1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you think of the John Macarthur NASB BIBLE?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Elk, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Elk

Elk New Member

Is it worth buying? There is a revised version.
    Thanks for your opinions.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I have the Hardcover in the NASB. It's a good study tool.

3. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I do not have the MacArthur Study Bible in NASB yet, but:

1. I have Scofield in NASB for daily reading and a Scofield in HCSB for study. I Like the NASB, it is pretty accurate and the 1995 edition is quite readable.

2. I know people that have the MacArthur Study Bible in NASB as first Bible and carry it every where and are very satisfied.

3. John Macarthur is a very good Bible teacher.

4. One day I will buy it, but for the moment I use a Ryrie Study Bible in NASB for the same things that I would use a MacArthur Study Bible.

I think you would be happy with it, expecially if you the theological apptoach of John MacArthur.

4. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm coming to this party a little late, sorry.

I have the 2006 hard cover version of this Bible. It is my favorite study Bible out of the 28 study Bibles that I own. The notes are theological in nature as opposed to inspirational. I always say that if my house were on fire, I would grab this Bible first, but I would pull a few other Bibles before heading out the door.

I like this Bible so much that I ordered the same in the NKJV and with genuine leather binding. This has been a very frustrating experience since the publisher has been out of stock on these for over 4 months and right now the delivery is end of October. I spoke to customer service at the large mail order retailer that we all know and love and the nice lady told me that they are getting 100s of calls from customers wanting to know when this Bible is going to ship.

Back to the question at hand, the Bible is very nice. The hardcover binding is not so good. I take very good care of my Bibles, I always put them away when finished reading them, I always wash my hands before reading them (not as a ritual, just to keep the pages clean), I don't fold back the pages or dog ear the corners and I rarely write on the pages. This edition though is not going to last more than a few years. It is not a high quality binding. The paper quality is ok but the margins are not big. Not a problem for me as I don't write in my Bibles.

Having said all that, buy one, use it for a few years, after the covers fall off and pages start to come apart throw it away. Then go buy another.

Tom

5. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

The content of the MacArthur's NASB Study Bible is great! The only problem I have with it is the very poor construction of it. They use a very poor grade of Genuine leather. Unless you get the Calfskin leather ( I don't know if it is avail. anymore)
    it is better to get the hardcover and save money. I am waiting for my KJV Longprimer Bible from Allan's Bible in Scotland. They sell the best hand made leather Bibles in the world. Only top quality leather is used. I am very picky when it comes to my Bibles, I want them to last a long time. I use them alot so cheap leather will not last me 6-9 months. Do yourself a favor and go to bibles-direct.com and look at some. They have reviews of Allan's Bibles at bible design and binding website with good pictures. It will be money well spent my friend.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the NKJV MacArthur study Bible but assume the notes to be basically the same as the NASB. Good notes and conservative baptistic, pre-mil, dispensational content no matter if using the weaker Greek (like the NKJV) or the better (like the NASB).

All of John's commentary series (top drawer stuff) using the NASB so it stands to reason he would adapt his study Bible to that text.

That old Gyrene (Evangelist Tim Lee) gave me the Mac Study Bible as a love gift and I think/pray for him each time I take it off the shelf for reference.

7. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I owned a genuine leather edition in the NASB for a while but I recently gave it away to a missionary. I own or have owned most all of the major study Bibles and I would have to say the MacArthur Study is one of the best in the class of the Ryrie Study Bible (extensive commentary) or the NIV study Bible (extensive although more ambiguous).

I thought the binding was quit good for a genuine leather edition, the two ribbons are a nice feature that I wish more study Bibles had, I would love that in the Thompson Chain Reference from Kirkbride which I use, the leather was not as nice as say a calf skin ESV Bible from Crossway but solid.

It is available in the NKJV in a Nelson Signature Edition, very nice, http://finderscheapers.com/books/1/...wrk=1&gclid=CM3Ul63Om5YCFR8SQQod-XR07A&aid=sp

It is a great tool, I just didn't find myself using it a lot in sermon preparation so I gave it and a few other Study Bibles away to a missionary who gives them to folks in his business travels who are in areas where Bibles are hard to come by due to Islamic government restrictions.