1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what do you think?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Vera Hammoudeh, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It came from consideration, from thinking the matter over.

Do you claim to see each person you meet on the street solely on his own merit, without judging him against your experience with people you think are like him? Have you learned nothing from your previous experiences that you would apply to your present experience? It is a shortcut, sometimes accurate, often not, to assessing a new person.

Prejudice tips over into bigotry when you insist that the new person must be a certain way because the group in which you place him tends to be that way.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Daisy

There might be hope for you yet!!!

However, out group homogeneity moves from bias based upon past experience into prejudice when you act upon predisposed bias without evaluating the current (new) data . . . I think you call that bigotry . . .

Wayne

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carpro
    Doing a little profiling of you own?:smilewinkgrin:

Don't be intellectually dishonest. :smilewinkgrin:

Your "scared" of the men from the South that you somehow deem not decent

How do you profile their decency so you can decide whether you are scared or not? By their actions , looks, accents or part of the country they are from?

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Carpro

She sure does squirm alot! Makes me think she's got something to hide . . .

Wayne

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Pot calling the milk black there, buddy.:smilewinkgrin:

I didn't say "men", did I? But why require any kind of honesty from your own self, carpro? It might cramp your Coulterish style.

I don't "profile" them - that was your ridiculous contribution, not mine. You does loves your strawmen.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Wayne,

That is discourteous of you. For shame, ganging up and insulting me to your buddy.

I no longer acknowlege you.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Carpro

You and I are buddies now . . . She is realllllly squirming around about something - you must have gotten to her. I think deep down she wants to admit you just remotely might be absolutely 100% right on the target.

I just wish I knew what you said that was on target. I would congratulate you.

Oh well, God bless you buddy!

:wavey:

Wayne

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Daisy

You really have squirmed a lot on several threads lately. I do worry about you. And being a normal person, when you start squirming like that - it makes me think you are trying to dodge something.

Suspicion of someone that is displaying nervous behavior is a normative human reaction.

I really do not intend that to be mean spirited - if I did I would not waste my time writing you this.

9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

If God could so love the world and Jesus was able to die on the cross because of his love for us, how could we not love one another and others to any of a lesser degee.
    1 Peter 3:14
    But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
    We can't stop those who are committed to do evil, we can however take precautions without judging a person by thier looks.
    John 14:27
    Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
    These are the words of Jesus and he was from the Middle East and known to be a rather common looking man. Would you be compelled to be drawn near or be distrustful because of his appearance?

10. Forever settled in heaven

sorry, but unless u guys r engaging in a pte conversation, i missed out on the "squirmy" bit.

at first glance, it does appear like a buncha guys ganging up on Daisy. but i'm none the wiser. do feel free to enlighten me n any others still in the dark. :confused:

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Why enlighten you?

It took pages to enlighten Daisy . . . and I don't think that I have the energy.

You could just read for yourself.

:wavey:

12. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

:laugh: :laugh:
    Be careful El Guero, some folks might interpret your statement as being rather squirmish.:smilewinkgrin:

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No private conversations (at least, none that included me). What is here is all there is.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Regardless of which side of the fence you were on - I am not going back to read this thread - it took enough energy the first time through:

This was funny.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

But, some highlights of the thread were:

And the part that I didn't add at the time:
    Overall the thread has been an interesting look into how people all admit to out group homogeneity, but still expect everyone else to be nice to them. And as is typical with out group homogeneity, people do not feel they should be nice to the out group in return for the out group being nice to them.

#75 El_Guero, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  16. Forever settled in heaven

bold: never heard of that before--care to explain? at first i thot it was a typo :smilewinkgrin:

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bold?

Not fer a Texan . . . just day to day truth . . . ;)

Out group homogeneity is the reaction of the human brain to data about people groups. If an hispanic baby is raised by a Korean couple in Korea the child will not easily distinguish between other hispanic people. The child would see the hispanics as an 'out group' and they would all seemingly blend into one. This is often described as "They all look the same to me." While this statement is true, the sentiment that is usually conveyed is not one of "I am different from you", but rather a sentiment of "I am prejudiced against you."

By itself out group homogeneity is not prejudicial. By itself out group homogeneity is not wrong. Unfortunately, out group homogeneity does not add character to the average person as he or she tries to deal with someone of a different ethnic makeup.

More later

18. Forever settled in heaven

thx, EG! i can certainly relate to that! :thumbs:

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No big deal really.

Daisy sometimes forgets what she writes in earlier posts.:type:

20. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member