norman Giesler's teaching lead one in this direction?

Thanks

Rob

#30 Deacon, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006
  10. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

First, 'monergism' is the belief that God alone by His grace is responsible for saving us by regeneration.

'synergism' is the belief that human will, plus God's grace are needed for regeneration.

Calvinists believe that God alone effects regeneration by His own sovereign will and effects of His irrisistible grace which causes one to respond with hunger and thirst for more spiritual light!

11. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Open Theism, at least as it relates to foreknowedge, election and predestination, is the logical consequence of synergism (or, it may be said, free-will theology).

We've seen the process right here on BB. Synergists ("non-calvinists"), in order to villify calvinism, in their zeal to defend free-will, when confronted with the clear logic that anything that God foresees (or foreknows) must be immutable, fixed, unchangeable, or else He would not foresee it; in their zeal, they unwittingly turn to open theism.

They come up with all sorts of theories that limit God's omniscience, even reducing Him to human indecisiveness. They say God repents, as a man would repent. God has a plan A and a plan B, and will keep working His plans until it comes out the way He wants it. He only "knows" the future in terms of what it eventually will be; but he does not know the actual events, persons, and times in which His will will be done.

#33 J.D., Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006
  13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That's a good point. I have never heard it put quite that way.

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

You read that before I edited it out. It was a good statement but I took it out because I was getting some apples and oranges mixed up there.

This is the conundrum for the synergist - they claim Christ died for every person without exception (even those that were already in Hell as Jesus bled), and that God is "trying" to save every person without exception. Yet, say they, election is according to foreknowledge (as they mean it, foresight), God having looked down the corridors of time and saw who would believe, and therefore elected believers to salvation.

Now, by their own doctrine of foreknowledge, it is established that the future is fixed and unchangeable. So they have God "trying" to save those whom He knows will not be saved.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Do you mean a "rhetorical question?"

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am not a Calvinist and am also strongly opposed to Open Theism, as are many other non-Calvinists I know. I have not turned to Open Theism. I do not believe God changes his mind, that he is influenced by men, and that he only knows portions of the future. I believe that God knows all things all the time ("all the time" being something from the perspective of man since for God, he just knows).

Like many Christians, I acknowledge that God's sovereignty and man's limited will are not in conflict, but that it is a mystery we cannot understand or explain. If we could, we would not have endless debates here on the BB on that topic.

BTW, I do not want this thread to turn into a Calvinist/Non-Calvinist debate -- please! :wavey:

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

God does not go against his nature or he would not be God. You may call that a limitation if you wish, but I don't think that is what was meant by whoever said God has no limitations. God cannot make a rock so heavy he can't lift it because such a rock cannot exist. That's just because God is God.

I learned the above from Dr. Geisler. And much more. I've used what I've learned from him pretty successfully here on the BB many times and in my ministry. :smilewinkgrin:

:tongue3: :tongue3:

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, Bro Tony! :thumbs:

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but there was a hilarious conversation in a game my kids were playing.

Man1: "What will they think of next?"
    Man2: "I don't know what they'll think of."
    Man1: "Don't you know what a rhetorical question is?"
    Man2: "Nope, I have no idea."